Jacko

The 130i Thread

1 hour ago, gofaster said:

Bit if a c... up ordering the M3 gearbox mounts for my 130i.

Thought I would be clever and get some polyurethane ones from FCP Euro (Revshift PTM-BT 80A)  but upon removing the old ones, notice they need a bit of "flexibility" when removing/installing in/out of the slots in the mount - see pic.

Of course the Urethane ones dont move, so am stuck having to re-order standard rubber M3 mounts.

If you have done this before and have a better idea, I am all ears.

Cheers, John

Revshift poly mount.jpg

Looks like it might still be able to fit. 

What if you unbolt the gearbox brace from the chassis, drop the gearbox down a touch, then slide the mounts onto the gearbox, then raise it up to bolt the brace to the chassis? 

Thanks Nick, will try that after fitting M3 LCA's which I am just about to start.

Hope there are not too many gotchas with that job 😁

Okay, here is the first gotcha for the M3 LCA upgrade (Can  a Mod tell me if this should be in the Maintenance thread or 130i)

Attempting to undo the chassis end of the tension arm - see pic.

When undoing the bolt I noticed the strange clip/bolt retainer thing on the other end.

Do I just keep undoing the bolt, or should I remove this thing first (and if so, how??)

Does anyone have a link to a "how to" video?

Thanks, John

Tension arm chassis end bolt.jpg

Edited by gofaster

That just stops the nut from spinning while you undo the bolt.

Also @nick496for those gearbox mounts.  Don't tighten them up from the bottom until you have the box sitting on them.
But FYI.  You are going to feel every little vibration from the drive line.  Near solid mounts are really only good on the track.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1

Thanks Dan, reason I posted that pic was that nut started turning inside the surrounding bracket. Will try and get some vice grips up there to keep them together..

Noted re tightening gearbox mounts, I'll review the vibration once fitted as the car will get to do sealed autocrosses at my track (Ruapuna) after the grass season, however it is primarily my daily so will wait and see.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Cheers, John

Yeah, in case there's any doubt remaining those gearbox mounts look fine, a bit of jigging around and you'll be able to do them up. As for the nut on the tension arm it doesn't look like it could spin in that housing... regardless, just make sure you can do it up tight if you need to use an unconventional method to undo it. 

Cheers Dave, gave up on the Tension arm, think I have stripped the bolt thread somehow as it doesn't seem to be undoing or doing up when I turn it. Both sides of that housing broke off while attempting to undo it.

Off to yell at the walls....tomorrow is another day.

Will have a go at the mounts tomorrow once my focus returns.

• Sad 1

There should be a ton of Youtube how to's on this.  If you can't find one for the E87 just follow one for the E90.  Should be the same.

Actually going by this vid it is slightly different to an E90.  E90's don't have the locking tab,

If so you may need to cut it off and get a new bolt and nut.  Get an E90 style without that tab if you can.

Edited by Driftit

Thanks Dan

I did search for vids but none had that locking tab. Nuts and bolts I can do all day but unusual bits like this tab or upholstery clips/tabs etc play with my head 😁

Will see if I an get someone a bit more adept at this stuff over, and watch and learn...

I think mine were just a nut and bolt, maybe it a facelift thing?

@gofaster - you could just buy two zinc coated nuts to suit and be rid of the existing arrangement.

Any BMW 130i owners coming to the British/Euro car show in Wellington (Upper Hutt) this Sunday?

I'll be there with the club, thread on it here:

• Like 1

I'm heading along but will leave the car in the parking lot outside. It's had one wash in 4 months. And I can't get out of my drive without it getting filthy.

14 hours ago, balancerider said:

@NZ_InFerno this your one?

Yep, though it's not mine anymore. Sold it to a family member as running 3 130i was a bit overkill. 

Was hoping to buy it back off them in a couple years and manual swap it but they've decided to sell it now 😢

Guess we will know tomorrow if I have the 130 sorted!

didn’t end up being too bad. About $700 for the sensor,motor,breather pipe and rocket cover gasket kit!

D3E37D98-68D5-49E5-ABCC-7461A329CE16.jpeg

• Like 3

Looks like a damn nice 130, I dont think thats actually too silly overpriced. Its overpriced, yeah, but.. maybe by a couple of grand

Edit... singapore import...

Edited by Jacko

On 2/16/2021 at 6:47 PM, M3AN said:

At least it's being done properly.

think I am about to beat me head against a brick wall until certain death takes place......

replaced all of the above and the issue still remains. intermittent functionality of the valvetronic motor is still the main issue. Sometimes it will operate and other times it wont. Still get the same "valvetronic range" fault when it isn't operating. 

so the next question.... if the dme is telling the eccentric shaft to be at certain angle, but the valvetronic motor motor isn't operating to do so what exactly controls the valvetronic motor? possibility of it being a dme issue and not switching power to the correct side of the valvetronic motor?

Im assuming youve checked all plugs/pins/wiring for dickyness?

3 hours ago, Arron said:

think I am about to beat me head against a brick wall until certain death takes place......

replaced all of the above and the issue still remains. intermittent functionality of the valvetronic motor is still the main issue. Sometimes it will operate and other times it wont. Still get the same "valvetronic range" fault when it isn't operating. 

so the next question.... if the dme is telling the eccentric shaft to be at certain angle, but the valvetronic motor motor isn't operating to do so what exactly controls the valvetronic motor? possibility of it being a dme issue and not switching power to the correct side of the valvetronic motor?

That sucks.

The only things I can think of are:

1. Did you recalibrate the motor endpoints?
  2. Is the eccentric shaft cog damaged, even slightly?

To be honest I'm not sure how you inspect the shaft/cog but I read that it has tiny tolerances. Having said all that if the motor is only working some time then it's probably electrical or electronic. Here are a couple of links that don't make for fun reading...

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10151247-9999.pdf

https://freewechat.com/a/MzIyNDE2NTMxNg==/2650845166/5?raw (I used Google Translate)

Edited by M3AN

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

Looks like a damn nice 130, I dont think thats actually too silly overpriced. Its overpriced, yeah, but.. maybe by a couple of grand

I'd say 4+ grand over market... it's nice but it (probably) has no LSD. You and I need to be mindful of that when assessing these things because without the LSD they're half the car they should be. I'd never spend premium money on a manual 130i unless I was committed to adding a proper diff.