Jacko

The 130i Thread

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

Looks like a nice manual one. Ive never heard of a N52 headgasket failing before (other than the ones running boost)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/130i/listing/3615173923

Haven't been following the market much lately, any of the higher price manuals sold? 

32 minutes ago, ciderbeard said:

Thinking about selling my 130i and getting a 135i N54.  Crazy?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Any recommendations for general work and maintenance on my 130i? bonus points if it’s out West?  

I went to a place and I don’t know If I should say their name but it was pretty bad, wont be going back.  

12 hours ago, ciderbeard said:

Thinking about selling my 130i and getting a 135i N54.  Crazy?

no, would highly recommend, very fun car

Both 130i and 135i are fun and awesome cars, in different ways. 

130i - more versatile, 4 doors, bigger boot space, can rev high, NA engine, great handling, awesome around town and twisties

135i - subjectively looks cooler imo, great if you usually drive alone or with 1 other person, faster, turbo spooling sounds, also handles great, amazing performance if you are chasing quick 0-100 or off the line speeds

• Like 1

1 hour ago, qube said:

Both 130i and 135i are fun and awesome cars, in different ways. 

130i - more versatile, 4 doors, bigger boot space, can rev high, NA engine, great handling, awesome around town and twisties

135i - subjectively looks cooler imo, great if you usually drive alone or with 1 other person, faster, turbo spooling sounds, also handles great, amazing performance if you are chasing quick 0-100 or off the line speeds

I would agree with this, I have never owned a 130i, but have a 135i and a 325i wagon, n52 engine is great in the 325, and would be significantly better in 3l form in a lighter, smaller car. n54 is great engine but different to drive, much more low down power but falls off at higher revs, handling is great too on the 135i with a few changes, definitely recommend stiffer suspension, and negative camber up front, and the OEM rear subframe bushings aren't the best either. 

Both cars have their pros and cons, but id imagine that a 130i might be more rewarding to drive especially on nz roads, high revving NA straight six, more linear power, whereas the 135i is almost too out of control, especially when tuned, traction is always an issue.

• Like 2

I found the 135 to be quite “jumpy” with the power it has combined with the shorter wheelbase, makes it quite a (potentially) dangerous little rocket car. It just means that it should be in the hands of a capable/careful driver who knows how to drive to the conditions and not push it beyond it’s limits because its not going to be very forgiving. The 130 wheelbase may be similar but with more weight and less power it is definitely easier to manage.

An E9x 325i is a totally different car to the E87 130i. Ive owned the wagon E91, and coupe E92 and driven the E90 sedan and vert E93 all with the N52b25.

• Like 1

Yes the 135i can be a deathtrap especially in the wet with traction control off, but also very fun, like I said can't really comment on the 130i though, having never driven one, was more referring to how different the n52 engine was to the n54. 

Would definitely recommend giving a 135i a test drive though if you are considering it

3 hours ago, elias said:

Yes the 135i can be a deathtrap especially in the wet with traction control off, but also very fun, like I said can't really comment on the 130i though, having never driven one, was more referring to how different the n52 engine was to the n54. 

Would definitely recommend giving a 135i a test drive though if you are considering it

there's in an interesting manual 135 on sale in Welly that apparently has a factory LSD...

2 hours ago, gofaster said:

or have an N54 130i 😁

Ahh you beauty! I remember I saw it in Addington some months back, thought I must have seen the badge wrong or something, had to go back and re-check. Glad I wasn't tripping :D Looked mint.

3 minutes ago, Vass said:

Ahh you beauty! I remember I saw it in Addington some months back, thought I must have seen the badge wrong or something, had to go back and re-check. Glad I wasn't tripping :D Looked mint.

Thanks,

built by HellBM and I have completed a lot of usual maintenance items, just one job to do then may be on the market.

HellBM created a build thread in Projects before I bought it

Edited by gofaster
typo

15 hours ago, ciderbeard said:

there's in an interesting manual 135 on sale in Welly that apparently has a factory LSD...

interesting, as far as I was aware a LSD was never a factory option, which was a big mistake on bmws part imo 

On 6/1/2022 at 8:25 PM, ciderbeard said:

For that money you could get one of the best sorted 130's out there and have more range of enjoyment, and less chance of death.

Base manual LCI 130i in good condition, low km's plus:

• LSD
  • Coilovers if you know what you're doing otherwise mint aftermarket shocks and springs w/camber plates
  • M3 front and rear arms and sway bars
  • All new bushes (w/inserts if required)
  • M135i/140i front brakes (rears are optional I've found but E8x 135 rears, painted to match are less faff)
  • Stainless exhaust, or BMWP backbox (if you can find one - probably not)
  • 280hp tune
  • You might even be able to squeeze an intake (GruppeM, Simota, BMWP, etc)
  • Edit: Plus cert of course

If I ever get tired of mine, I think I will part it out rather than sell it, I'll get back more than I paid for it.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, gofaster said:

or have an N54 130i 😁

If you had all the parts already just laying around then it could be worthwhile. Especially if you want something different, or “built not bought” as the homies say.

Otherwise you’d just buy an F20 M135i wouldn’t you..? Better chassis, better engine, easy to tune or modify…

28 minutes ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Better chassis, better engine, easy to tune or modify…

disagree with this, n54 is arguably a stronger engine and easier to tune, although I agree that a m135i is a better, much more balanced car than a n54 130i would be

• Like 1

4 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

If you had all the parts already just laying around then it could be worthwhile. Especially if you want something different, or “built not bought” as the homies say.

Otherwise you’d just buy an F20 M135i wouldn’t you..? Better chassis, better engine, easy to tune or modify…

if you are happy settling for an auto, then you betcha

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blackie said:

I'll just chip in and say F20 is ugly too.

Face like a dropped pokemon

17 hours ago, gofaster said:

if you are happy settling for an auto, then you betcha

When it’s the 8-speed auto-magic in a road car (even a weekend fun drive car) then no problem.

And, whilst beauty is always in the eye of the beer-holder, the E87 isn’t exactly a timeless looker is it.?

1 hour ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

When it’s the 8-speed auto-magic in a road car (even a weekend fun drive car) then no problem.

And, whilst beauty is always in the eye of the beer-holder, the E87 isn’t exactly a timeless looker is it.?

not a bad looking car by any means its just the big headlights on the e87 and e82/88 take a bit of getting used to

• Like 1

Msport kit and aero wing certainly do a lot of heavy lifting, it's aged nicely too. 

I remember seeing the 1 series in Motor magazine at launch, thought it was fugly. 

• Like 1