Jacko

The 130i Thread

I'm not sure about race to the bottom, good reproductions are as good as the original, the originals are just criminally overpriced. So the open market tells us what they're actually worth, and highlights how unreasonable BMW branded parts prices can be. My Renn coolant hose was $70 including shipping and GST, same part from BMW, same manufacturer, over $150. So, what are they worth? Well, ~$70 obviously, certainly not $150.

And there's no real value added service in supplying spare parts, that shouldn't materially affect the cost of the product.

Does anyone have an idea about how much coolant I might lose replacing the top hose? It's still dripping nearly 4 weeks on so clearly there's still coolant running into the existing hose (much to my surprise, I've lost over 1 litre already).

2 hours ago, M3AN said:

Does anyone have an idea about how much coolant I might lose replacing the top hose? It's still dripping nearly 4 weeks on so clearly there's still coolant running into the existing hose (much to my surprise, I've lost over 1 litre already).

Id just dump it all anyway, going to need a bleed etc anyway. Coolants cheap. 

2 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Whilst I agree that's not practical at the moment, and I have enough concentrate to top it up (I think) but not fill it up. I suppose I'll find out when I remove the original hose!

3 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

Yeah true, race to the bottom these days very few people seem to want to pay for quality or service. If that’s all their worth then I’ll put them in the wife’s mighty 116d for shits and gigs.

FWIW looks like gloss round the outside and the vertical slats are satin. 

Pics, still interested... 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jacko said:

1 hour ago, M3AN said:

Whilst I agree that's not practical at the moment, and I have enough concentrate to top it up (I think) but not fill it up. I suppose I'll find out when I remove the original hose!

lol - well as it turns out I had the wrong coolant for the E87 so had to get new stuff, as a result will do exactly what you suggested @Jacko.

🙄

Hope everyone here is well this winter, 🥶

Mickey mouse hose upgraded (done)
Oil filter housing and Oil cooler gasket replacement. (halfway done🤞

Soo I need some help, like physical help and was wondering if any of you guys are experienced removing a stripped bottom bolt of my oil filter housing as I may have stripped it :(  due to being over torqued(I believed) for some reason. top came off easily just hammered a few times with the e10 socket. before I ended up rounding the rear bolt(still in good cond) i'll get you guys to try it, if it fail we may have to remove the intake manifold few inches down and should leave us more working space.

I have tried different methods of getting it out like hammering e10 socket to get it back into shape and try again from there but it feels like i ended up rounding it more..

tried wd-40 overnight and next day, no luck.

tried drilling a slot in the middle for a flathead screw driver but still cant crack it lose

tried Irwin Bolt-Grip extractor similar to e-10 socket but more cylindrical jagged  socket also doesnt work

tried epoxy glue (as the guy from bunnings suggests) and sacrificed by e10 socket.. now I have to buy a whole set again as E-10 sockets cant be purchased on its own 😪

one of the last options is to buy an Screw Extractor set and drill into socket head and could be a higher chance of getting it out compared to others but havent tried it yet due to limited space like the radiator fan. or size of my drill gun🔫

Before I take it in to a mechanic/workshop and will charge me heaps. i'd rather ask here where I started and ask for advise and possibly if come around my place and will be more than happy to pay for your time/effort in hopes we get it out.🤞

I am located in Mt. Wellington near Sylvia park

Can you flick up a pic of the butchery?

Im up north all week, if you are still stuck by friday though yell out and I can give it a go. Have screw extractors etc, but looking at that it'd be easier to grab with something else first.

Looking at my engine on stand, id try get a cold chisel on the upper rear side of it and give it a thump with a BFH, should loosen it enough to grab with something less ape-ish

Edited by Jacko
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Im up north all week, if you are still stuck by friday though yell out and I can give it a go. Have screw extractors etc, but looking at that it'd be easier to grab with something else first.

Looking at my engine on stand, id try get a cold chisel on the upper rear side of it and give it a thump with a BFH, should loosen it enough to grab with something less ape-ish

mhmm might need to go out and get a cold chisel but tbh dont think that would work either as I think i tried something similar also purchased a milwaukee needle nose vice grip yesterday but cant even grip the bolt properly unless i really rounded it for more surface soo I sacrificed my e-10 socket and glued it in, tried it this morning and no luck as it came off lol. I'm happy to wait for ya this friday and see how it goes :)

A little heat should help too.  Small gas torch to heat up and expand the bolt.  Be very careful though.  Make sure there is nothing that can melt or catch fire.

If does look to be at that point where you take the head off the bolt, remove the oil filter housing.  Then heat the remainder of the bolt and get something to grip the shaft of the bolt better.

@Angelo

I'm just up the road, happy to help if I can. I have butane torch you can borrow, and some Rost Off Blue Ice for cooling, it would be best to start with cooling although I don't know how much is left in the can but you can pick up more from Wurth in Wiri.

Do you have any vice grips or wrench pliers that you can grab the head with?

Cutting the head off, or even just the flange, will release the tension and should allow it to be removed.

Drilling through the head will allow you to insert something into the hole to twist it out, being aluminium that should be viable.

Have a bunch of tools you can borrow if you like, I'm in Mt Wellington and working from home on Monday.

Edited by M3AN

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

@Angelo

I'm just up the road, happy to help if I can. I have butane torch you can borrow, and some Rost Off Blue Ice for cooling, it would be best to start with cooling although I don't know how much is left in the can but you can pick up more from Wurth in Wiri.

Do you have any vice grips or wrench pliers that you can grab the head with?

Cutting the head off, or even just the flange, will release the tension and should allow it to be removed.

Drilling through the head will allow you to insert something into the hole to twist it out, being aluminium that should be viable.

Have a bunch of tools you can borrow if you like, I'm in Mt Wellington and working from home on Monday.

oh yo! thanks man be happy for you to drop by and have a yarn. I do have a needle nose vice grip but i think wrench pliers should work best in its current situation. but unfortunately I do not have one. I can try buy one tomorrow if you do not have one. I havent drilled into the hole yet as i have limited space given the size of my tools and radiator fan being on the way. Anyways really appreciate you if you do drop by. I'll be at home all day tomorrow as it's my day off :)

15 minutes ago, Angelo said:

oh yo! thanks man be happy for you to drop by and have a yarn. I do have a needle nose vice grip but i think wrench pliers should work best in its current situation. but unfortunately I do not have one. I can try buy one tomorrow if you do not have one. I havent drilled into the hole yet as i have limited space given the size of my tools and radiator fan being on the way. Anyways really appreciate you if you do drop by. I'll be at home all day tomorrow as it's my day off :)

PM sent.

debating between 17's or 18's.  I need new rear tires so if I go up to 18's its a good time to do it.  Also planning to switch from run flats to normal tires either way.  What's a good value tire?  Seems like people just default to the Michelin PS4's.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ciderbeard said:

debating between 17's or 18's.  I need new rear tires so if I go up to 18's its a good time to do it.  Also planning to switch from run flats to normal tires either way.  What's a good value tire?  Seems like people just default to the Michelin PS4's.

Check out Hyperdrive, they often have some good deals going. PS4's seem to be the top of the range go-to, in terms of value tho not sure if they're the best bang for buck.

I'm trying out Dunlop Sport Maxx 50+'s on my 18" set. Haven't gone on the car yet but judging by reviews, seem to be good value, especially at 40% off.

Definitely 18s, 17s are too small. 

RE003s are great bang for buck, places like Tonys tyres do good prices on them. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Vass said:

Check out Hyperdrive, they often have some good deals going. PS4's seem to be the top of the range go-to, in terms of value tho not sure if they're the best bang for buck.

I'm trying out Dunlop Sport Maxx 50+'s on my 18" set. Haven't gone on the car yet but judging by reviews, seem to be good value, especially at 40% off.

PS5's now. They are also cheaper than 4's in size i want

Plus 1 for RE003

Had them on my previous standard 130i manual and current N54 130i.

Excellent in wet and dry and provide plenty of grip when the power goes down 😁

• Like 1

Have RE003s as well. 

Was recommended Hankooks or Laufenns last time I asked about tyres, will be trying Laufenn LK03 when I replace my fronts 

• Like 2

As above, 18's and don't pay a premium for Michelins.

I'm also using RE003's, I'd recommend those or Goodyear F1's (which I have on my M3).

Don't know about premium, they were cheaper than Re003 last time I bought them and performed better overall.

• Like 1

That's what I meant said, don't pay a premium, if you can get them for a similar price to other comparable tyres then pick your fancy, it's much of a muchness when it comes to performance across the top brands.

Edited by M3AN