Jacko

The 130i Thread

It was 10.x on the trip meter when it was commuting in akl.  Mainly Emma driving though.  Funnily enough the 535i gets the same but much better on the open road, down to about 8.0 average or as low as 7.0.

6 hours ago, Driftit said:

Its interesting the average fuel use is 10.7 to 10.8L/100kms for 130's.

Mines higher at about 11.8L/100kms.  Near no city driving though.  You would think it would be less.  But the rural roads are all 0-100-0 starts and stops.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/130i

Edited by GorGasm

Digging the interior on this, Im going to get me one of those steering wheels... when I have a spare $1600usd floating around :D 

• Like 1

Wow, well that's how you sell a 130 quickly, price it properly. Did anyone here buy it?

Moderate km's and apparently well maintained too.

So, that probably creates a benchmark price of about 7k for an LCI auto which might make a manual ~9k.

Thats how you give away a 130i.... 

7 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Don't know about well maintained, only description is new tyres, but certainly very cheap. 

$110 a corner tyres... "well maintained"... 

Was it a classified? I thought the price/reserve was $6.5?

The brand of tyres are immaterial to the upkeep of maintenance. The Dragon Sports I had on the 328 were about $115 a corner and were perfectly adequate for what they were (if not noisy and hard).

I have to admit to conflating the maintenance description of two different cars though, my bad, I thought this had more listed than shocks + tyres. But hey, that's $600+ you don't have to spend over the next few years assuming you're not expecting a race car.

First thing to look at when buying a used car - does it have shitty chinese tyres... it pretty much invariably comes with shitty half pie maintenance performed by supercheaps finest techs. There will be exceptions to that, but the rule is 99.9% solid. 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Just ordered this setup, fingers crossed it fits E87. Ditch the heavy ass cowl panel without having the engine loom dangling over rocker cover.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-1809115-turner-e9x-cowl-delete-kit/

I've looked at that a couple of times, it's pretty sweet 

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

First thing to look at when buying a used car - does it have shitty chinese tyres... it pretty much invariably comes with shitty half pie maintenance performed by supercheaps finest techs. There will be exceptions to that, but the rule is 99.9% solid. 

I disagree. I'd never buy off-brand tyres myself but that doesn't mean they're inadequate for what most people might need, paying for more tyre than you need is pointless and 99.9% of people will never explore the limits of even very basic tyres. Book, cover, judge and all.

4 hours ago, Jacko said:

Just ordered this setup, fingers crossed it fits E87. Ditch the heavy ass cowl panel without having the engine loom dangling over rocker cover.

Cable ties? And you're complaining about new tyres! 😂

Kidding (a little bit), that does look like a convenient setup if you're you need to get in there frequently but it's hella expensive for what it is, I hope it's not made in China. 😉

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jacko said:

Won't this kit just suck in all the engine heat and any fumes present in the engine bay?

13 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Won't this kit just suck in all the engine heat and any fumes present in the engine bay?

Apparently not, I thought the same (and that water will get in), completely reversible if its all crap though... the stock cowl panel definitely weighs a crap load and gets in the way.

7 hours ago, Jacko said:

I agree with Dave, thats a pretty bad metric for maintenance. I'd rather see a car with fresh tread cheaper tyres than the shockingly common down-to-the-belts anything. Cheaper tyres are perfectly fine for tootling around town for 90% of people.

There are exceptions, like you probably dont want to put the cheapest tyres you can on something with serious performance or handling, but a stock 130i doesnt really meet that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jacko said:

Apparently not, I thought the same (and that water will get in), completely reversible if its all crap though... the stock cowl panel definitely weighs a crap load and gets in the way.

I never noticed the cowl weighing much. 

Edit: wonder what you're paying for those Turner cable ties

Edited by Blackie

14 hours ago, Driftit said:

They suggest to pair the cowl kit with a Burger cabin filter kit. 

13 hours ago, KwS said:

I agree with Dave, thats a pretty bad metric for maintenance. I'd rather see a car with fresh tread cheaper tyres than the shockingly common down-to-the-belts anything. Cheaper tyres are perfectly fine for tootling around town for 90% of people.

There are exceptions, like you probably dont want to put the cheapest tyres you can on something with serious performance or handling, but a stock 130i doesnt really meet that.

If you took a survey of x number of cars, I would put money on the ones running lingpingpowsuperstones also being the ones with dripping with oil leaks and green coolant in the radiator and 91 in the tank. Whereas if the car has PS4Ss or similar on it, signficantly more likely that the previous owner gave a sh*t and had funds to properly maintain it. Its not particularly controversial and is particularly applicable to NZ BMWs, where they are cheap to buy and expensive to maintain.

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Blackie said:

They suggest to pair the cowl kit with a Burger cabin filter kit. 

Includes. https://burgertuning.com/products/bms-cowl-filters?_pos=1&_sid=de230fe37&_ss=r

$230 or whatever for the filters, replacement moulded covers for the electronics and bracket to support the loom seemed pretty reasonable to me. 

Haters gonna Hate 😛 

On 9/24/2021 at 3:04 PM, Jacko said:

Something to consider when doing the cowl delete. The cowl panel serves the purpose of diverting the water that runs off the windscreen to the corners of the engine bay then onto the ground. Without the cowl the water runs onto the back of the engine which can then seize the engine cover bolts. If you run without the engine cover the water goes into the valley of the cylinder head damaging spark plugs, coil, injectors.

• Like 1