Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

E46 330ci Manual

Soooo.... Installed my new suspension - AP Suspension shocks and lowering springs, Lemforder shock and strut mounts / Meyle HD CABs / new bump stops. An educational experience with a more skilled friend.

After initially being worried I got the install wrong (front didn't really lower and a few noises) car seems fine. I just had everything suspension / bushing wise checked out at Bellars Motorworks today to be safe and they changed the transmission fluid (I couldn't get the fill plug off!!).

Disappointingly the new springs appear to have lowered the rear but barely lowered the front - 10mm max? I was expecting 20-25mm in the front and barely anything in rear. It also still has a typical(?) BMW lean with the drivers side being a bit lower than passenger side. Car rides well though and handles a little sharper - not as much of an improvement as I expected but meh, its better...

New transmission fluid made a positive difference though, noticeably smoother, less notchy shifts - apparently had wrong fluid in it.

And car got a pretty good report from Bellars (who I was super impressed with) - does not need new RTABs (which I already bought) and they only noted slight play in the rear upper outer joints and a slight crack in rear diff mount - didn't seem to be a concern, so will likely hold off on that for when / if I eventually reinforce the rear subframe and bushings.

Will drive it a few weeks but have a feeling coilovers may be in my near future....

330ci-19.jpg

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Car looks mint IMO!

Slight lean plus drivers side shot makes it look lower ?

42 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Slight lean plus drivers side shot makes it look lower ?

I had the same issue using cobra lowering springs on my old touring. Drivers side measured 585mm from centre cap to arch, passenger side 600mm.

If you swap the f springs around the ride height should basically balance out when you’re in the driver seat. I think all these after market spring makers for bmw’s use lhd cars as their basis. 

• Like 1

Can you also get different thickness spring pads for the E46 like you could for the E36 to balance that lean?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, KwS said:

Can you also get different thickness spring pads for the E46 like you could for the E36 to balance that lean?

Yeah, for rear only though...I have 5mm and 10mm ones, so could do a switch in the rear.

And they'll compress over time.

Owning BMW's = getting used to the lean. Even my 130 on fully adjustable coil overs leans and they're adjusted perfectly hub to arch... ?

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gave the car a quick groom today as weather looks good for next few days - another rinseless wash, must say quite enjoying washing without a hose! Therapeutic.

Glamour shots from a perfect Auckland evening with the car on its new suspension (needs moar low) and newish euro plates and corner lights.

330ci-26.jpg330ci-34.jpg

330ci-31.jpg

330ci-23.jpg

330ci-25.jpg

330ci-29.jpg

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 3

I think you're obviously pretty good with a camera Sam but your car continues to impress me, it just looks timeless BMW, it's perfect. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, M3AN said:

I think you're obviously pretty good with a camera Sam but your car continues to impress me, it just looks timeless BMW, it's perfect. 

Cheers Dave! 

Timeless is definately the look I'm going for ?

Getting there cosmetically but still a fair bit to do to get it driving exactly how I want it. 

• Like 1

That’s a keeper.....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NUSTAD said:

That’s a keeper.....

That's definately the plan! 

After sitting in my basement for 2 months, got my Supersprint backbox installed yesterday. 

Looks great, sounds good, a subtle volume upgrade TBH (compared to stock plus golf tee mod) but feels like it has less drone / boominess and a nicer tone and very subtle burble on deceleration. 

My intake is pretty loud but now feels reasonably balanced between induction / exhaust now. 

Will drive it a week or so and see how I feel and whether or not I go ahead and delete the secondary cats or resonator for a little more volume / scream up top. 

IMG_20201001_105115.jpg

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Sammo said:

After sitting in my basement for 2 months, got my Supersprint backbox installed yesterday. 

Looks great, sounds good, a subtle volume upgrade TBH (compared to stock plus golf tee mod) but feels like it has less drone / boominess and a nicer tone and very subtle burble on deceleration. 

My intake is pretty loud but now feels reasonably balanced between induction / exhaust now. 

Will drive it a week or so and see how I feel and whether or not I go ahead and delete the secondary cats or resonator for a little more volume / scream up top. 

IMG_20201001_105115.jpg

IMO the ride height is very good. And will over time to the balanced lower look you are seeking. Nothing like the crackle of a supersprint?

• Like 1

@Bandit The ST XA Coilovers are already ordered from Germany ?

Kind of want a *little* more from the exhaust but think I'll just quit while i'm ahead as don't want to risk ruining the tone / creating drone etc ?

Have to say, after a week with the Supersprint on, I'm very happy - I think its just about perfect for the OEM+ thing I'm going for with the car. I swear its a little more vocal than when first put on.

Great cruising rumble and manly sounding cold starts, no drone, nice 'smooth' burbles on deceleration and when rev matching for downshifts and sounds good with the induction roar when I boot it.

Makes the rear look a little tougher too.

To do list for rest of year:

• Oil / Filter and Oil level sensor - switching from Edge 5w30 to HPR5 5w40
  • Smoke test 
  • Remap
  • Coilovers and good alignment
  • Different Wheels
  • Boot respray (its a slightly darker colour which isn't obvious but bothers me)

IMG_20201006_124638.jpg

50 minutes ago, Sammo said:

Plans:

• Different Wheels

IMG_20201006_124638.jpg

U wot m8?

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, KwS said:

U wot m8?

Haha - I'm getting a bit anal now but these have faces that are a bit chrome and want similar style but with silver / brushed faces and polished lips.

Or, in my dreams -  some ACS Type 2/3 racing.

Have had my eye on these (reps) but don't think they are in stock.

Screenshot_20201007_141828.jpg

Not sure what your budget is......

but have a set of genuine bbs lm 18 inch coming up forsale shortly!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arron said:

Not sure what your budget is......

but have a set of genuine bbs lm 18 inch coming up forsale shortly!

What width / offset / colour?

6 hours ago, Sammo said:

What width / offset / colour?

5DF6C859-F008-4A65-9921-B16FA6D95891.thumb.jpeg.b38c4dc72ac69e7b500bef32d8de00bc.jpegThey are gold, 8x18 et35 

2A93C15C-1C4A-4BAF-930A-D4DBA9FCA642.jpeg

8E8BB978-6F28-4804-8DF2-A99E816B137E.jpeg

@Arron Thanks man - nice wheels but probably not what I'm after (colour / width / condition) - would maybe view them if I was in CHC to check how the colour looked but all good ?

I love bbs lm, but your current wheels suit the car better tbh. 

• Like 1

Car got a fair bit of love in the past 3 days:

• Fresh oil / Cabin Filter / Oil Level Sensor
  • Smoke test for vacuum leaks - all good
  • New ///Msport door sills - old ones were very tatty
  • Black BMW rego pouch from https://filthydog.co.nz/ beats the old orange VTNZ one 
  • Secondary cats removed - Supersprint has woken up a bit now - sounds great without being obnoxious at all
  • Replaced old rusty wheel bolts with some gold bling - quite like them - thought I would try and looks good IMO with the gold interior

IMG_20201021_175921.jpg

• Like 4

Little treat for the 46 arrived today; a set of pretty mint and rare Piano Black interior trim - always wanted a set but never seen it for sale before until a little good fortune on Sunday.

Should look a lot nicer than the carbon cube I have. Never realised Piano black had a subtle metallic in it - very nice. 

Hope to get it in before this Sundays AKL meet up. 

IMG_20201029_102315.jpg

IMG_20201029_102217.jpg

• Like 5