Jacko

The 130i Thread

You definitely do not need to remove the radiator to do the waterpump and thermostat. 

• Thanks 1

Took my car in to get the valve cover gasket changed and got a call back saying the cover itself has been cracked by someone previously mucking around with it. Taking a relatively affordable job to about 1800 all up for a new cover from BMW. Any ideas on somewhere else I could acquire the valve cover from in NZ? 

Cheers.

Edited by duluth
  • Sad 1

Actually pretty easy to find the plastic black top rocker covers, they're available cheaper than this too - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-valve-cover-3-0-l6-11127552281

The magnesium ones for the silver tops are stupid expensive...

1 hour ago, duluth said:

Took my car in to get the valve cover gasket changed and got a call back saying the cover itself has been cracked by someone previously mucking around with it. Taking a relatively affordable job to about 1800 all up for a new cover from BMW. Any ideas on somewhere else I could acquire the valve cover from in NZ? 

Cheers.

You're not having much luck with that car? 

15 minutes ago, Blackie said:

You're not having much luck with that car? 

I guess not but got it for a good price. I'd say after I fix the window issue and get this sorted i'm about on par for market value with purchase price and maintenance combined. If it produces some more expensive surprises I think I will move it on and go to my original idea of an e36.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, qube said:

I can get a Vaico one for about $450 shipped?

Thanks for the offer mate , have ordered one from rockauto for pretty much that price with shipping, due to arrive next week.

^ thats what i was going off. I must have left a gasket in the cart. 

I need to order some bits too. They r too good..

Just now, qube said:

^ thats what i was going off. I must have left a gasket in the cart. 

I need to order some bits too. They r too good..

Definitely seem to be the cheapest and fastest way to get parts whilst still having the lifetime guarantee plus you get a cool fridge magnet with your order

Is Rockauto better than FCP do you guys think?

25 minutes ago, M3AN said:

In my experience yes, I also think the website makes it a lot easier to find what you want for the right price.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Cheaper. Basically take the usd price but replace it with nzd. 

• Like 2

Rockauto is the sh*t for having cheaper options too. FCP does most mainstream options but if you want some obscure brand at 1/4 the price and dont care about longevity, thats where rockauto comes into its own. Ive bought heaps from them for various cars and never had an issue (although its a bit weird the KYBs for my Corolla were made in USA not Japan, didn't know that was a thing, but hey)

• Like 3

Yeah used to get my plugs and brakes for my old 135i from rockauto, great prices. much cheaper shipping too at the time

• Like 1

4 hours ago, duluth said:

go to my original idea of an e36.

That's what I did. Back to the future for me.

• Like 1

Put my 130i manual up for sale if anyone is interested. See the For Sale section, comments welcome.

• Sad 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:17 PM, M3AN said:

There is a black 118i around here somewhere with those on em, its certainly... different.

Anyone know where i can get a vanos solenoid bolt? Believe it's an m6x12 , lost mine to the abyss. Have looked on all the hardware store websites but can't seem to find it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duluth said:

Anyone know where i can get a vanos solenoid bolt? Believe it's an m6x12 , lost mine to the abyss. Have looked on all the hardware store websites but can't seem to find it. 

North Shore - The Bolt Shop

East/South - Steelmasters

Make sure you get HT ones, if your other ones aren't HT, replace them all.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

North Shore - The Bolt Shop

East/South - Steelmasters

Make sure you get HT ones, if your other ones aren't HT, replace them all.

Cheers for that , ended up getting it by sweeping back and forth with a magnet on a stick 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2021 at 4:17 PM, qube said:

Cheaper. Basically take the usd price but replace it with nzd. 

Just discovered RockAuto now!

Loads of brands of not heard of but some I have - guess they play at the lower end of the market but prices are great!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sammo said:

Just discovered RockAuto now!

Loads of brands of not heard of but some I have - guess they play at the lower end of the market but prices are great!

Shipping is awesome too. 
I made a rock auto and pelican parts order last week and the rock auto turned up in 5 business days, pelican was 6 and also more expensive for shipping.not bad enough to not use pelican. They do have the greatest range of parts I’ve found. 

A heads up for rock auto. 

for shipping in your cart, items will have A, B, or C next to it referring to what location they’re dispatched from. If buying multiple items try and get them from the one location as this reduces shipping costs. 

Also, their stock list for individual cars could be better. 

for example I have a 6 cylinder S Class Mercedes. They didn’t list any engine mounts for it. But the E Class have the same mounts and it had a listing. The same with the steering dampener. I had to select the V8 S Class to get the same dampener. or just copy and past the part number in their search bar and it should bring the part and respective vehicle up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, coop said:

for shipping in your cart, items will have A, B, or C next to it referring to what location they’re dispatched from. If buying multiple items try and get them from the one location as this reduces shipping costs. 

Agreed. Sometimes u might wana grab the same part but diff brand that costs a few dollars more because it will come from the same warehouse as the rest of your order. 

Its a bit of mucking around because the shipping warehouses change depending on the whats in your cart. 

Yeah, will give it a nudge, must admit I’m a complete FCP fanboy but looks like a good value alternative.