hunter

Project E39

Good luck! My E39 drove me insane hunting for noises but I did learn a lot. Very satisfying once you figure it out. 

24 minutes ago, adro said:

Good luck! My E39 drove me insane hunting for noises but I did learn a lot. Very satisfying once you figure it out. 

Cheers man. Yeah annoying as it’s all new gear.
Will track it down. Hasn’t done it today yet haha. 

• Like 1

Switching to my driver's seat renewal project, to renew my punished 22-year-old driver's seat with as fresh as possible foam.

I scored a passenger sport seat back a while ago for the material, and have decided to use the foam and material for the refresh on the driver seat. As well as a new back frame from @hqstu

The reason being is the Trimshop believes the outer bolster slackening the current seat has, is due to the seat chassis being bent, rather than just foam deterioration, the shape is defneatly off so doing both makes sense.

The bottom is also ruined, with the chassis rail digging into my legs. Rather than muck around trying to find a good condition seat bottom, I've bought a new one from FCP because they are available (for now) and new is best, something the seat back is not readily available as. I will be reusing my material as it was repaired 2 years ago,

So, the new seat cushion is a week away, and the back is more or less ready to swap out, so by the end of the month, I should have a decently refreshed driver's throne :)

Edited by hunter
  • Like 4

With the drivers seat refreshed it’s super comfy the only issue being now I’m sitting on fresh foam I feel like I’m sitting higher in the car but I’m sure that will bed down.

it’s great to have the support on both sides of the seat from the back and from the seat bottom. 

The reassembly process went without a hitch and I managed  to not break any of the old trims which was really good. 

• Like 2

Ill have sit in it sometime to see what its like compared to all the used seats.

Edited by Eagle
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Eagle said:

Ill have sit in it sometime to see what its like compared to all the used seats.

You’re welcome to come and try it out 

• Thanks 1

In impromptu project news some xenon’s with broken adjusters came up in FB today I snapped them up. 
this one might be a slow burn, I might be kidding myself about that. But goal is to hopefully pull them apart, fix adjusters and replace lenses too. 

not the easiest job in e39 lights but far cheaper than new ones. 

On 6/28/2022 at 7:58 PM, hunter said:

In impromptu project news some xenon’s with broken adjusters came up in FB today I snapped them up. 
this one might be a slow burn, I might be kidding myself about that. But goal is to hopefully pull them apart, fix adjusters and replace lenses too. 

not the easiest job in e39 lights but far cheaper than new ones. 

Let me know if you want to cash up the halogen ones..

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BMWTouring said:

Let me know if you want to cash up the halogen ones..

Will do mate. Will be a while away as I slowly rebuild these xenon’s. 

Cleaned up and tested the xenon’s today they work well aside from the adjusters which have turned to shrapnel inside the light bodies. 
need to fix some stuff in the Toyota then will start buying parts for the lights. 

looking at adjusters on eBay there are 2 different kinds listed for 2000 on e39. Anyone have any advice on what kind to get. 

I think facelift/non facelift?

2000 was still pre-facelift upto August or September iirc. Should just be listed as facelift vs pre-facelift adjusters. I think ive got some suitable facelift ones lying you can probably have.

Edited by Eagle

Sounds good @Eagle

keen to take a look and you can try my refreshed seat out. 

I think they’re pretty cheap genuine mate from memory. We used to sell tons of them.

Sweet. I thought they were no longer available. Will give the boys a call tomorrow. 

12 minutes ago, BMWTouring said:

I think they’re pretty cheap genuine mate from memory. We used to sell tons of them.

Edited by hunter

Yeah ive got a set if want them. PM me and i maybe able to drop them off tomorrow.

Pretty sure BMW never had made or listed facelift adjusters like they did for pre-facelift

A while since my last update.

few mini projects on the go;

- Driver seat refurb is holding up well and is super comfy

- Xenon project is bubbling along. new lenses arrived yesterday. still need to buy butyl sealant & a heat gun.

- Style 66 project. I have a full set of 5 wheels now after buying individual wheels from all over the place, worked out much cheaper than a full set all at once from recent sellers. you just have to be patient. these will eventually be repainted and have new tires.

- Suspension -  to finish this off, I need to do rear Integral links and carrier bushings, have the parts & saving for some time to pay someone to do it as its fiddly. Not urgent will do before Christmas.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hunter said:

- Suspension -  to finish this off, I need to do rear Integral links and carrier bushings, have the parts & saving for some time to pay someone to do it as its fiddly. Not urgent will do before Christmas.

I can do it for you if you want.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2022 at 3:26 PM, Eagle said:

I can do it for you if you want.

Awesome man. I’ll pm you to tee up a time. 

Massive Thanks to @Eagle who gave me a hand this weekend to diagnose the clicking from the the front end. 
removal of the lower control arm showed a broken sleeve in the steering knuckle. 
With a piece missing from the bottom of the sleeve and the rest of the bottom of the sleeve falling out onto the driveway it was obvious to see where the noise was coming from. 
So am  now looking for a good condition steering knuckle (wheel carrier) as I don’t want to muck around with re-sleeving. 
550FF9EC-7F0D-41C7-8823-BA2D529769EC.thumb.jpeg.0cc8a5157efdf7a83419f4045f277bb5.jpegA31BDAC2-8132-4835-9714-610BCD52053A.thumb.jpeg.be43c3735440c12d58f622ea84ac9105.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Yeah hopefully someone has something available locally

1 minute ago, Eagle said:

Yeah hopefully someone has something available locally

Mosens has nothing sadly. 
BMworld has one so might have to mission up for that. Else new ones is ~500 landed from Pelican. 

• Like 1

No one wrecking any on tm, facebook etc? I guess try Nick Weitz tomorrow but yeah Auckland will have plenty. 

1 hour ago, Eagle said:

No one wrecking any on tm, facebook etc? I guess try Nick Weitz tomorrow but yeah Auckland will have plenty. 

Nick doesn’t have any either. There is one locally here in hams on TM. just saw a response from the seller. 
might go check it out this week.