Jacko

The 130i Thread

20 hours ago, balancerider said:

@Jacko I believe we got EU spec cars here, which require headlight washers with Xenons. Alarm lowers your insurance premium in the UK (?mandatory) and I assume our spec is based on theirs. The other thing that the Japan market cars don't have is the VIN sticker on the driver's sill.

Oceania spec 130s seem to be different again, xenons for instance are pretty rare in UK market and so is the alarm (I havent seen them in any other markets cars). They also got the E81s and LEs in the UK, but that may have just been down to them being so slow to move off of BMWs yards in NZ they didnt bother. 

Anyone found the correct procedure for doing a compression test? Ive hunted newtis with no joy, from what I understand need to drive valvetronic to correct position  to get the intake valves in right spot

25 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Anyone found the correct procedure for doing a compression test? Ive hunted newtis with no joy, from what I understand need to drive valvetronic to correct position  to get the intake valves in right spot

That’s to do a cylinder leak test

1 minute ago, *Glenn* said:

That’s to do a cylinder leak test

Will it not be the same? 

16 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Will it not be the same? 

No, cylinder leak test and compression test are completely different procedures.

Yeah I realise that, but with the intake valves open both arent going to work so flash :)

Edit - Plugged ISTA in and followed instructions, all works. Unplug valvetronic, wind to 176 degrees. ISTA definitely written for compression rather than leakdown test. I have a marginally sad cylinder 6 :( Its about 15psi off the others. 

Edited by Jacko

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

I like the look of this one (auto), especially with the brown leather. F+R PDC and sunroof, reasonable price to negotiate around and a fair excuse to take a trip up north.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3213307965

Leather looks great, nice choice!

Yay for anything but black :D 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Yay for anything but black :D 

Can we add cream to that.

ECS is shipping me a coil pack and a new valvetronic motor gasket for free.  With an RMA to ship the old parts back to them.  I really didn't expect that as the shipping will be more than the replacements.  One way.

Great service.

Has anyone had trouble with Valvetronic motor gaskets.  Mine has a very slow leak.  Like 20ml over 2 months.  It all gets captured  in one of the wells below the valvetronic motor which is nice.  Easy to clean up.  But I want no leaks!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Driftit said:

ECS is shipping me a coil pack and a new valvetronic motor gasket for free.  With an RMA to ship the old parts back to them.  I really didn't expect that as the shipping will be more than the replacements.  One way.

Great service.

Has anyone had trouble with Valvetronic motor gaskets.  Mine has a very slow leak.  Like 20ml over 2 months.  It all gets captured  in one of the wells below the valvetronic motor which is nice.  Easy to clean up.  But I want no leaks!

Nice from ECS, great service indeed! 

Replaced my valvetronic motor, or rather @KwS did and new gasket a year? ago but haven't checked on the gasket itself. Only trouble was that I'd ordered the wrong gasket so ended up with two of them. I probably need to have a look and check on it now that it's run in. 

Yeah shine a torch down underneath the motor.  If you have the LCI cover there is a well under it that slowly fills up.  Then it spills over into the next one.  Then eventually out and onto the exhaust I guess.

2 hours ago, Driftit said:

Yeah shine a torch down underneath the motor.  If you have the LCI cover there is a well under it that slowly fills up.  Then it spills over into the next one.  Then eventually out and onto the exhaust I guess.

I've got a prelci but yeah there's a nice hollow under the vtronic motor for oil to sit in. 

130 manifold for those that care, with a finger for scale.

There's definitely ponies hiding in here, compared the intake which is a work of engineering art, the exhaust manifold is 100% potato :D 

234811386_10157814624012693_8373758410100234952_n (1).jpg

230509761_10157814623727693_2138047140881924926_n.jpg

234475863_10157814623817693_8724513177296890759_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Does anybody have a set of viable rear pads for stock calipers they no longer have a use for?

How urgently do you need them? I'll have some when I do my brakes but that will likely be a month or so away. 

You could get a set off rockauto for like $30 new. 

1 minute ago, NZ_InFerno said:

How urgently do you need them? I'll have some when I do my brakes but that will likely be a month or so away. 

You could get a set off rockauto for like $30 new. 

Not urgent (I discovered today) but soonish, didn't know new was so inexpensive. Give me a ping when you've done yours and if I haven't got replacements by then we can discuss. Cheers. 👍 

6 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Not urgent (I discovered today) but soonish, didn't know new was so inexpensive. Give me a ping when you've done yours and if I haven't got replacements by then we can discuss. Cheers. 👍 

Can do. When I was looking for my replacements I discovered there are some dirt cheap pads on rockauto(probably terrible quality) if you need a temporary fix. 

IMG_20210815_144931.thumb.jpg.e71b64dc3ae03e8d667346a77f7fe54d.jpg

Edited by NZ_InFerno
  • Like 1

I'd probably skip the cheapest of the cheapest when it comes to brakes.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 1:17 PM, Jacko said:

130 manifold for those that care, with a finger for scale.

There's definitely ponies hiding in here, compared the intake which is a work of engineering art, the exhaust manifold is 100% potato :D

There are some hiding, but it's the old ponies % v money argument. Check out what they've done in Oz.

15 hours ago, Blackie said:

There are some hiding, but it's the old ponies % v money argument. Check out what they've done in Oz.

If had easy/cheap access to dyno Id do before and after with mine. I can 100% see how brintech got 17rwkw out of their headers..

• Like 1

Anyone replaced their starter motor? Looking for a good guide on it. Car wouldn't start today and pretty sure it's the starter. Wouldn't turn over at all and completely dead even though there's power 😑

Will give it a scan tomorrow to confirm. 

15 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Anyone replaced their starter motor? Looking for a good guide on it. Car wouldn't start today and pretty sure it's the starter. Wouldn't turn over at all and completely dead even though there's power 😑

Will give it a scan tomorrow to confirm. 

Pull off intake, replace starter, replace intake. Its a ball ache just due to the intake removal/install. 

Edited by Jacko