Jacko

The 130i Thread

Current tyre setup is 225 front and 245 rear. (fronts have average/good amount of tread on them, rears are pretty mint as they were put on in September last year and I haven't put that many kms on them since)

Im not to sure about the condition of the suspension overall, I haven't really looked into it over the couple of years I've owned mine (although hasn't been brought up as an issue in wofs or services), but I have done the front lower control arm bushings and noticed a tiny bit of an improvement there in handling

It's always a tough decision to walk away from tyres with good life left in them, unless you have severe comfort issues with your runflats perhaps try some other things whilst you wear your existing tyres down? At least then, by the time you need new tyres, you'll have a better feel for whether you need different sizes.

I'd do the camber pin mod, ideally add M3 lower control arms (TRW JTC1426/JTC1427) and then you'll need an alignment so ask for a tiny amount of front toe out. I suspect you'll notice a considerable reduction in corner entry understeer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brianr70 said:

That was Kevin Birds old car, the engines epic!

• Like 1

$9500 buy now for a manual, bid from $6500...

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3597703336

Needs a good tidy and not sure what's up with those exhaust tips but you're really buying the engine and gearbox combo right?

Edited by M3AN

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Needs a good tidy and not sure what up with those exhaust tips but you're really buying the engine and gearbox combo right?

That's cheap if you can get it for 7 or 8k and refresh everything, you'll have a tidy car for 10k. Larger injectors? and clutch done indicates it's had some maintenance done. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

I think it's a steal for 7 or 8, the buy now price seems reasonable, one could probably walk away with it for 9 or a bit less. But yes, a lot of how much you need to spend to bring it up to spec depends on the mechanical condition.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I think it's a steal for 7 or 8, the buy now price seems reasonable, one could probably walk away with it for 9 or a bit less. But yes, a lot of how much you need to spend to bring it up to spec depends on the mechanical condition.

I do too, but if it's got no service history at 180k I'd be assuming the worst and that it needs 2-3k in engine and suspension parts plus whatever high touch parts/headliner /tyres etc need doing. So if you can get into it for 7-8k and finish up 10k - 12k in with a massive refresh, you're winning. 

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Needs a good tidy and not sure what up with those exhaust tips but you're really buying the engine and gearbox combo right?

Whats with the really gross looking seats? Poverty spec seats? It should have sport seats fitted.

1726709774.jpg

• Like 1

Yup according to vin should have heated sports seats. Looks like its had some butchery done, trim panel covering centre console bolts missing etc as well. (Plus it just looks sticky! haha). Would be good buy if can get it cheap. 

Edited by Jacko

Was looking on Facebook marketplace and found a manual conversion kit from an E90 320i. Have confirmed the gearbox would fit. Just wanting to know if any modifications would need to be made to driveshaft etc.

25 minutes ago, duluth said:

Was looking on Facebook marketplace and found a manual conversion kit from an E90 320i. Have confirmed the gearbox would fit. Just wanting to know if any modifications would need to be made to driveshaft etc.

Are they the same gearbox as a 130i? That's nearly double the power /torque you'd be putting through it. 

Edited by NZ_InFerno

18 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Are they the same gearbox as a 130i? That's nearly double the power /torque you'd be putting through it. 

Nope, the 130i one is a GS6-37BZ - rated to 370Nm, the ratios and box are shared with early Z4 3.0Si (think the later ones are shorter geared). 320i is a GS6-17BG... presumably to 170Nm??... and is used in the 4 pots 1-5 series.

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Optimism defined:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3595961461

No questions allowed but don't worry, he's a decent bloke... 🙄 

Wow, looks stunning!  Other than the M badge. only 60,000km... poor neglected thing :( 

Yeah, it's a stupid price. I'm guessing halogens also being NZ new. 🤮

On 5/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, M3AN said:

Needs a good tidy and not sure what's up with those exhaust tips but you're really buying the engine and gearbox combo right?

Sold for $6.5K. If there isn’t too much wrong with it I think that’s a decent deal someone got with enough room in the budget left over to give it a decent tidy up. 

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more, if there's nothing seriously wrong that's a steal.

• Like 2

Pulled the tardme pin on these, look to have recaro mounting brackets etc from what I could see, dont look too out of place in an E87, plus air lumbar, heating, and ass cooling fans. Oddball JDM recaros, look to be aftermarket only - SP-JC. 

Cert to install them doesnt look too tricky, removing airbags being the main hurdle. Rest looks fairly legit. The car they are installed in is a bog standard poverty pack prelci 120 wreck.

1741273840.jpg

1741273862.jpg

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Pulled the tardme pin on these, look to have recaro mounting brackets etc from what I could see, dont look too out of place in an E87, plus air lumbar, heating, and ass cooling fans. Oddball JDM recaros, look to be aftermarket only - SP-JC. 

Cert to install them doesnt look too tricky, removing airbags being the main hurdle. Rest looks fairly legit. The car they are installed in is a bog standard poverty pack prelci 120 wreck.

1741273840.jpg

1741273862.jpg

Pretty damn cool. How much were they asking for them? 

1 minute ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Pretty damn cool. How much were they asking for them? 

Auction ended at $1400, which is good, as its what my mental limit was set to and the other guy backed off :D 1410 and he woulda had em....

• Like 3

Top shopping for classy seats, well done.

I'm sure installation and compliance will be more of a PITA than you've imagined but the end result will be mega and well worth it. Ace. 👍

• Like 1