Jacko

The 130i Thread

3 hours ago, duluth said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3064396659?bof=7D5mOTV1

What are peoples thoughts on this ... a manual for 7k. Must have some glaring issues as i swear its been relisted about 3 times in the past month or 2.

Think it was listed at 9k initially. Looks like it's price has been dropped to try and sell. 

Nothing nefarious there but given the kms and age it's got a few potentials for a big repair bill:

Clutch, PCV, Vanos Solenoids, Coils, suspension and bushings, engine/gearbox mounts, Various Gaskets for oil leaks etc. 

3 hours ago, duluth said:

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 11:54 PM, M3AN said:

I think we must be talking at crossed purposes, I have no idea what you're referring to.

I was meaning that being NZ new isn't going to make a lot of difference at the end of the day, that's all.

If anything, knowing how badly most kiwis look after their cars, NZ new is a liability. The only difference is you MAY get the paperwork for 200,00km of basic oil changes (if the seller didn't "lose it in a move"). 

It also doesn't help we tend to get real poverty spec options here, as shown by this 130i. 

• Like 1

It all comes down to the previous owner's record keeping and upkeep of services.

Ive seen great NZ new examples with perfect service history and Ive seen rubbish NZ new examples with neglected service and no history.

Totally a case by case situation and NZ new doesnt mean a lot on its own.

Kelvin is absolutely right about NZ new cars skimping out on options though. A lot of NZ new E9X E8X etc cars came without xenons and iDrive (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) amongst other options lacking. Probably because such options cost astronomical prices on top of the basic price.

By contrast, Ive had some great Jap import cars with no history (at least in english) but you could tell it was well looked after even past 100,000 kms.

Edited by qube

Managed to pick up an OEM aero spoiler from the wreckers for $190 shipped ... Already painted black as well. Makes the car look so much better 

IMG20210507121517.jpg

• Like 3

Now dump the fishing rod aerial for a stubby one. 😉

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Now dump the fishing rod aerial for a stubby one. 😉

Hahah , with the spoiler on I'm almost leaning towards keeping the rod 

• Like 1

@duluth - did you install the spoiler yourself? If so, method?

6 minutes ago, M3AN said:

@duluth - did you install the spoiler yourself? If so, method?

Yep, just bought 3M outdoor mounting tape. Put strips around the edge of the whole spoiler with two strips in the middle just for peace of mind. Had my sister help me line it up so it sat in line with the part where the roof and back end meet. Oh and I wiped down each surface thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and put pressure on the contact points for around 30 seconds. 

You can do it yourself but makes things a lot easier with two people, less chance of putting it on wonky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Looking for one of these spoilers if anyone finds one. Even better if its LM blue.

not to mention the manual six speed with Paddle Shift!

And "AUTOMATC HIGH BEAM!" and the rest of the crap it doesn't have... 😕 

• Like 1

what is a IMMOBLASER 🤣🤣

I'm no hard parker, but the stance of that thing looks all horrible and wrong. 

• Haha 2

The more I drive it the more I love it...Have a 2020 Mustang as well...and a 1965 Gt Cortina for retro feels...

20201022_143105.jpg

20201016_145906.jpg

Edited by outlawtorn
  • Like 2

Why does that gear stick look so chode like?

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Why does that gear stick look so chode like?

Its the angle...Genuine BMW short throw lever with a weighted gunmetal Storm 'knob' It really is a 'pleasure' to hold.

http://www.storm-motorwerks.com/interior/bmw/shift_knobs_v1/

Weighing in at just over 500g, the stainless steel shift knob really does feel substantial. The "notchy" nature of the BMW gearboxes is significantly smoothed out with this weight through providing a greater pivot force, giving you an effortless and precise gear change every time. Prototyping revealed that with the shift knob too light - the notchiness would still be there, too heavy and gearchange would become laboured and sloppy. With the weight optimised, we have met both criteria - smooth and swift.

Edited by outlawtorn
  • Like 1

Looks nice.  Just seems really short.  As you said it might just be the angle.
Have a weighted momo knob in the S13.  Works well.

Sold my 130i last year and dearly miss it. My partner has given me the OK to pick up another one as long as it's an auto. 

Been keeping an eye out on trademe & Facebook and came across this wreckers ad. A few of you seem to be in the market for a spoiler.... 

Screenshot_20210516_193725_com.facebook.katana.jpg

Screenshot_20210516_193731_com.facebook.katana.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2021 at 11:59 PM, NZ_InFerno said:

Think it was listed at 9k initially. Looks like it's price has been dropped to try and sell. 

Nothing nefarious there but given the kms and age it's got a few potentials for a big repair bill:

Clutch, PCV, Vanos Solenoids, Coils, suspension and bushings, engine/gearbox mounts, Various Gaskets for oil leaks etc. 

To follow up on this, the same people have listed another silver manual 130i with lower kms on trademe. They should be in the thread with that much 130i love 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/search?member_listing=1952262

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Haha 1

M

21 hours ago, qube said:

So after picking up the car, Ive managed to get most of the codes on the original list sorted (big thanks to @HELLBM for the CA module)

The 29F4 and 29F5 Catalytic converter errors can be cleared but after a while of driving the car will throw a yellow CEL and scanning it will show these two codes.

I can clear it so get rid of the CEL light and it wont come back on for a while until next time.

Now I do have a suspicion that the cats might have gone bad because I think there is a bit of a smell when driving the car. If so, then that would mean I would have to replace it but what concerns me is why they have gone bad in the first place.

I cant find much on google searching for 30C3.

For the cat errors there are plenty of suggestions such as o2 sensors, bad cats, carbon build up, disa valves, vanos, ccv etc

I have checked the spark plugs they are fine (I do have a new set handy if I wanted to change them), Ive got a new air intake filter waiting to go in, and have replaced the VCG also for good measure.

edit: Car seems to run perfectly fine according to my Butt-o-meter whether the CEL is on or not. 

Im guessing I will need to look at data readings to see if any figures our out. Any help as to which figures to look at and under what scenarios would be greatly appreciated!

The Cats and post cat sensors all all about emissions compliance and serve no function beyond that so no surprise its running okay. The pre-cat sensors do all the real work. So I've seen two scenarios here, bad cats (rare)...bad sensors (more common)...i've had multiple O2 sensors fail close together (often due to vibration). If you're otherwise happy with your data , fuel trims etc...then consider just programming/flashing out these fault code as there is nothing to gain by chasing this problem down (unless you want to be sure you're not contributing to NOx pollution!) 

• Like 2

Yeah mine has the same, pops up more when I have to revert to 95/96 octane gas rather than its usual 98. The solution is equal length headers and a tune ;)

• Like 1