Jacko

The 130i Thread

20201022_143829.jpg

Laptoor exhaust (Japanese) Advan wheels (Japanese) Yokohamas,  M3 alcantara flat bottom steering wheel, new black hood lining, black grills and badges, ceramic coated, BMW short throw lever, Storm weighted gear knob, Lux H8 LED bulbs, Pedal Haus stainless pedal covers, mint inside and out.

Edited by outlawtorn
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, leichtbau said:

The E87 shape lends itself well to Japanese wheels. Car is looking M I N T.

Thanks, looks better in person than photos convey. Wheels are 18s with 225f and 255r, exhausts pops and burbles on decel (but not obnoxiously).

Lovely, looks a bit lower than stock suspension too... interested in the width and offset of the wheels and details on that rear spoiler. New to you?

9 hours ago, M3AN said:

Lovely, looks a bit lower than stock suspension too... interested in the width and offset of the wheels and details on that rear spoiler. New to you?

Hi...The wheels were on  it when I bought it in from Japan...I did wonder if it had different suspension considering the previous owner went to the bother of upgrading the wheels and exhaust with decent upgrades, ie not the cheapest or most common. Im not sure on the wheel offsets. but I will see what I can track down. Rear spoiler was on it too, I assumed it was a optional stock fitment? Ive owned it for maybe 6 months and apart from replacing the starter motor its been faultless (touch wood).

• Like 1

14 hours ago, M3AN said:

From what I researched they're  18x8J +45 f and 18x9J +50 r.  Run around us$2400 a set (rims only). For this size rim the retailer is recommending 225/40 f and 255/30r which is what I am running.  They weigh just under 8kg.

Edited by outlawtorn
  • Like 2

On 2/19/2021 at 3:44 PM, Jacko said:

Looks like a damn nice 130, I dont think thats actually too silly overpriced. Its overpriced, yeah, but.. maybe by a couple of grand

Edit... singapore import...

Outta curiousity does being from Singapore make it not worth it?

Thanks

Edited by Wouldliketolearn

20 hours ago, Wouldliketolearn said:

Outta curiousity does being from Singapore make it not worth it?

Thanks

They do have a stigma with a great deal of people and that affects the resale price.. Bit like monolithic clad 1990 homes.

https://autotalk.co.nz/news/red-flag-singapore-imports

• Like 1

@Wouldliketolearn generalisations about cars based on origin are unhelpful IMO, buy on condition...

The old line about all UK cars being rusty, Singapore cars humidity damaged (as though the southern half of Japan isn't just as humid). I'd probably steer clear of Aussie imports in the main because all we seem to get is their stat writeoffs!

2 of my cars that were singapore and 1 that was a HK import met the stereotypes. All were terrible vehicles. E36, E39 and a E38.

I will always advise to stay away from them.

Just purchased a cheap silicon intake hose from Ali (to replace the awful 'sound generator' one) because I couldn't find the Mishimoto one for a reasonable price.

Bets on chances that it will even fit? Assuming it actually arrives?

Edited by M3AN

Where did everyone get their Aero Spoilers ? Is it worth it to pay extra for OEM or is there no difference with the aftermarket ones. 

Cheers 

I got mine from Continental BMW when it randomly popped up on Trademe for a steal. Still not painted or fitted.

It seems that the repro's are about $200 landed from China or $300 for the same thing via Trademe, I suppose that $100 extra might buy you some degree of buyer protection but only if you could get Trademe to side with you.

The original BMW one doesn't fit that well and I wouldn't expect the repro's to actually improve on that situation, what I don't know is whether they're actually a worse fit. Probably not to be honest, it's a simple pattern to replicate.

OE Aero spoilers aren't available anymore from bmw and are pretty sought after. 

Never heard about them having issues with fitment, all the ones I've seen fitted look good 🤔

29 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I got mine from Continental BMW when it randomly popped up on Trademe for a steal. Still not painted or fitted.

It seems that the repro's are about $200 landed from China or $300 for the same thing via Trademe, I suppose that $100 extra might buy you some degree of buyer protection but only if you could get Trademe to side with you.

The original BMW one doesn't fit that well and I wouldn't expect the repro's to actually improve on that situation, what I don't know is whether they're actually a worse fit. Probably not to be honest, it's a simple pattern to replicate.

Would you be interested in selling your one?

On 2/27/2021 at 7:44 PM, M3AN said:

Just purchased a cheap silicon intake hose from Ali (to replace the awful 'sound generator' one) because I couldn't find the Mishimoto one for a reasonable price.

Bets on chances that it will even fit? Assuming it actually arrives?

I have a Turner motorsport intake hose (pretty much same as the Mishimoto I think) lying around at home that I won't be using. Combined with the Simota intake I have it was WAY too loud. It actually hurt my ears at 4k rpm, so swapped straight back to the factory one and it's been sitting under my house ever since. Will sell it for $80 shipped if anyone is keen. It fits perfectly, although I think you have to snip the little alignment tab for the factory setup off for it to slide on fully. Don't think you'll have the same resonance/noise issue I had with the factory air box setup

2 hours ago, Matt said:

I have a Turner motorsport intake hose (pretty much same as the Mishimoto I think) lying around at home that I won't be using. Combined with the Simota intake I have it was WAY too loud. It actually hurt my ears at 4k rpm, so swapped straight back to the factory one and it's been sitting under my house ever since. Will sell it for $80 shipped if anyone is keen. It fits perfectly, although I think you have to snip the little alignment tab for the factory setup off for it to slide on fully. Don't think you'll have the same resonance/noise issue I had with the factory air box setup

Well, if you still have it and mine doesn't turn up or fit I'll take it.

20 hours ago, duluth said:

Would you be interested in selling your one?

Not at this stage, I'm going to hold onto it until I decide what to do. I have a Maxton extension for it as well which complicates my decision a little. I am starting to feel the rear end look could do with some magic.

• Like 1

ARGH people that screw euro plates straight into the bumper cover instead of using a plinth or plate frame.

1495867723.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Was having a browse on Japanese auction listings and noticed only a couple of manuals, going for around $12k NZ ( 120k+ kms and shipped here). Autos are still priced where I remember ($6-8k and plentiful) from when I last looked a couple years back. 

Will keep an eye on it and see if they're becoming more scarce, thus pricier to import. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Was having a browse on Japanese auction listings and noticed only a couple of manuals, going for around $12k NZ ( 120k+ kms and shipped here). Autos are still priced where I remember ($6-8k and plentiful) from when I last looked a couple years back. 

Will keep an eye on it and see if they're becoming more scarce, thus pricier to import. 

I was wondering that, any idea who to go through with regards to importing one myself from Japan, there's such limited options in NZ, are there any companies/dealerships people have used here to import a bmw, and/or would you advise against it for a 130i manual?