Jacko

The 130i Thread

3 minutes ago, balancerider said:

Needs @promo’s expertise (assuming it hasn’t had it already)

Was with him a couple times with multiple frms, from what I learned later after it was sold. 

1 hour ago, IainR said:

It sounds like this car has some history...? 👀

Yeah I was first owner in NZ, there's a thread on here about it 

I wonder what is actually wrong with it then, since it must not be the frm?

Edited by KwS

I listed the E81 as I thought I'd take advantage of the free list weekend, few nice cars got posted that I'm keen on (330ci). The FRM issue is something I've been meaning to sort out, I think it needs an FRM3 module instead of the FRM2 it has in it. Unless @NZ_InFerno tried an FRM3 to no avail? Funnily enough I have actually come to not mind the window issue as i usually just crack them open a bit anyway. 

Edited by duluth

3 hours ago, duluth said:

I listed the E81 as I thought I'd take advantage of the free list weekend, few nice cars got posted that I'm keen on (330ci). The FRM issue is something I've been meaning to sort out, I think it needs an FRM3 module instead of the FRM2 it has in it. Unless @NZ_InFerno tried an FRM3 to no avail? Funnily enough I have actually come to not mind the window issue as i usually just crack them open a bit anyway. 

What's written on the top-left of the FRM's label, to the right of the BMW logo?

There are multiple variants of FRM2, FRM3, etc, with slight differences in compatibility - for example, an E87 FRM2 in an E81/E82 won't work correctly (unable to learn window limits).

26 minutes ago, exextatic said:

What's written on the top-left of the FRM's label, to the right of the BMW logo?

There are multiple variants of FRM2, FRM3, etc, with slight differences in compatibility - for example, an E87 FRM2 in an E81/E82 won't work correctly (unable to learn window limits).

I'll have a look. What you said about E87 compatibility is most likely the issue. Had a look on eBay for a new module but nothing for a good price.

Go out to the car this morning and someone's decided to rip my spoiler off for themselves. Joy.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Seriously...  That is f**king annoying.  Sorry to hear that.

28 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Cheers , thankfully I didn't pay much for it... thought people only stole badges 😕

43 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Might be worth trying to get a new one from Aliexpress? It's where I got mine, wasn't too expensive from memory. 

• Like 1

thats so messed up.. and its crazy because its such a model specific part. will probably end up on a 116i with 20" rimz

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, qube said:

thats so messed up.. and its crazy because its such a model specific part. will probably end up on a 116i with 20" rimz

There's a 116 near my work with huge wheels, 1M bumper, big spoiler - the lot. But all very banged up. Not pretty.

A few with more rational pricing are popping up including this double facelift auto with moderate miles for 8k (edit: ONO, so you could probably drive it away for 7.5).

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3146714682

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

How does everyone go about changing their diff oil ? What oil should be used ?

• Like 1

Have been quoted $417 for front pads and disks, and rear pads. Sound like a good price? Seems like a damn good deal to me. 

^ depends on the brand of the disk and pads.

I just priced up 4 Brembo ceramic pads and 4 Brembo UV coated rotors and it comes to about $500 landed in NZ

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, qube said:

^ depends on the brand of the disk and pads.

I just priced up 4 Brembo ceramic pads and 4 Brembo UV coated rotors and it comes to about $500 landed in NZ

My price is labour included, hence why it seemed a deal to me. Just basic pads and brakes, no name stuff really. 

47 minutes ago, HJ130i said:

My price is labour included, hence why it seemed a deal to me. Just basic pads and brakes, no name stuff really. 

Really depends where they are getting the rotors from.  If they are not a recognizable brand then it could be a terrible deal.  The "White Box" rotors ADL once supplied cost less than $10 to bring into the country.

I was swapping them out after every race weekend on my E30.  Absolute junk.  But I would rather chew through crap rotors than the expensive project mu and padgid brake pads I had.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, duluth said:

For the stock diff synthetic 75w90 GL-5.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HJ130i said:

Have been quoted $417 for front pads and disks, and rear pads. Sound like a good price? Seems like a damn good deal to me. 

I've still got my used ones put aside for you (no obligation) if you want them.

• Like 1

Just now, M3AN said:

I've still got my used ones put aside for you (no obligation) if you want them.

What are the odds - I just messaged you RE them. Talk about timing! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, duluth said:

I need to do this soon too.

I'm guessing it will be the standard 75w90 Castrol?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, duluth said:

Im running 75W140 (Royal Purple) as per KB recommendations, all works well and purple. Had run 75w90 for 250,000km previously before bearing damage. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HJ130i said:

Don't screw around with cheap rotors and pads, trust me, its not worth it. Biggest ball ache Ive ever had was constantly warped "brembo" rotors. Its worth paying for decent stuff. If its a stock car getting driven as per stock - ATE rotors and pads. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1