Jacko

The 130i Thread

29 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Yeah I thought those 130i total numbers were very low. There's 600 odd in the nzta database, would have thought the world wide total would be much higher. Do you know where else the 130i was available worldwide? Obviously there's the UK, Europe and Japan. 

UK didnt get that many (only have ~1000 still registered). 14000 seems like the right number, its just in NZ our fleet gets skewed by Japans ( I assume Japan would have been a pretty big market for expensive euro hatch backs in mid 2000s) 

• Like 1

Has anyone else noticed that around 2010 the 130i and 135i changed to hideous oversized door mirrors? 

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

Has anyone else noticed that around 2010 the 130i and 135i changed to hideous oversized door mirrors? 

Yep, they call them "dumbo" mirrors. Also CCC -> CIC, (proper) Bluetooth as standard and the intro of the DCT box.

• Like 2

I wonder if the older mirrors could be retrofitted? I'm not bothered about other features as I won't use them but those cricket bats are something of a show stopper. 🤔 

7 minutes ago, Blackie said:

I wonder if the older mirrors could be retrofitted? I'm not bothered about other features as I won't use them but those cricket bats are something of a show stopper. 🤔 

It appears as if the change was 09/2009 and the newer units are not a direct swap:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id=UD52-EUR-10-2010-E87N-BMW-130i&mg=51&sg=07&diagId=51_7667&q=51167282089

But that could just be a coding issue. Older mirrors are a dime-a-dozen so it probably wouldn't be an expensive exercise to try out. You can probably also get aftermarket replacement mirror caps for the new ones, as I have for the old ones. 

• Like 1

What tyre setups have you guys tried on the 130i? 

My 130i is in need of a set of rears and i know pretty much nothing about tyres! 

Current setup is Potenza RE003s all round. 215/45R18 on the front & 225/40R18 at the rear. Fronts seem to have loads of life so I'm currently looking at just replacing the rears. 

My assumption is that I should stick with the RE003s to match the fronts. Is this correct? 

18 minutes ago, IainR said:

What tyre setups have you guys tried on the 130i? 

My 130i is in need of a set of rears and i know pretty much nothing about tyres! 

Current setup is Potenza RE003s all round. 215/45R18 on the front & 225/40R18 at the rear. Fronts seem to have loads of life so I'm currently looking at just replacing the rears. 

My assumption is that I should stick with the RE003s to match the fronts. Is this correct? 

I'm also using RE003's and for the first time. I'm quite impressed with them actually.

F: 225/40/18,  R: 255/35/18

• Like 1

Agreed bang for buck RE003s are pretty solid, there are definitely better tyres out there.. but not for the price point. Makes it hurt less when driving like a tool.

Square setups definitely drive the best, but I doubt you'll notice much between 215/225. Id bang more of the same on. 

Nice! Cheers guys. 

I'd definitely like to have fatter tyres on the rear but that's purely for looks! 

I'll start looking at some prices for those 225s 

Edited by IainR

I use this site for reference on tyres and rim sizes

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.co.uk/tyre-equivalence-advice.html

I personally run RE003's as well = on staggered rims with a little more power than a standard 130i

Held up well on their first track day 😁

• Thanks 1

225/40/18 and 255/35/18

Did have Roadstones now with Laufenn which are some Korean tyres. Cheap, quiet, and held up well at the track and at 200+ at the sprints.

They have pretty good reviews. Going to replace the crap Bridgestone eagle f1s on the 200sx with these Laufenns.

• Like 1

Has anyone actually gone and looked at this one? 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3214279486?bof=PP3R3Ucc

Its been up for awhile, but is very cheap and has some good bits (if in need of TLC)

Wondering how bad it is in person, underneath the dealer slime.

Edited by Jacko

+1 for Laufenn LK03.  As mentioned before they appear to be the old Hankook S1 Evo which are a solid tyre.

• Like 2

Just now, NZ_InFerno said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/3245333146?

Great paint colour, not too big a fan of the interior colour though 

Yeah, saw that one and agree. I think that brown interior (with black plastics) would go great with that colour.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, M3AN said:

Yeah, saw that one and agree. I think that brown interior (with black plastics) would go great with that colour.

100%, bit like @Sammos interior would look mint 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, KwS said:

...and is that a cruise stalk i spot?

Appears to be, yes...

image.png.3d82c7693cc09630ff46078d12446c8e.png

Its missing the only option that matters 😛 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Singapore import with the Cruise Control? 

Carjam says Jap import