Jacko

The 130i Thread

1 hour ago, HalfJobHarry said:

M

The Cats and post cat sensors all all about emissions compliance and serve no function beyond that so no surprise its running okay. The pre-cat sensors do all the real work. So I've seen two scenarios here, bad cats (rare)...bad sensors (more common)...i've had multiple O2 sensors fail close together (often due to vibration). If you're otherwise happy with your data , fuel trims etc...then consider just programming/flashing out these fault code as there is nothing to gain by chasing this problem down (unless you want to be sure you're not contributing to NOx pollution!) 

Thanks for the info. 

At this stage I am more interested in the other code 30C3. not much info I can find about it.

21 minutes ago, qube said:

Thanks for the info. 

At this stage I am more interested in the other code 30C3. not much info I can find about it.

I'd bet on a bad oil pressure sensor. Replace. 

Replaced it with new. Also tried another known good used one just incase the new one was dud but didnt fix

4 hours ago, qube said:

Replaced it with new. Also tried another known good used one just incase the new one was dud but didnt fix

Ah....okay that's a bit more of a worry then. 

I've used this guys resources before with great success so at least for the stuff I used he knows what he's talking about, takes a look at some of these codes in depth here. 

https://bimmerprofs.com/oil-pressure-n-series-engines/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qube said:

Could it be this? Oil pressure control actuator (pn 11417584991)

According to Realoem it might be a blank plug on the N52 but it might actually have it due to design changes?

https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/oil-pressure-on-n52.955944/page-6

Yes it could be all of those things. Two avenues for diagnostics here (disclaimer...I trained as a youth as an auto diagnostician ...but never worked professionally, but following logical fault trees etc is my strength!). 

A: The sensor is reading wrong and causing codes. Verify the output with something like INPA and ensure the pressure reading is feasible. As the article I linked mentioned..sometimes the pressure reading from the software is a factor off. This would be an Instrumentation fault. 

B: You have an actual oil pressure problem. Are you hearing any noises, rattles, is the warning tripping only at certain times? low revs, cold starts etc etc? There are a number of issues from the actuator (yes you have to be very specific to check against your VIN to be sure and even then it's not 100% ... my 120i being Japanese spec has a unusual ECU and engine variant that is not reflected in RealOEM. 

Also from the thread you posted, beware of any kind of metallic 'bag of spanners' 'chain saw' type rattling immediately on startup that quickly quiets down...this is the timing chain. Although I am not aware of the N52 specifically having any timing chain issues (like bad tensioners from the factory etc)...but there is a fair amount of talk about chain guides wearing out / getting chewed up out there. 

If there was an actual oil pressure problem it would have turned into a mechanical problem by now. Diagnosing the problem is obviously still important but it shouldn't prevent you driving the car which is a good thing.

Have you checked the oil pressure with an actual mechanical guage? That would be my first step.

59 minutes ago, Blackie said:

Have you checked the oil pressure with an actual mechanical guage? That would be my first step.

I have not because 1. I dont have the equipment but also because 2. its not easy to find info on what the "right" pressure should be.

Might need to get some assistance with this.

N52s have a variable displacement pump, so oil pressure changes depending on what its doing 😕 

13 minutes ago, Jacko said:

N52s have a variable displacement pump, so oil pressure changes depending on what its doing 😕 

Yep, and from my research, if I remove the oil pressure sensor to connect the gauge in it's place, then the readings wont be accurate so Ive seen someone say they built a Y adapter to plug both the sensor and the gauge in at the same time. 

You can still check for low pressure and should as a first step. Pumps can fail easily.

1 hour ago, qube said:

Yep, and from my research, if I remove the oil pressure sensor to connect the gauge in it's place, then the readings wont be accurate so Ive seen someone say they built a Y adapter to plug both the sensor and the gauge in at the same time. 

I would look at the sensor outputs *directly* in INPA or other tool. This will be informative to determine if the sensor is A) reading incorrectly , implausable readings like 0 psi or 1000 psi etc etc   b) not reading at all, no value , c) static value . 30 psi when the engine is off for example . 

My pressure values are examples.

It would be very useful to understand the behavior.

As has been mentioned, it's unlikely you have a seriously low oil pressure situation at all times or you'd likely have had a catastrophic failure by now. I'm wondering if the sensor is somehow biased and consistently returning a wrong reading. The above checks would tell you that. 

• Like 2

130i going fast 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@M3AN Looks good.. i did just make an account for that forum but not sure how to send messages/post. Maybe not enabled. Not sure what happened to my old one but wouldn’t let me log in nor send me a reset Pw email

Wonder how much shipping would be.. ahh probably too much hassle trying to deal with overseas private purchase. Haven’t done it before so not too sure about security etc

On 5/23/2021 at 4:50 PM, Brianr70 said:

130i going fast 

this is a good review video

• Like 1

This one is interesting, still too expensive but probably the highest spec'd one I've ever seen:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3109945580

Sunroof, F/R PDC, BMW Performance Exhaust (educated guess, it's not stock and looks like a BMW back box), Comfort Access, Adjustable Lumbar, Adaptive Xenons, HiFi System (on top of Professional Nav, so extra amp and speakers), CD Changer... it's really only missing Cruise Control I think (which can be retrofitted, I've done it). And a good looking (and proper fitting) spoiler to boot.

That would have cost a pretty penny off the lot!

I wish there was an engine bay pic, based on the wing and trunk stickers it may have some hidden goodies too: https://www.studie.co.jp/

Maybe I should take a look on the weekend?

• Like 2

Spied that this morning, and it did pique my curiosity. Though a 6spd is the same price (with pdc!) currently... https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3096399403

I have some questions for the 130i thread tomorrow re: the pair of silver 2006 6spds with the same owner...

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

This one is interesting, still too expensive but probably the highest spec'd one I've ever seen:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3109945580

Sunroof, F/R PDC, BMW Performance Exhaust (educated guess, it's not stock and looks like a BMW back box), Comfort Access, Adjustable Lumbar, Adaptive Xenons, HiFi System (on top of Professional Nav, so extra amp and speakers), CD Changer... it's really only missing Cruise Control I think (which can be retrofitted, I've done it). And a good looking (and proper fitting) spoiler to boot.

That would have cost a pretty penny off the lot!

I wish there was an engine bay pic, based on the wing and trunk stickers it may have some hidden goodies too: https://www.studie.co.jp/

Maybe I should take a look on the weekend?

I would be seriously considering buying this if it was manual. Nice car 

39 minutes ago, leichtbau said:

Spied that this morning, and it did pique my curiosity. Though a 6spd is the same price (with pdc!) currently... https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3096399403

I have some questions for the 130i thread tomorrow re: the pair of silver 2006 6spds with the same owner...

I used to have 3 of them, they're probably big fans too from the listings. 

That rear spoiler is an abomination. And 19's and a 130 are not a happy marriage made.

• Like 1