NZ_InFerno

New Daily - Manual 130i

1 hour ago, Matt said:

I've just replaced my bmw performance shifter boot and knob with something else. Was thinking of selling it, if you're interested?

Could be keen, pm me pics/price 

• Like 1

Turns out I was very keen 😀

IMG_20201202_171931.thumb.jpg.17119ab2a2f632c10a486c5872c87724.jpg

Install was very easy after a quick Google. New stuff looks way better than the tired and worn original factory bits. And being proper bmw parts was guaranteed to fit 🤣. Shout out to @Matt for hooking me up and providing install advice too. 

IMG_20201202_171314.thumb.jpg.e34e278462ba41a3d0ad741ea2999329.jpgIMG_20201202_171318.thumb.jpg.f9a5ea1ecd0cf4c0734bef199a0144a7.jpgIMG_20201202_171329.thumb.jpg.f0fa5e60bfcadbf369eddc16e8b9104b.jpgIMG_20201202_171322.thumb.jpg.babb7acd79c7e6e83e562028cd650e43.jpg

Alcantara goodness. Bonus pic of existing fauxcantara mirror 

IMG_20201202_171936.thumb.jpg.f97dfb6a335b9c699bc12c06c88afed8.jpgIMG_20201203_150533.thumb.jpg.537b16265cb342d57b922c892cc32e0f.jpgIMG_20201203_151857.thumb.jpg.d44695a7a20cd21fa2e3064d3d328a42.jpgIMG_20201203_151904.thumb.jpg.630fd6bb698f985024e74cab3a44d045.jpgIMG_20201202_171435.thumb.jpg.c8322a6681289c39b0039e4959d0c8bc.jpg

Have been driving round with the BMWP pieces fitted for a week or so and it's definitely a much nicer place to be. Only thing is the BMWP shift knob is way, way too small for my hand. Knew this going in but thought I'd give it a try for a bit. 

So will be looking to swap (or buy) for a different gear knob, keen on a zhp one if anyone has one. Or a factory Msport that isn't worn. 

Also have another interior piece to go in, assuming I can make it work 😅. Once I tidy up the idrive plastic(probably scratch off the soft touch stuff that's peeled away) interior will be looking really good and refreshed  except for the steering wheel. Will be doing something about that! 

Hopefully will get engine mounts and sump gasket done in the next few weeks. All parts still sitting here. Just waiting on lift space. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 5

Bit of an update, bought a bunch of detailing supplies after Xmas to give the car a good going over and clean. I've wanted to give the car a good detail since buying it but fixing up the mechanical side was the first priority. Now that has all been done, or I have the parts in the garage, it was time to work on getting it shiny.

I've kept it relatively clean since buying but really wanted to clay bar and cut/polish to sort out the multitude of fine scratches and get the headlamps clear. I had previously attacked the headlamps with a turtlewax headlight  kit, to remove glue from the previous owners "eyebrow" install. This somewhat helped but they definitely could be better. 

Last week I started with mag monster on the wheels and then G3 detailers cleaning spray, rinsed off and then washed the car again. Once it was really clean I started with the claying and did most of the car before leaving it for the next day. 

I came back to it and found I'd managed to scratch up a few areas worse than before 😥 but mostly it felt much smoother and used a tar and bug remover to get everything else off the car. I pulled out the polish to attack the scratched up sections but hand polish wasn't enough to remove the new scratches nor some older scratches. It did take out a lot of fine scratches but not the finish I was optimistically hoping for. I'd also exposed a fair few stone chips and at this point decided to seek professional help 🤣

Booked it in with Final Touch to get a two stage machine polish, headlight polished and their stone chip paint touch up.  Went in today and it came out brilliant, exactly what I was after. Car looks absolutely phenomenal even though it was very clean already before going there lol. 

IMG_20210128_171953.thumb.jpg.fce8ad4457cc6e10f91840e01c532c3d.jpg

The dent on the back corner is still there! If anyone knows a dent guy let me know. 

IMG_20210128_172026.thumb.jpg.5fc10d2342a259452b1237f627159d13.jpg

The front end is a massive improvement with the headlights being crystal clear, de-aging the car. No stone chips on the bonnet looks much better too!

It had been bugging me that the car didn't look as well cared for as it was, but now it really reflects how much work/parts have been put into it over the last year. 

IMG_20210128_171945.thumb.jpg.afe31e3821d441f9d034350053d478c9.jpg

Super happy with how it all turned out, it was what I was initially after(taking it to a detailer) before deciding to have a go myself.  With this I did a lot of the groundwork and was able to get the stone chips taken care of too. So a better finish than just getting a standard detail. 

At least I have all the gear to keep it nice and shiny now :D

Engine mounts and sump gasket hopefully going in within the next month, dependent on time and space on the lift. Will be 100% mechanically buttoned up then 🤪

• Like 8

I wonder if you can reach that dent from the inside and just push it out yourself?

54 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I wonder if you can reach that dent from the inside and just push it out yourself?

Hot water over the top and then use the suction cup end of the girlfriends "shower aide."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Have to remove some trim but definitely possible to reach. I'm not sure it'll just push out, its been there a while and it's right on a crease line. I'll go watch some how tos and see what's possible. 

Looking really good now, well done. That dent will be a bastard, even for a pro just because of the swage line. Its possibly the worst place for a dent.

We used to use Bevan at Dent Magician a lot at my old work and he always seemed to do a good job.

• Like 2

Fitted another interior piece over the weekend courtesy of @Matt

IMG_20210705_134121.thumb.jpg.6e847c03c7415867eb1438dcc0919e7f.jpg

IMG_20210704_160457.thumb.jpg.6c1ed22dc94078102ef9e77d28de3194.jpg

Looks and feels awesome, goes well with the bmw performance alcantara bits on the handbrake and shifter. Doesn't match my fauxcantara mirror though 🤣

Have barely driven the car this year, so only noticed that the headlining sagging has gotten much worse since last time I checked it so I've booked it in to be replaced. Not cheap :S

Swapped the BMW Performance shifter knob back to the stock and its a million times better. The BMWP knob looks great but its way too small for my hand. 

Still have an intake boot to fit on the car, and the oil pan gasket/engine mounts might finally get done soon. Though I've said that a couple of times. Here's hoping anyway 🤞

• Like 3

Have ordered new rotors/pads/brake sensors for the car. The pile of parts in the garage is increasing 🤣

Car failed its wof on dumb sh*t the other week. Both (newish)rear tyres had roofing nails in them, one fog light was too high and rear indicator bulbs were no longer orange. Have fixed these and had a tyre place patch the punctures. 

Other thing it failed on was tints being too dark, which is annoying af since it passed at the same wof place last year and they had no comments or issue. Will be going to a tint place to check if they're too dark and get them removed if that are not legal 😑

Car finally got a wof yesterday, tints had to be removed on all windows which was a pain. There's factory tint on the rear glass and windows so it's pretty similar tint in the rear as before now but the front is much lighter. 

I'll drive around for a while and see what it's like and if I want to retint it to 35% at the front.

Wof place noted the sump oil leak was pretty bad, so that's the next priority. Still haven't got it done as been difficult to find the time and lift space/free engine brace to do it. Have had all the parts for some time now. 

The Wof also noticed some weeping from the power steering hose pipe so will have a look at that when we do the sump gasket/engine mounts. 

All brake rotors /pads and sensors turned up so have a lot of parts to put on the car. This will finally have all the mechanical bits sorted that have been outstanding on the car since I bought it. 

Next things will be sorting various minor cosmetic stuff on the car. 

• Like 2

Sump gaskets not a bad job, just time consuming and messy with the subframe still attached. I got the engine brace on tardme for like $70, welcome to borrow it but might be a bit of a commute!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Sump gaskets not a bad job, just time consuming and messy with the subframe still attached. I got the engine brace on tardme for like $70, welcome to borrow it but might be a bit of a commute!

Cheers for the offer man. Might have to take you up on it if all falls through 😅. Yeah it's me and the bro in law having the time, and then lining it up with the lift space and engine brace being free and available. More of a priority and willingness now so it should happen. 

Put a new starter motor in today, heck of a job that needed a 2nd person to get the manifold off.

IMG_20210910_150807.thumb.jpg.2234357b3a96c43d4e9fcf5ee0c73433.jpg

Cars been sitting for a month as it didn't start at all just before lockdown, pulled a starter code so ordered a new one through fcp euro and all the associated bits. Or so I thought. 

Starter got delayed on shipping through lockdown, and detoured through Australia as well, so only started pulling everything plastic off on Thursday. Got down to throttle body on the manifold so left it. 

IMG_20210910_133345.thumb.jpg.8d2569d7b12db38dd4d6e7f454559680.jpg

Friday I discovered that I should have ordered a breather hose from the back of the valve cover, as they break all the time being removed :S, so I spent an hour carefully getting it loose. The PCV system was done a year or so ago so all hoses were new. 

IMG_20210910_150818.thumb.jpg.648be5405d536229cc61e797ea41a623.jpg

I then got the throttle body off and all other connectors, there is a few, and finally it was time to tackle the manifold. And yeah not a one man job 😅

IMG_20210910_133358.thumb.jpg.4d3ad2282bb236ea801d51eea30ff3aa.jpg

Got my bro in law over today(well yesterday) and we got it out no sweat, 5 or 6 connectors underneath that would have been a nightmare doing it myself. Got it all back together in much less time with:

- new starter and bolts

- new intake manifold gaskets 

- new(to me) Turner Motorsports intake boot 

- nice clean throttle body 

- confirmed both DISAs have been replaced 

- cleaned up power steering reservoir to check where its leaking

Car started immediately, much improved. Didn't take a photo of the shiny starter but it looked good. 

Ended up doing some troubleshooting after starting as car ran rough and was throwing misfire codes. Checked all coils/plugs and found when we put the manifold back on that the oxygen sensor wire had got pinched, luckily could release it from the manifold and the wire insulation was torn but the wire was undamaged . Quick repair and fired up again, no codes and runs mint. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 3

Its a fun job aye :D Engine mounts/waterpump/etc are all easier than doing the starter. That block of heating connectors is a SOB, worst designed thing for install removal ever. Ive done it about 4 different ways now, thinking there must be easier way.. there isnt, the BMW gods require the sacrifice forearm flesh and blood. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, balancerider said:

@NZ_InFerno really hoping you can have a period without anything breaking on this. Feels like you’ve replaced every engine ancillary now…

I was looking at my list of parts replaced (it's big) and the starter was the first thing to actually fail on the car in my ownership. I did buy it with known problems. 

I had a lot of issues at the start that could have been solved with more knowledge of the car by myself and also a correct diagnosis of the valvetronic motor issue by the mechanic. That alone got thousands of dollars wasted on parts/labour that probably weren't required. 

But yeah I was thinking while I was in there that if I do the belt and the front pulleys(if needed) that pretty much every ancillary from factory would have been replaced. Wild. 

I've never really got wrenching on cars before(as they never needed it!) so owning bmws has helped me learn a lot, it's quite satisfying at times. DIY compared to a mechanic also makes it seem cheap(plus fcp euro) so I go overboard in ordering new parts and joining bimmersport has me being proactive in replacing them. 

Car still has a couple niggles from when I purchased it, oil leak/brakes, so once those parts are on it should be more maintenance bits than big ticket parts. 

I got the car cheap with the problems it had at purchase, and compared to the going rate for a manual 130i today I'd get what I've put in back if I sold up. Only way I justify it haha. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

Its a fun job aye :D Engine mounts/waterpump/etc are all easier than doing the starter. That block of heating connectors is a SOB, worst designed thing for install removal ever. Ive done it about 4 different ways now, thinking there must be easier way.. there isnt, the BMW gods require the sacrifice forearm flesh and blood. 

No 🤣

I'd read guides from fcp and pelican parts and even though I've never done this before it didn't look too complicated. I was a bit out of my depth once I got to the manifold. 

Everything under the manifold was an absolute pita to disconnect even with two people. Especially the other plastic breather. 

That block, junction box with all the wires?  Took me an hour to do the two screws holding it on. Definitely the worst part, used a flexi socket to finally get them off. 

Someone had been there before so there was some unusual wiring to disconnect too. The starter power cable was run through the manifold so had to be removed to take it out. 

There was also a couple of things not in the guides, an unexpected bracket on the manifold(rhd car feature?) and taking the strut braces off helped a lot. 

Glad it's over now 😅

Had the car into the local dealer for the two outstanding recalls on the 130i. Takata Airbag and the Heater line. 

Both got done and the new airbag certainly looks new 😂

IMG_20210929_151405.thumb.jpg.b32c6a689d11c53ccd65d010e9801ba5.jpg

Gave the car a thorough clean inside since I haven't treated the leather since last Summer. The leather cleaner/conditioner  is still drying in the above pic. 

I've ordered a bunch of cosmetic parts for the car so got some parcels on the way to refresh worn or damaged parts both interior and exterior. Its just a few things that let the car down from looking 100% like the front kidneys and a couple others. 

I only ordered now because there's a 6 week lead time from Germany through the dealer for one part, and a 40 day wait from  Schmiedmann for another part. Hopefully they'll turn up in time for Xmas/New Year. 

Only thing I'm looking out for now is the steering wheel insert/cover which you can see peeling above in the pic. And maybe a newer looking steering wheel if the price is good. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Only thing I'm looking out for now is the steering wheel insert/cover which you can see peeling above in the pic. And maybe a newer looking steering wheel if the price is good. 

Alcantara, 5 pieces in stock... and a surprisingly reasonable price.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/product/1933133-new?product=32-30-0-430-403

2 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Alcantara, 5 pieces in stock... and a surprisingly reasonable price.

https://www.schmiedmann.com/en/product/1933133-new?product=32-30-0-430-403

Its Left hand drive only for some reason. It was in my cart for about 6 months before I realised. 

The genuine bmw one on there(which I nearly ordered) says both lhd and rhd. 

1 hour ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Its Left hand drive only for some reason. It was in my cart for about 6 months before I realised. 

The genuine bmw one on there(which I nearly ordered) says both lhd and rhd. 

🤨 je ne comprends pas?

The one I linked to is genuine BMW, it's exactly the one I purchased, and they're not handed, the LHD and RHD steering wheels are exactly the same part, as are the fittings and accessories.

If you like it, pull the trigger with confidence, even the product page says it's genuine BMW.