Jacko

The 130i Thread

On 3/19/2022 at 3:46 PM, NZ_InFerno said:

Have a BMW Performance gear knob for a 130i in good condition for sale, listed on trademe since its free today 

IMG_20220319_150148.thumb.jpg.093e5f3061434a6bf3b0ef4a6a132e73.jpg

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/car-parts-accessories/interior/gear-knobs/listing/3519277149

I'll throw in an stock instrument cluster binnacle cover, with a fabric covering to give a covered dash look, for free if a bimmersport member wants it. It's a fauxcantara fabric but it's black with grey stitching. Been sitting on my desk for a year or more since I got an alcantara trimmed one, so it's a bit dusty but the fabric is mint. 

IMG_20220319_154309.thumb.jpg.8beae9e7cc6a04525fdb467258c1dbc6.jpg

IMG_20220319_154339.thumb.jpg.a458e0c47643fbc89b03a1ba041b83ef.jpg

$50 for the BMWP knob and free binnacle 

Sold

Edited by NZ_InFerno

Still keen on the binnacle, happy to cover postage and even throw some cash your way if it hangs around any longer.

4 hours ago, M3AN said:

Still keen on the binnacle, happy to cover postage and even throw some cash your way if it hangs around any longer.

I'm not getting notifications for some reason,  but I've got someone buying the knob. 

If it falls through I'll flick you a pm

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Daniel0663 said:

Tasteful mods, seen that car around north shore and it looked quite tidy, sounded great.

Hopefully he gets $14-15k, would provide a good back up to my insurance valuation 🤣

• Like 1

I wonder what carplay integration that is?

Edit: Prob this. Way too expensive to still have the crap factory screen. https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/product/retrofit-carplay-android-auto-bmw-1-series-e8x/

Edited by Driftit

3 hours ago, Driftit said:

I wonder what carplay integration that is?

Edit: Prob this. Way too expensive to still have the crap factory screen. https://integratedautomotive.co.uk/product/retrofit-carplay-android-auto-bmw-1-series-e8x/

Would that be any different to the ones you can get landed for $300nzd using aliexpress?

These carplay plug ins are all the same and seem to work well - unless it comes with a bigger higher resolution touch screen, I would go Ali Express all day.

Box looks identical to the one I installed in the Audi.

It’s just like plugging a steaming box into your TV via HDMI  and switching to that input really.

These carplay plug ins are all the same and seem to work well - unless it comes with a bigger higher resolution touch screen, I would go Ali Express all day.

Box looks identical to the one I installed in the Audi.

It’s just like plugging a steaming box into your TV via HDMI  and switching to that input really.

In case anyone is looking, this is a sharp price.

No affiliation.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2022 at 9:37 AM, M3AN said:

In case anyone is looking, this is a sharp price.

No affiliation.

Have these on mine, no complaints. Would recommend refreshing sway links same time.

G’day,

I am thinking of getting a high kms manual 130i - https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-bmw-1-series-130i-sport-e87-manual/SSE-AD-12464183

Yes I am moving to Perth. It will be my daily. 
Any tips as to what things should I watch out for? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Contrails said:

Yes I am moving to Perth.

Sharks, poisonous snakes, poisonous spiders, ridiculous heat… or did you mean with the 130i..?

Good luck with the move, I hope it works out well for you.

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, Contrails said:

G’day,

I am thinking of getting a high kms manual 130i - https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2006-bmw-1-series-130i-sport-e87-manual/SSE-AD-12464183

Yes I am moving to Perth. It will be my daily. 

200,000km is the break in period, not high ks :) 

Depends what service history is, my stock clutch lasted 230,000km etc. If hasnt had them done, you can expect at 230,000 -

• Sump gasket leak, rocker cover leaks, oil cooler leaks
  • Waterpump (likely has been done by 230,000... mine was still going though)
  • Suspension bushes shagged
  • Guibos torn and centre hanger bearing sad
  • Clutch and DMF
  • Shifter bushes
  • Diff bearings and seals
  • Vanos solenoids dicky/coked up
  • DISA valves rattly, particularly if -
  • CCV failed and dumping oil into intake

Nothing is particularly scary or expensive, and once done will go another 200,000+ km.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Sharks, poisonous snakes, poisonous spiders, ridiculous heat… or did you mean with the 130i..?

Good luck with the move, I hope it works out well for you.

😂😂😂👌. Made my day!

• Thanks 1

Any radiator hose that has a plastic connector.... That is all of them.  Especially the inlet on the front of the head.  An upgrade is available via FCP.

Hey all,

Im thinking about switching from run flats to Michelin Pilot Sports (4 or 5), hoping to fix a bit of understeer, body roll and add more grip on the 130.
Can anyone tell me what its like and if its better going from run flats to non (or run flats to pilot sports) what's it like? big difference or?....

17 minutes ago, hudfsam13 said:

Hey all,

Im thinking about switching from run flats to Michelin Pilot Sports (4 or 5), hoping to fix a bit of understeer, body roll and add more grip on the 130.
Can anyone tell me what its like and if its better going from run flats to non (or run flats to pilot sports) what's it like? big difference or?....

Will definitely ride better and be more grippy. Could get new wheels, with a square set up, to reduce under steer if you're on the stock staggered wheels. Selling the old tyres and wheels could help subsidise that. 

Changing to normal tyres won't fix any body roll issues you're having, thicker sway bars will do that. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Will definitely ride better and be more grippy. Could get new wheels, with a square set up, to reduce under steer if you're on the stock staggered wheels. Selling the old tyres and wheels could help subsidise that. 

Changing to normal tyres won't fix any body roll issues you're having, thicker sway bars will do that. 

Do you think a square setup of non run flat tyres would help understeer, say 225's all round instead of changing both wheels and tyres to a square setup?

Was also thinking sway bars at some point as well 🤔

1 hour ago, hudfsam13 said:

Do you think a square setup of non run flat tyres would help understeer, say 225's all round instead of changing both wheels and tyres to a square setup?

Was also thinking sway bars at some point as well 🤔

Yep it would. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hudfsam13 said:

What size tyres are you currently running? A square 225 setup likely means you're reducing the rear footprint which will help with understeer but only because you can no longer put as much power down which is ultimately counter-productive (slower). I'd think 235's would be the minimum square setup to use although I've never been a believer in a square setup on a rear wheel drive car, tyre size is a pretty blunt instrument to address under (or over) steer. Better tyres, camber pin mod, M3 front arms and, some front toe out are all things I'd try before committing to a square setup.

Edited by M3AN

16 hours ago, hudfsam13 said:

What are your current tyre set-up, how old are they how much tread on them etc?

Also, what are all the bushes, etc like in the suspension? Shocks and springs good? I’d be looking at stuff like that before throwing new wheels and tyres at it, and the things M3AN listed above?