Jacko

The 130i Thread

32 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Really shitty plastic connectors where the hoses connect to the head.
One of mine snapped off totally after some work at BMW - Perfect place to rest your hand, shitty crumbly plastic.

2nd hose connector had split and was just about to pop off when we caught it.

This one.  Replaces the sh*t plastic connector that WILL fail at some stage.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-coolant-hose-with-flange-rein-11537545890

And this one.  Which fails where the hose connects to the "quick" connector.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-radiator-hose-upper-17127531579

29 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll definitely pick this stuff up and go about refreshing everything. 

It's not unusual for any car to use a bit of coolant over time, and if it's low it can just take a single corner to trip the sensor. The best thing to do would be to top it up and see if it's still fine after a week or two, if so ignore it and move on.

I'll keep saying it, BMW coolant is just G48, it's a standard so there's no point in paying for (or importing) BMW branded stuff when you can get it from Repco or Supercheap for less. Valvoline and Penrite are both readily available in NZ.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Dave, here I was importing the blue stuff when Supercheap have the G48 just up the road (Penrite green 5L premix for $44)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gofaster said:

Thanks Dave, here I was importing the blue stuff when Supercheap have the G48 just up the road (Penrite green 5L premix for $44)

No problem, happy to help.

Same with oil and tyres, there are some people who consider themselves "enthusiasts" that still think there's a meaningful difference between Castrol "10w60 Titanium", "10w60 TWS", and "10w60 Supercar" when that's just foolish... or that your car will handle terribly and fall off the road if you're not using Michelin PSx tyres when that hasn't been true for over two decades. Unfortunately some of them still frequent BS and pedal their tired BS.

• Like 2

Yep I'm binning the PS4S next time and going with Hankook.

Also used Penrite 10w60 in my M5.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, M3AN said:

No problem, happy to help.

Same with oil and tyres, there are some people who consider themselves "enthusiasts" that still think there's a meaningful difference between Castrol "10w60 Titanium", "10w60 TWS", and "10w60 Supercar" when that's just foolish... or that your car will handle terribly and fall off the road if you're not using Michelin PSx tyres when that hasn't been true for over two decades. Unfortunately some of them still frequent BS and pedal their tired BS.

I agree.  However if you are ordering from FCP just grab the coolant at the same time.  Unless they are now charging a lot more for it now.  It was $5 extra last time I got it.  Saves having to go to supercheap.

• Like 2

I use BMW coolant for The Purity.... and Penrite HPR5 because its the jam. 

• Like 1

What are the Hankooks to keep an eye out for? My front tyres will need replacing in near future, currently rocking RE003 all round. 

Hankook S1 Evo 3.  Haven't heard bad things about RE003s but haven't tried them myself...

Grab some Laufenn LK03 if on a budget.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, GorGasm said:

Hankook S1 Evo 3.  Haven't heard bad things about RE003s but haven't tried them myself...

Grab some Laufenn LK03 if on a budget.

Yup I have the LK03's on my 130i now.  They have been great on the crappy Wairarapa roads.  Especially over the hill to Welly.  Rain or shine.  Very happy with them.

• Like 1

Agreed, it looks smart... but $15k? I'm not so sure.

How much would a manual conversion cost for one of these? Surely not anywhere near $7k? Considering you can pick up a very nice auto for $8k, a manual priced at much more than $12k makes no sense to me.

Gearboxes are pretty rare, so it wouldnt be cheap. Not many cars (130s and Z4s) have the GS6-37

Clean/Manual/Nof**kery/low km/well serviced/nice (rare) wheels/prefacelift purity.... 15k is reasonable for the right buyer (and would be considered dirt cheap internationally)

I didn't realise how few vehicles used that specific gearbox, I wonder if any of the variants (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZF_S6-37_transmission) are a direct fit? Regardless, I don't believe that a manual box is worth a 60%-80% premium over an equivalent slushbox... there's no way importers are paying that type of premium for a manual, they're just having a laugh when they land them here.

Wheels are a matter of taste I suppose, I don't like those at all so wouldn't pay a premium for them. I've always thought the best bet on wheels is a throwaway set of 17's so you can eventually get the wheels (and probably tyres) you want.

We all know that comparing prices internationally is a fallacy, people in the UK are starting to cotton on to Japanese imports and that will eventually start to suppress prices from their currently silly heights over there.

Don't get me wrong, that's a tidy example but I don't even think an LCI is worth that, a PFL is worth less. 10-12k any day IMHO.

But hey, if somebody asked me what I thought a manual e36 328i was worth I'd probably say "10k max if it's mint" and we know that doesn't seem to be the case any more... I think people are paying silly money for cars these days and it defies logic. I don't think my M3 is worth anything near what people are prepared to pay for them... which is why I'm wondering if I should just cash in, I could probably get for it today close to what I paid for it 20 years ago... crazy.

• Like 1

A mate just bought a tidy, manual, AW11 for 18k ;) 

I wonder what Japans fleet of 130s currently is, I suspect we have more of their than they do now! 

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

If anyone is wondering about "aggressive-ish" fitment on the 1 series:

Just put on a set of staggered style 193's from a E9X 3 series on the E83 130i with brand new tyres (Laufenn LK03)

18x8" ET34 with 225/40 front

18x8.5" ET37 with 235/40 rear 

Nice flush fitment and no rubbing on standard msport suspension

16825A29-80E1-4209-A781-8DB32A7AD821.jpeg

8FA2251D-9B98-4DC4-B5DF-F47DE39355E4.jpeg

Edited by qube
  • Like 9

Good to see those wheels looking good :)

• Like 1

Nice. I fit 255/35 an 225/40 on my 269s. Tried 235/40 on the front but they looked weird.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Nice. I fit 255/35 an 225/40 on my 269s. Tried 235/40 on the front but they looked weird.

Yea 255/35 is the “correct” size for the wheels but due to the lower offset as they were off a 3 series it would never work on a 1 series i think. 

also 235 width tyres on the style 269 front is too wide as the rims are only 7.5” so 225 is the right choice  

17 hours ago, qube said:

Yea 255/35 is the “correct” size for the wheels but due to the lower offset as they were off a 3 series it would never work on a 1 series i think. 

also 235 width tyres on the style 269 front is too wide as the rims are only 7.5” so 225 is the right choice  

I like the 255/35s on the back.

Cars gravel driveway with sheep sh*t dirty sorry. 

20211209_180330~2.jpg20211209_180428~2.jpg

• Like 1

AFAIK, did some research into it (I wanted an excuse for Alpina stripes....), there was never an Alpina 1 series...

But this has me questioning that - That lip spoiler looks alpina, and the wheels look E87 offset (rather than E9x)... 

265195735_1248059325714835_1202143954309077978_n.jpg

265702793_1248059119048189_7102683616630074163_n.jpg

265031932_1248049279049173_124010317977713407_n.jpg

• Like 1