Jacko

The 130i Thread

Done the recall for the breather heater thing.  Was a nightmare.  Thanks Winger and good riddance.
Not had a call up for the Airbag.  If I do I am going to some other dealership to get it done.

• Like 1

Is there a thread on recalls for the heater breather thing and airbag recall? Do Jap import cars qualify?.

If so, how do we get notified?

Edited by gofaster
Due to response from other member

3 hours ago, Blackie said:

Been doing my own 'detailing'. Removed all the swirls of light scratches in the clear coat. Touched up a couple of chips, etc. Found some sparkle in the paint I didn't know was there! 

Approx 2 days work and $70 of consumables with a borrowed supercheap $150 buffer. Good enough when compared to the $500 I was quoted.

20210106_142907.jpg

That came out awesome! Super lucky to have access to a buffer. Once I worked out I needed one the cost for it, plus pads, compound, headlight finishing stuff, paint touch up etc it was similar to getting a pro to do it. Worked out well as the weather's been so crap here I wouldn't have had the time nor space to do it or to get it done in time. 

I'm fully stocked to keep it clean now though lolIMG_20210115_164702.thumb.jpg.83adf84e9fed682bcef750ff93263739.jpg 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

2 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

3 manual 130i listed yesterday on trademe including one very familiar blue one 😜

Bad timing then?

Yes, mine is re-listed - mostly trying to get value for money from trademe. I'm under no pressure to sell, the car is under sheets but I could always do with the garage space. I have another two BMW's on the drive plus the wifes beater (read that carefully). Car juggling is getting old. I've had some interest in the 130 and probably half a dozen genuine ono but I'm quite firm on $11. Car is easily worth that to me, and if it isn't to others, then I'm quite happy to hold onto it until it is haha. Prices seem to be generally holding.

Nah, yours is probably the best priced one considering condition, has the lowest amount of kms too. When I went through the email again I noticed another one was a re-list so only one new one which is a pretty interesting spec for a dealer car 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/2956631523

I picked up a spare key fob today, obviously the physical key doesn't unlock my car but can the electronic fob be reprogrammed to unlock/start my car? Might x-post to quick questions.

31 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I picked up a spare key fob today, obviously the physical key doesn't unlock my car but can the electronic fob be reprogrammed to unlock/start my car? Might x-post to quick questions.

Pramod in Wellington does key reprogramming, I forgot what his bimmersport handle is but he has a website now https://www.nztuningbay.com/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Driftit said:

Done the recall for the breather heater thing.  Was a nightmare.  Thanks Winger and good riddance.
Not had a call up for the Airbag.  If I do I am going to some other dealership to get it done.

Airbag was done a long time ago.  Might in the pile of docs that was in the glove box or not.

Edited by GorGasm
  • Like 1

NZ new car dont have the recall it seems, not effected like the commoners cars. Something to do with different airbag supplier outside of japan.

4 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Another one with a GruppeM intake... but auto @ $15k. 🤔🤨

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/2897971880

There was some talk earlier in the thread about it potentially having a Quaife... Haven't been to check personally. ARC sbrace, Agency Power exhaust, BMWP wheels and pedals, proper rear wing, LED blacklines... Starting to look like not a terrible deal.

11 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

There was some talk earlier in the thread about it potentially having a Quaife... Haven't been to check personally. ARC sbrace, Agency Power exhaust, BMWP wheels and pedals, proper rear wing, LED blacklines... Starting to look like not a terrible deal.

Ahh yes, I forgot it had popped up for discussion before. I'm not a fan of the wheels or roof spoiler but I'd take the quad exhaust and intake.

It's just around the corner from me, I wonder what they'd say if I asked to "test the diff" and 11'd it out of the carpark?

But not $15k IMHO.

Hey folks

Just found this forum, saw you guys keep onto it with the ol 130is. After some googling and browsing other forums I think it may be the car for me wanting a hatchback manual with a nicer than wrx interior, but not terrible performance.

Now I am on a relatively strict budget and saw this bad boy pop up on trademe 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/2956857896

I wasn't in Auckland prior to this weekend and had only caught the 130i bug a few days ago so didn't want to jump the gun and bid on it, but was suprised it didn't sell for the 9k no reserve.

Is there something I'm missing here? I am thinking I might text the owner and offer them cash on viewing today/tomorrow as I'm only up for the weekend. But being a complete noob would love any and all advice.

(Incase link isn't working, this is the 130i manual black with 155000kms).

P s. Had been a bit of a audi fanboy for a while but their manuals are just not something I can afford. Initial plans are I keep the 130i for two to three years and then consider upgrading into a committed weekend car and a family one, can't afford the two just yet. 

The car market is quiet. It seems like a good deal, although I personally couldn't live with those wheels. Check the service history for waterpump, gaskets, etc and also what brand of tyres and how much life left on them then make an offer.

• Thanks 1

Wonderful thank you! I'm new to bmws so any alarm bells I should keep an eye out for? What's a reasonable offer to make, it's been on the market I can see (it was posted on this thread earlier) since 15 December atlst so a wee while

I don't suppose the below one is a better deal, only 2 years service history?

Benefit would be I don't have to pay 1k to get it shipped down south ( I live in chch)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/792622097429141/permalink/4050162945008357/

Edited by Wouldliketolearn

Way less rattley than a WRX, doesnt have the same big turbo torque lump in middle of rev range, but otherwise heaps of fun. 

Stuff breaks, same as any other car, if you can swing a spanner and are happy to order parts online they are not expense to own or maintain though, and are otherwise very reliable.

The things that sneak up on 130s this vintage, if hasnt been maintained well, is oil leaks. Id get someone who knows what they are looking at (not AA etc!)  to have a poke around and under it before handing cash over, if the sump gasket is pouring oil out for instance its about an 8 hour job to fix (and makes a good bargaining argument)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Way less rattley than a WRX, doesnt have the same big turbo torque lump in middle of rev range, but otherwise heaps of fun. 

Stuff breaks, same as any other car, if you can swing a spanner and are happy to order parts online they are not expense to own or maintain though, and are otherwise very reliable.

The things that sneak up on 130s this vintage, if hasnt been maintained well, is oil leaks. Id get someone who knows what they are looking at (not AA etc!)  to have a poke around and under it before handing cash over, if the sump gasket is pouring oil out for instance its about an 8 hour job to fix (and makes a good bargaining argument)

That's amazing to hear! I've got an regular 2.0l non turbo legacy currently and had been assembling a wee set of tools doing it's regular maintenance and ideally would love to do as much and learn as much as possible re maintaining my own car as possible. 

Regarding maintenance, the gentleman/lady said in the past five/four years of their ownership has been serviced every 10,000kms and had a mechanical warranty  so I hope it's had all the maintenance done. That being said I'd be happy to take it to a shop, just completely new to bmws so don't know where. Anyone have any recommendations for up in Auckland. Seller is located in henderson if that helps.

Also am somewhat happy to wait for a good 130i to pop up if people think I'd be better off picking up a lower km model, esp with the 1k premium it'd cost to take it back down south to chch

I recently brought a car from Christchurch and I'm an hour north of Wellington. Some flights and ferry crossings are pretty cheap right now. I would fly up and drive back. No way it will cost that much.

Check the general discussion for shop recommendations although personally I think the AA is fine. Nothing cryptic about these cars and the AA can spot a leak.

Edited by Blackie
Shop recommendation
  • Like 1

So I've joined a few pages and asked to see what other 130i options are available and I've found this one in Christchurch.  Unsure on cost yet but if it had a good service history I think I could be tempted for the right price. 

I'm just unsure what this ⚠️ 012 means. Any ideas?

Should I avoid?

Also the one above, the lady said she would do for 8750 today which to me sounds reasonable, I've asked for the service history and if it looks good I may confirm today.

Thanks for all the tips guys!

received_187524743153441.jpeg

Edited by Wouldliketolearn
Photo add

I would just buy it.  You aren't going to know what you're getting regardless of an AA check or not.  It might cost you next to nothing over the next 3 years, or the ABS pump might fail the day after you buy it and cost you $4500.  With that said it looks like they have done the basics over their ownership which is more than many.

The dash warning is likely just that it's low on fuel.  Just ask if there's any current faults appearing or not.

Edited by GorGasm

57 minutes ago, GorGasm said:

I would just buy it.  You aren't going to know what you're getting regardless of an AA check or not.  It might cost you next to nothing over the next 3 years, or the ABS pump might fail the day after you buy it and cost you $4500.  With that said it looks like they have done the basics over their ownership which is more than many.

The dash warning is likely just that it's low on fuel.  Just ask if there's any current faults appearing or not.

Do ya mean the Auckland one or the Christchurch one?

The one in Christchurch I don't know much about to be honest, yet. I'm hoping to get more info from them soon.

Currently if they both have service history of atlst five years they both seem equivalent having both done similiar kms and same spec and color. Chch one does have convenience that I may pay a little extra for. 

the triangle is due to low fuel, the 012 is the trip meter in kms.

if possible the LCI is a bit nicer than pre LCI (aka facelift) but cant really go too wrong with these cars

• Like 1

Id argue the Pre-LCI has the better engine marginally, less plastic. LCI had better interior.... but honestly its not worth picking one car over another on either. Straight car thats been looked after is what to look for, and with the correct gearbox ( :P ) everything else is trivial (including km)

Some people like iDrive etc, I think its clunky and dates car etc etc etc. A straight looked after car is what really matters! 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

cant see the facebook link one

This one looks good if you dont mind an auto one

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/2939987308 

but if you're set on a manual then that one in auckland is probably the best "deal" at 8750. I'd even try get it a bit closer to 8000 since it didnt sell for 9k, and you have to travel for it.