Sign in to follow this  
jon dee

Heatsoak causing difficult starting ?

I've been jumping around smiddy :)  Currently I am on MHD 1+ ver 8 without linear throttle because I changed too many things in one hit which makes it hard to say what changes are due to each item changed. After I've run ver 8 for a bit longer I will swap back to ver 9 as Herb recommends. Then I can make a proper comparison without any possibility of linear throttle interfering.

The reason I like feeling the torque roll in is that I spent too long driving 2 litre N.A. sales rep specials... either change down to overtake or get a decent run up :) At that time my toy was a little 1600 twincam Corolla and that had the same problem. Trying to overtake anything in 5th gear was a high risk operation as the car barely responded when the throttle was floored. After I bolted on a twinscrew supercharger I got the kind of response shown in the attached graph. The difference was night and day... with boost the Corolla was ALIVE !!!! I could overtake safely in 5th with just a gentle increase in pressure on the throttle.

And now that I have shaken a few extra hp loose from the 335i I have that same kind of throttle response... torque on tap with just a gentle push on the throttle. There is no way that I can give feeling up now... I'm addicted :grin-min: I know that linear throttle works and the power is still there on tap, but it is soooooooo satisfying to be able to get that push in the back with just a nudge on the gas pedal and know that there is more on tap if needed.

Cheers...

4AGE 2nd gear 01.png

OK...  so I flashed the Stage 1+ ver 9 beta tune this afternoon so I could make a back to back comparison with the ver 8 tune I have been driving on for the last week. Based on a short outing over part of my "test track" I have to say that the ver 9 feels more sophisticated than the ver 8. In Drive the trans is not so twitchy... not so keen to go down a gear when it is not needed and making better use of the low end torque by shifting up a little earlier and then holding gears down to a slightly lower rpm. Not a radical change from ver 8 but smoother and a little reminiscent of the factory stock tune with a lot less dawdling to get moving :)

In Sports mode the same thoughts apply... ver 9 makes better use of the low end torque by not jumping between gears unnecessarily and revving out when taking a higher gear would be a better choice.. While not at race pace (narrow, twisty public road) I did give it a bit of a tickle up and I think gear management has improved and the power also seems to have been improved thru the mid range.  All totally subjective of course, but I definitely think the ver 9 tune can deliver the improvements in 1/4 mile times that Herbmeister has measured.

Stands to reason really... MHD is not going to release a new version of a tune unless it offers an improvement over the previous version. So no reason to upgrade to ver 8 now, just go straight to ver 9 and be happy :) 

Cheers...

I wish I had these options when I had my e91, it sounds like the mhd tune has become a lot more driveable since then. 

As my dear old mother always said.... "The proof of the pudding is in the eating" :) So like all subjective opinions on new modifications,  I will need to revisit this topic after a few months of driving with this version. The 335i has a great thirst for BP98 at $2.35 a litre when pedaled hard in Sports mode, so I spend most of my time in Drive and only drop into Sports when there is a chance to exploit the extra performance. Manual mode is there if required, but to be honest, the car does such a good job of changing gears and keeping the engine on the boil that the only reason I use manual is to be able to start in second gear.

Cheers...

PS: If anyone has a technique for getting the 335i N54 to start in second gear in Sports mode, I would love to hear about it.