Jacko

The 130i Thread

33 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Yeah, will give it a nudge, must admit I’m a complete FCP fanboy but looks like a good value alternative.

Let me know if u want to order anything to combine shipping. Gonna place an order sometime next week for Rockauto. 

Rubber floor mats that I can get quickly that fit well.  Can anyone recommend any?  I usually hate them but I need them to protect the carpet as we move into wetter weather.  I also have sheep on the property who just love to sleep on the bloody driveway right by the gate.  When I go to leave they stand up, take a dump and wander away.  I hate sheep.  There are about 200 of them taking turns doing this it seems.

Rubbertree probably has something.  Although the ones I got for my Maser are ever so slightly too big which is annoying as they bunch up.

https://www.rubbertree.co.nz/product/75324/all-weather-rubber-car-mats-to-suit-bmw-1-series-e87-hatch-5-door-2004-2011

I've dealt with that guy before, that's who I got my roof strip from(same car I'm pretty sure). Was a good price. 

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

$14k auto with 120k+ and absolutely nothing going for it... "looking for a quick sale"...

Yeah, right.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3038361663

It's like mine. But with more KMs. A year older. No wheels. And in worse condition. For double the price...

Good buy.

• Like 2

Just curious how many 130i people with automatic gearbox's use the 'sport mode' thing?

Just now, Brianr70 said:

Just curious how many 130i people with automatic gearbox's use the 'sport mode' thing?

Frequently. Whenever I want or need more aggressive shifting, rev hold to redline or manual mode that doesn't automatically revert to Drive. The standard mode on the box does none of those things.

My trans has been flashed though and is very aggressive in Sport mode, your experience may be different.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Brianr70 said:

Every time I go over the hill to Wellington.  Is great.  Changes fast.  I don't let it do it's own thing though.  I just the paddles.

• Like 1

Hardwired my Valentine 1 today, and off for a county run with the ChCh BMW Club on Sunday... 

Has anyone fitted M3 gearbox mounts? Is it worth it? I hear swapping out the gearbox fluid for Redline is a good thing to improve shift feel? 

Hmm those coms faults.

That means ISTA was not able to talk to those modules.  So you don't know if they have their own issues.

You would be best to ask @promo if any of these are majors.

Have the cats been removed?

@qube - interesting array of messages...

Does the car actually have comfort access (cool if it does)? Does it have PDC? If it has PDC then that might the the "CA control unit" they're referring to... not sure. If it is then I suspect if you replace that (~$350 used) then the rest of the problems may magically disappear... the problem is you won't know until you try.

https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=754683

Very common problem. Because the errors you're getting are all electronic and cover an array of unrelated systems then my suspicion would be a single faulty module spazzing out the others. 

• Like 1

It does have ca. It used to work then stopped. Cause was water leak into  the module. 

cats not removed afaik. Exhaust did seem a bit on the loud side though. 

for what its worth car drove awesome. No engine issue could be felt. 

You can't rely on any of the codes you're getting if you have a known faulty unit in the chain. 

Edit: you may be able to code out CA and disconnect the unit, I'm not sure.

Edited by M3AN

It seems like you know most of the the faulty parts, get a bmw dealer quote on them would give you a worst case scenario. 

Personally unless the car was super cheap I would find another as you've got a couple of rabbit holes there, without getting into stuff like waterpump, coils and other maintenance bits that likely needs doing considering the current state of the car. 

• Like 1

@qube - Hiya,

second hand CA module easy to program and code.

As for the DME. some of the codes possibly are history and not current. i.e 002F4A DME: Interface EWS(immobilzer-DME) this code being current the car wouldn't start. start off by erasing all codes go for a drive then re scan and see what codes appear. 

Pramod

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, qube said:

@promo thanks for the reply. 
im not too concerned with the CA module as such. As you said its probably not a big job to get that sorted if i can source the control box cheaply. 
i am also thinking that the other dme codes might be historic (the photos are printouts from a previous check up and not right now). 
unfortunately the car is quite far away from me for me to go back and clear it (if its even still there). 

i am more concerned about the CEL errors and from my research i am potentially looking at:

1x oil pressure sensor

2x vanos solenoids

4x o2 sensors

which is about $1000 in parts

then it still needs new vcg and other maintenance items.

definitely starting to look like a fairly expensive list of repairs.

(If it wasnt clear its not my car, just considering buying it)

on your scan tool bring up live data and pin point which values are out and replace those parts. 

Edited by promo