Jacko

The 130i Thread

First water pump lasted 230,000km, valvetronic motor is at 287,000km still sweet as. .. One lady owner (in truth most of the km I do are open road) 

• Like 2

It was an Auckland traffic crawler after that too.

• Like 1

I want a 6-spd Le Mans Blue LCI with updated iDrive, hydraulic steering and sprinklings of BMW Performance tat, not too much to ask is it?

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

I want a 6-spd Le Mans Blue LCI with updated iDrive, hydraulic steering and sprinklings of BMW Performance tat, not too much to ask is it?

There's 58 "Blue" 130i from 2007 on (pre March are non lci) in NZ from a quick look on nzta vehicle registration data. 

Only one listed as a manual but realistically  maybe 10-15 of those are manual?

Majority of them were imported in the last 5 years so could be less than that.

There's a hundred more listed if you can live with pre-lci le mans blue. 

Rarest colour seems to be red, less than twenty 130i in NZ. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

First water pump lasted 230,000km, valvetronic motor is at 287,000km still sweet as. .. One lady owner (in truth most of the km I do are open road) 

Mines had two valvetronic motors in 180k, and a waterpump 🤷‍♂️

OK, so I have to ask the question Dan seeing as I own one...

Why the " if you can live with pre-lci "-- is it not as good as "LCI"? - or all down to personal preference?

Be interested to understand the differences other than what Wiki says (electric power steer, revised bumpers and interior changes -whatever they are)

Is there a link on here?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gofaster said:

OK, so I have to ask the question Dan seeing as I own one...

Why the " if you can live with pre-lci "-- is it not as good as "LCI"? - or all down to personal preference?

Be interested to understand the differences other than what Wiki says (electric power steer, revised bumpers and interior changes -whatever they are)

Is there a link on here?

They don't want a pre lci, hence the comment. 

Yep, they're the differences. March 07 was the changeover in manufacturing to LCI models. You can get lci with hydraulics (better 😁), not sure how common it is, my lci E87 had it.

Interior is door cards, they're full leather rather than knobby plastic with leather inserts. Updated iDrive in newer cars. Instrument cluster has an oil temp gauge added. 

LCI cars have the Black top engine vs silvertop in pre-lci(is quoted in some places as being 190kw vs 195kw silvertop, not really noticeable 🤷‍♂️). Blacktop was changed a bit to be more fuel efficient. Valve cover is made of a different material iirc and some other changes. 

Rear light design is different. Lci definitely looks more modern from the rear. All these things can be swapped onto a pre-lci , door cards and lights being most common and relatively simple from what the Internet says. 

Pretty sure some weak points or known issues were changed too. I've not seen a definitive list to link, this is mostly from bits I've read on various forums/groups. Babybmw or the 130i Owners group may have a write up on it. 

I have two 130i(used to be three, could shortly be one), an lci E81 and a pre lci E87. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 1

A few corrections/additions...

• All Japanese E87's, regardless of year, come with hydraulic power steering
  • LCI doorcards are not leather but they do have leather inserts, pre-LCI are all plastic
  • There are actually 2 "facelifts" the 2007 LCI and the 2010 where the only change (I believe) was the iDrive (CCC), in the US their "LCI" is 2010.
  • Pre-LCI does not have a temp gauge on the instrument cluster (sucky)

I think...

• Like 2

Yeah I did word that funny about the door cards, writing it up at 2am lol. 

The insert part is all leather on lci, pre lci it's the elbow rest only on the door that's leather. They also use a knobby plastic around the pre-lci door card, it's a smoother material on the lci. 

different gear knob shape and different center dashboard shape also.

Snapped a photo before the farm bugs came looking for water and before I drove down the dusty af driveway.
First wash this summer :(

IMG_20210125_205903.jpg

• Like 8

New high score achieved. Had fun with a sport bike on a closed road in the wee hours :) 

141675748_10157418186672693_2658863899275708463_o.jpg

• Like 7

Haha if that's the car I feel sorry for the bike rider.

• Like 2

I saw him pulled him over afterwards, and drove past, was drenching himself in water at about 1am.. pretty funny. Turtle VS Hare :)  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

New high score achieved. Had fun with a sport bike on a closed road in the wee hours :) 

The bugs look like a motion blur!

Anyone had the Takata airbag recall on their 130?

No.

Having said that, I got a "safety recall" early last year, followed the instructions, was advised I would be contacted in 2 business days and have heard nothing since.

BMW obviously don't take safety very seriously at all.

Booked online thru website and 1st March is the day🤔

Yep I'm booked in for February for airbag and the heater valve recall. 

Also got my car back from the detailer today 😍

IMG_20210128_171953.thumb.jpg.b42dee7311338a0f15eaed0f969ba797.jpg

• Like 5

Been doing my own 'detailing'. Removed all the swirls of light scratches in the clear coat. Touched up a couple of chips, etc. Found some sparkle in the paint I didn't know was there! 

Approx 2 days work and $70 of consumables with a borrowed supercheap $150 buffer. Good enough when compared to the $500 I was quoted.

20210106_142907.jpg

• Like 4