Sign in to follow this  
gofaster

Starter BMW for my son (E87 118i) + 130i for me

Hi. Am looking for a car for my 22 y.o. son and he quite likes this 118i

Lowish km, anything to look out for?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2415782010.htm  

Also reasonably interested in a 130i manual for myself and that cheap one with high km down in Queenstown looks tempting.

Anything to watch there?

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-2508066435.htm

Thanks in advance,

John

Avoid the the 4 cylinders in these cars unless you like potential money pits. If you want a 4 cylinder BMW that fairly reliable then you'd have to buy an older 3 series with M10, M43 or M44 engine.

Sixes are better but do have some expensive faults that can occur. Plenty of info from members on here and net about N52 engine.

I know nothing about 118's but that red one seems expensive for what you get.

As for the white 130, well I'm stunned it hasn't sold, if I weren't already smitten I would have gone down to have a look. What's the worst that could happen, the car is crap but you get to spend a day or two around Queenstown? I could think of worse fates. You're much closer than me, if I lived in Christchurch I would have already driven it.

But that doesn't make it a good car. Check the service logs, get it inspected if you can, at the very least check for oil leaks under the engine and transmission (you have to take the bottom cover off to check this properly).

Either way, $7k for the car, expect to need to replace suspension, brakes and bushes so budget $3k for repairs and maintenance, and you've got a 130i manual for $10k. Bargain every day.

Budget for a waterpump too and possibly battery as doesnt say that they've been done. Soon enough it will be a 10k car like the well maintained ones.

• Like 2

Thank you all for the advice. We will leave the later 4 pot and keep searching.