Jacko

The 130i Thread

On 12/15/2021 at 10:19 AM, balancerider said:

Spotted @Driftit this morning mid-deluge in Featherston (I think)

Ah it probably looks much worse than in that photo at the moment.  Poor thing is green and brown.  She's a real commuter.

About to order new brakes.  Rotors and pads.  Probably from ECS or FCP.
Might grab the waterpump at the same time.

38 minutes ago, Driftit said:

Ah it probably looks much worse than in that photo at the moment.  Poor thing is green and brown.  She's a real commuter.

About to order new brakes.  Rotors and pads.  Probably from ECS or FCP.
Might grab the waterpump at the same time.

FWIW when I cross-checked, landing rotors here from overseas, https://spareto.com/ was over $100 cheaper than FCP although that might not always be the case, especially if you're buying a bunch of stuff. 

Seems all dependant on the shipping price at the moment.

Been trying to get some suspension in from Aussie for my Rocky.  All of a sudden they wont send shocks via air freight.  

On 12/14/2021 at 10:13 PM, IainR said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3388682659

130i that was up on Turners(?) a while back. 

Fixed price offer of 6.6.... Why did I have to get my EOFY tax bill last week....

5 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Fixed price offer of 6.6.... Why did I have to get my EOFY tax bill last week....

Dang, that is tempting just to take bits off it. 

Or manual swap... 

• Like 1

Hmm, I suppose I could swap the bumper and bonnet for mine, and take the original backbox for resale, then hope to flick it quickly for $6k?

Although, unless that coupe bumper has been properly installed with all the bits (and there's a LOT of them), it will be missing heaps behind it. And it's the non-foglight version (not sure how hard they are to retrofit).

37 minutes ago, IainR said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3395218482

$6k for a decent looking manual! Few bits to sort out but could be a good buy

Wow, that'd be a good buy, even it does need some love. 

2 hours ago, IainR said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/3395218482

$6k for a decent looking manual! Few bits to sort out but could be a good buy

Wow, that is a sharp price, even as you say if there's some work to be done. Indications are that it's been used hard but if you're a home mechanic looking for a manual 130i you probably can't go wrong at that price. Heck, even if you had to spend $3k on it I reckon you're coming out ahead. I don't care for miles these days, on a 10+ year old car it's all about care and maintenance.

Edit: that front bumper extension needs to see the inside of a skip. Novel approach but, no.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

On 11/28/2021 at 2:52 PM, IainR said:

I saw the twin of my car in the Petone Mitre 10 carpark yesterday. Looked great with the 135i alloys on it. Anyone from here? The owner saw me stopped next to it with my car as my gf looked at me like this 🙄

Hi @IainR

Sorry I'm a bit slow on the uptake on this one, that might have been me?  The covid tracer app has made itself useful I was at Mitre 10 about 2:15pm on the 28th.  I think I was parked against the wall near the entrance?  My 130 has what look like style 261's but they aren't BMW rims.  They were on it when I purchased it and don't really have any identifying marks so I'm not sure exactly what brand or model they are TBH. 

• Like 2

Agreed, if you wanted a 130i that would be ticking the boxes. At that price though you are getting very close to early F20 M135i money, which is a tough call.

• Like 1

What are the advantages between that dealer one at $15k, and the private one below at $9.5k other than brakes and display, I imagine the private is also negotiable.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3404885074?bof=TOTdSPG4

2 hours ago, Jacko said:

17 minutes ago, gofaster said:

What are the advantages between that dealer one at $15k, and the private one below at $9.5k other than brakes and display, I imagine the private is also negotiable.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3404885074?bof=TOTdSPG4

The dealer one is indeed nice but I don't think the brakes, display, or mileage make it $5.5k better, that's a whopping 1/3 more expensive, you could retrofit the brakes (or even better, from a M140) for a fraction of that.

The dealer one also appears to have aftermarket PDC which is a bit weird, I'd want to see how that was hooked up before getting too excited about it. As for the display, well they all look dated by now, if I had the older one I'd likely keep the screen down, the newer one can't do that and it's very complex to swap the newer type out for an aftermarket, modern looking one.

If the dealer one was ~$2k more expensive I'd probably point in that direction but only having done 50k mileage you're possibly looking at a whole bunch of stuff that would have otherwise been replaced under (a presumably 5 year) Japanese factory warranty.

Still, lots of money for an auto IMO, although white with sunroof is a winning combo.

Would take the private one over the dealer one and save yourself $5500.  You could even buy another one with your savings.
No sunroof on the private one either.  I hate sunroofs.

Edited by Driftit

I rate sunroofs, If I was going for another 130 sunroof would be one of the things Id look for :D 

The PDC sensors do look weird, they're outties rather than the usual innies, I wondered if it was a late model e87 thing rather than aftermarket?

FWIW, my brakes that I bought off a wreck 135i for 1k, and rebuilt, ended up costing circa 3k on the car (thats all new parts other than the actual brakes to be fair, but I did do a lot of hunting around for best prices)...

Cheapest calipers I could find for a brake upgrade were $900, before pads/rotors etc. 

Given they've replaced the grill, mirror caps, wheels, aerial, rear spoiler and done a BBK the dealer car has likely been maintained more than the average daily. 

2009+ is also a pretty rare 130i here. 

If it was a manual I'd happily buy it. 

55 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I rate sunroofs, If I was going for another 130 sunroof would be one of the things Id look for :D 

Worst things ever when wearing a helmet.  Especially BMW ones as the cartridge is quite large.

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

The PDC sensors do look weird, they're outties rather than the usual innies, I wondered if it was a late model e87 thing rather than aftermarket?

I wondered that also but I think because there's only two front sensors, and no on/off button on the console, they're most likely aftermarket. Which is fine if done properly I suppose.

27 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Cheapest calipers I could find for a brake upgrade were $900, before pads/rotors etc.

I didn't notice the mirror caps, are they aftermarket? Or have they just 'retro-fitted' non-dumbo caps to dumbo mirrors? I did just now notice there's a little sticker/emblem under each mirror, curious to see what that says.

As for brakes, there was a full set of BMWP brakes on Trademe a while back for $450, including pads. They needed a refurb but I got my M3 calipers powder coated for $150 all up some years ago. New pistons (as would be required) are cheap once you find them as @Jacko discovered. I imported my M140 (blue) calipers (x4) from the UK and landed them for less than NZ$500, including nearly new pads (fronts are a direct swap, rears require more faff).

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

I didn't notice the mirror caps, are they aftermarket? Or have they just 'retro-fitted' non-dumbo caps to dumbo mirrors? I did just now notice there's a little sticker/emblem under each mirror, curious to see what that says.

I'd bet on it being some form of Aliexpress motorsport badge, like the other cheap tat on the car.

• Haha 1

Have we seen this one before? NZ new manual with a great spec (especially given it's NZ new). Xenons, alarm (!), headlight washers (!), PDC, Bluetooth (!), cruise control, PS4's, adjustable Konis, poly front bushes. Sounds well cared for.

Starting at $8,500, I wonder what the reserve is?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3415208300

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Have we seen this one before? NZ new manual with a great spec (especially given it's NZ new). Xenons, alarm (!), headlight washers (!), PDC, Bluetooth (!), cruise control, PS4's, adjustable Konis, poly front bushes. Sounds well cared for.

Starting at $8,500, I wonder what the reserve is?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3415208300

I was just looking at that and came to bimmersport to see if anyone had posted it yet lol

• Like 1

Thats a nice one, will be interesting to see what it goes for