Jacko

The 130i Thread

You would be surprised how many people hate them.  Especially down here with the out of touch.

"Bloody people with those LED lights (pronounced 'Lead' like the element).  They are too bright so I high beam them as they go past"

I get high beam flashed at least a few times a week by idiot farmers who are happy with their candle powered sh*t old H4's that are shaking so bad and so poorly aligned it gives people on the ISS epileptic fits.

I just high beam them back now.  Sick of it.  Went right out of my way to make sure my lights are perfectly aligned.

Edited by Driftit
  • Haha 2

NZ new vehicles have some of the weirdest options list on some cars..

• Like 3

I have too many already! And the temptation of an Alpine White manual with a CF airbox might be too much!

• Haha 3

Do I need that little spoiler?  I think so.  Anyone know the make?

All these nice Air intakes.

Also mine is an LCI with Hydraulic steering.  I never driven one with the electric steering.  Wonder what they are like.

7 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Do I need that little spoiler?  I think so.  Anyone know the make?

All these nice Air intakes.

Also mine is an LCI with Hydraulic steering.  I never driven one with the electric steering.  Wonder what they are like.

Rear spoiler: no idea sorry and I've looked at a lot trying to find one I like for mine. But that one does look good, it seems to fit really well.

Intakes: I know right? Somebody needs to send some intake love my way.

ePAS: We're lucky as the Japanese LCI's are all hydro units. The UK guys say the electric ones are vague, some even retrofit HPAS. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Rear spoiler: no idea sorry and I've looked at a lot trying to find one I like for mine. But that one does look good, it seems to fit really well.

Intakes: I know right? Somebody needs to send some intake love my way.

ePAS: We're lucky as the Japanese LCI's are all hydro units. The UK guys say the electric ones are vague, some even retrofit HPAS. 

Well I just got told by the Mrs that the spoiler makes it look like a Swift :(

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

ePAS: We're lucky as the Japanese LCI's are all hydro units

I didnt know about this, so my MY2009 130i from japan would have had the hydraulic steering?

because I always thought it was hydraulic then I sold it and later on was told that the LCI's were electric, but since being in F20's and other newer bmws with electric, I still believed my old 130i was indeed hydraulic, felt great tbh, very similar to the old E46 330ci and better.

Yea what's the goss on how to tell between the respective types? Reservoir with green tag on the lid = hydraulic?

Edit: It's funny how even GT3 tier Porsches are running EPAS with fantastic feel but BMW.... Not so much.

Edited by leichtbau

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

Well I just got told by the Mrs that the spoiler makes it look like a Swift :(

Reminds me of the R53 Works GP for some reason, I quite like it.

1 hour ago, qube said:

I didnt know about this, so my MY2009 130i from japan would have had the hydraulic steering?

Yep.

4 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

Yea what's the goss on how to tell between the respective types? Reservoir with green tag on the lid = hydraulic?

Yep (although this pic is of a PFL but same rules apply).

hpas.jpg

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, M3AN said:

This one has some nice bits on it...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/2770660792

Yeah, lady who owns it is on the 130i faceballs group, its definitely been loved and looked after. Nice car. 

25 minutes ago, Jacko said:

...its definitely been loved and looked after... 

If that's the case then it's probably good money, sensibly priced although I'd want the big wheels for the price she's asking for the 17's.

11 hours ago, Eagle said:

Seems a fair price for what you are getting.  https://www.facebook.com/commerce/listing/2657893684478189/

Too bad they dont do it for me as there's lots to choose from.

Ooo thats nice!  The black LCI one was listed for around 13 originally, 10k is pretty good buying I rection. 

Was just looking up some prices of old cars for giggles, and thought Id look up the price of a 130i in NZ in 2006.

Base model 130i automatic - $79900 ( I read somewhere the cupholders were an 800 british pound option)

Base model 5 door Golf R32 DSG - $58,790, all the options would take it to ~$68000...

Wonder why they didnt sell many...

Edited by Jacko

Wow, and the golf r32 is the pimp spec fancy model. Crazy the 130i was so much more expensive. 

1 minute ago, KwS said:

Wow, and the golf r32 is the pimp spec fancy model. Crazy the 130i was so much more expensive. 

Explains why they had to edge out the R32s numbers by introducing the high output N52 with the 130, or it'd look even worse on paper. 

R32s sound immense, and the Golf IV seats are epic (V's are meh) but dynamically the 130 is WAY more entertaining... dunno if its 20k more entertaining though. Would take a special kind of person to throw 90+k at an optioned out hatchback. 

Interesting how an R32 is now more expensive than a 130i, though on par with a 135i

1 hour ago, eliongater said:

Interesting how an R32 is now more expensive than a 130i, though on par with a 135i

Rarity most likely. A lot of imported 130is, being low kms and cheap for what they are if you browse the Japanese car auctions. 

Edit: looked it up and not huge numbers of 130i in NZ, still R32s much less common. 

https://www.carjam.co.nz/nz-fleet/?order_by=count_desc&make=BMW&model=130i

Edited by NZ_InFerno

Having driven both, the MK5 R32 is a more special car to drive than a 130i. The sound, the DSG and the darty awd handling combine to make them great fun to drive. Its still one car that is on my list of "have driven but not owned, but want to", except now they are getting so sold that I couldnt own one due to the risky nature of DSG. The VW manual boxes around that age are a bit rubbish.

I would own a mk4 R32 though with the manual box. The interiors are sh*t, but there is something about them.

Edited by KwS

41 minutes ago, KwS said:

Having driven both, the MK5 R32 is a more special car to drive than a 130i. The sound, the DSG and the darty awd handling combine to make them great fun to drive. Its still one car that is on my list of "have driven but not owned, but want to", except now they are getting so sold that I couldnt own one due to the risky nature of DSG. The VW manual boxes around that age are a bit rubbish.

I would own a mk4 R32 though with the manual box. The interiors are sh*t, but there is something about them.

Ive nearly bought a Mk IV R32 a few times, but its just understeer central when loaded up, 130s are more fun. A Gti Is probably more fun to be fair, without the soundtrack, GTi at least understeers without having to drag around the extra weight of a drive shaft/haldex/diff/halfshafts... Haldex's of that generation are poop.