Sign in to follow this  
Sammo

E46 330ci Manual

Sick. Where did your source? 

You could probably polish it up to be better than new! 

1 hour ago, m325i said:

Sick. Where did your source? 

You could probably polish it up to be better than new! 

Guy on a Facebook group asked what it might be worth so jumped on it straight away...

Yeah, hoping a buff and wax will get rid of a few little scratches but its in surprisingly good condition.

@Sammo What is your opinion on the oil?

I've been using 5w30 edge for a really long time, but I'm interested to hear others real life experiences before I switch to something else

On 11/6/2020 at 11:11 PM, zero said:

@Sammo What is your opinion on the oil?

I've been using 5w30 edge for a really long time, but I'm interested to hear others real life experiences before I switch to something else

Done less than a 1000km so far so hard to know TBH.

I changed due to the weight as my car was using a fair bit of oil with the edge 5w30 (and I hadn't noticed it using much of whatever was in it when I bought it).

Car feels good with either

Edited by Sammo

Put my ST XA coilovers on today... went well - really stoked, so much flatter and more responsive through corners and WAY happier changing direction, no rubbing and rides pretty good too - firm but well damped (in middle of adjustable damping range at the moment).

Might do a little more fine tuning in the next week then its alignment and cert time. Is about 325-330mmmm hub to arch all-round which is a good balance between looks and (relative) practicality I think.

Was thinking of rolling rear gaurds and getting a 10mm spacer on there for a little more thicc before cert but given its not rubbing may just leave it.

Bonus pic - new Piano black trims installed - loving them.

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_1196.jpg

IMG_1199.jpg

IMG_1201.jpg

• Like 12

Got my alignment today at Wairau Alignment, getting ready for cert, he did unfortunately confirm my Tie rods are shot which I suspected and made the alignment tricky so another item for the to-do list...

Steering feels significantly better which is nice, should be great when I change the Tie rods and get another alignment ?

I don't have camber plates so was a little concerned at being able to get it close enough to factory specs for LVVTA certification which I'll be doing ASAP.

Rear camber was no issue but front camber was borderline at my current ride height which is low but not silly IMO.

Front Left -1'04' (spec range -1'03' - 0'23')

Front Right - 1'32' (spec range -1'03' - 0'23')

Alignment guy seemed think while not ideal, this would pass cert (within 1/2 a degree of stock range) so fingers crossed! Really don't want to have to buy camber plates as well...

IMG_1288.jpg

• Like 7

That is looking amazing, I still get blown away by that colour combo every time you post more photos. Think I need to get me some of that waterless wash you use too, my car has gotten FILTHY! Although I think I heard they may ease the water restrictions at the end of the month? ?

• Like 2

Yep, that interior looks a special place to be! The gear knob matching the piano trim looks awesome. Have you thought about caramel boots?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt said:

That is looking amazing, I still get blown away by that colour combo every time you post more photos. Think I need to get me some of that waterless wash you use too, my car has gotten FILTHY! Although I think I heard they may ease the water restrictions at the end of the month? ?

Yeah, the rinseless is good stuff, although I only let my car get a little road film before I use it (i.e. not too dirty).

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

Yep, that interior looks a special place to be! The gear knob matching the piano trim looks awesome. Have you thought about caramel boots?

Thanks! Drivers seat is a little shinier than the rest now but I'm going to re-do the matte clear soon.

I have considered it - concern however is finding one  / colour matching - I guess I could spray my boots with my leftover dye and try it out ?

So, went for my cert today for the Coilovers and Manual Swap and failed...

Appears the driveshaft in it is not the factory 330ci manual one and as it appeared likely modified to fit (not sure how they could tell as doubt they pulled the heat shields etc off) and had a washer welded on to it (for balancing?) apparently I will need two driveshaft hoops. I did buy the car already swapped so I don't really know too much about the driveline except for what's stamped on the Gearbox (ZF 1053401131and Diff (3.38 auto diff). Cert guy did mentioned it appeared all well done but the law is the law...

As an aside the gear selector rod has been lengthened, not sure why that would be.

Bit of a nasty surprise as I understood those were only necessary for power increases / engine swaps etc.

Anyways, unless I can somehow show it is the correct factory shaft I've got some more time and money to spend 👌

Would be a good time to do a shifter rebuild / short shifter and tranny mounts I suppose.

E46 yo.jpg

Edited by Sammo

Well that sucks.

At least whoever did the manual swap used a zf trans, as they are much better than the getrag 220's some use.

Aaron Prattley makes some real nice chassis mounted shifters for reasonable money

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, zero said:

Well that sucks.

At least whoever did the manual swap used a zf trans, as they are much better than the getrag 220's some use.

Aaron Prattley makes some real nice chassis mounted shifters for reasonable money

Cheers - yeah, was just chatting to Josh about his - I was thinking more OEM+ (E60 545i shifter) but will see

Time to strip off the heat shields and see what part number is on the shaft?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, KwS said:

Time to strip off the heat shields and see what part number is on the shaft?

Yeah would be a good idea, not sure where it would be printed?

While I enjoy a bit of diy, dropping exhaust and driveshaft on jack stands is a little beyond my comfort level 😬

Factory shafts come with white sicker in a fairly large font  with part number on the front shaft section. You could probably see it by loosening and pulling down the front heatshield or maybe mirror, camera bore scope. That's if it hasn't been cut, painted over, removed etc.

• Thanks 1

My E36 shaft had it on the rear section just before the diff, so i guess it could be either end

Soooooooooo..... been quite busy pumping money and time into the car lately - went on a bit of a blitz as I've decided to keep it after humming and ha-ing over selling to get into an overpriced E30 - that day will have to wait.

• Had my driveshaft hoops for certification installed - cert plate will be here soon although rear hoop is hitting exhaust over bumps and will be sorted shortly (spent a Saturday chasing the noise thinking it was to do with my swaybar install)
  • Upgraded my Msport sway bars (23.5mm & 18mm) to an M3 front bar and Msport vert rear (26mm and 20mm now) with new bushings. These have tightened the handling up really nicely (especially the rear) and complement my moderate coilover spring rates perfectly. Adjustable end links are on the way.
  • Had a small dent fixed, my boot resprayed and rear gaurds blended and my M3 mirrors colour matched (boot and mirror colour was off before)
  • Installed a no-name (Ruff?) Short shifter from Speedfactor - great unit, it uses the factory style shifter cup, but has a steel pivot ball, adjustable throw length and adjustable height - can be notchy at low speed when cold but feels awesome 98% of the time - If I had known how easy and satisfying this job was I would have done it as soon as I got the car.
  • Gave my front seats a respray with leather matte clear coat - after a year since my refinishing project they still looked great, but drivers seat was getting a bit shiny - this was a 2 hour cakewalk compared to the colour change nightmare and they look absolutely sensational again. I used a more durable clear this time around so expecting the matte to last a bit better.

Things I hope to do next week - Alcantara (well, Ebay suede) shift and handbrake boots and a full groom including polish and sealant - need to get rid of a few tiny swirls and the little buffer trails panel beaters love to leave everywhere.

Seat before and after below.

97E0F2FA-4E25-47D0-A667-E86D38167E4F.JPG

IMG_1892 copy.jpg

IMG_1894 copy.jpg

Edited by Sammo
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

Any particular overpriced E30 you were after? Good call on keeping her!

I was weighing up getting into a nice 325i Manual 2 door (in general) but would cost a crapload to get one / get one to the standard of the 330ci... hopefully as a weekend car in a year or two 🤞

• Like 1

The e46 is a better car in almost all regards, so good call keeping it. 

• Like 1

On 1/29/2021 at 8:37 PM, Sammo said:

I was weighing up getting into a nice 325i Manual 2 door (in general) but would cost a crapload to get one / get one to the standard of the 330ci... hopefully as a weekend car in a year or two 🤞

Maybe the pricing of them will come down in a year or two.....yeah right haha. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, KwS said:

The e46 is a better car in almost all regards, so good call keeping it. 

I think so (if one can put nostalgia style aside), its still 'analogue' and thanks to Takata / BMW, I'm rolling with 2020 front airbags in my 20 year old car  :)

• Like 1

Gave the car a full detail, been holding off on this for a while until I had some panel and paint done and redid the seats. Got a few nice snaps as well - used a polarizer for the reflections which worked great.

• Wash with Carpro Reset
  • Wheel clean with Meguiars wheel cleaner
  • Polyshave (clay block)
  • Rinse and dry
  • Hand polish with Menzerna 2400
  • Solution finish trim restorer and Fireball tire wax
  • Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax
  • Carpro Elixer to finish

330ciFeb21-2.jpg

330ciFeb21.jpg

330ciFeb21-5.jpg

• Like 13

Great start to the weekend - got an ECU tune + burble / crackle map done and most importantly got my my rev hang fixed which has been a pet peeve since I've had the car - I had learned to drive around the rev hang (slowing shifts down), feels much sharper and lighter now.

Car feels livelier, although probably Placebo, but it is  definitely driving almost as good as it looks now :)

Sounds good too - the burbling / crackling is obvious on deceleration but not obnoxious as the Supersprint is a reasonably quiet muffler.

IMG_2170.jpg

• Like 9