Sign in to follow this  
jochen

How to reprogram Jap BMW radio to NZ frequencies..

Here's a useful 'How to' for BMW fans:

HOW TO CHANGE JAPAN RADIOS TO NZ FREQUENCIES - WITHOUT A BAND EXPANDER

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

They also do a USA and CANADA mode but that's not useful here in NZ.

BMWs imported from Japan have their radios set to JAPAN mode (wonder why?)

These can be readily re-programmed to NZ frequencies as follows:

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

5. Switch radio off to store the change

Voila! Your radio has now bee reprogrammed to receive NZ FM frequencies!

Also, the cool RDS features will now be available.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

a) EUROPE has LW, MW and FM. OCEANIA has AM and FM only.

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

c) EUROPE has the softkeys set to RDS and TP; OCEANIA has RDS and PTY

Which ever one you choose - OCEANIA or EUROPE - is up to you, they both work.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

What did you fit instead? just curious...

I happen to have a couple of E46 NZ radios here looking for homes...

And one for an E36/E34/Z3, and one for an E39...

Jochen

jochen, the method you describe above won't work for E36's Japanese radio?

Jochen

what size are they? any cd? how much?

To 318Touring & petone:

Most E36 radios are too old to have world tuners.

BMW made seperate Jap, Euro/NZ and USA versions.

Except for the very latest Business CD - this has the World tuner. But I don't have one.

I do have a Kiwi E36 Business RDS radio/tape here, email me for more details

Jochen

Jochen

Seriously considering the NAV system ... got any availible ?

I do have unfortunitly have special requirements .. as I have the Denson ICE:LINK ipod system in mine ... it 'should' work ..

Hi hybrid,

I've seen your car. If you're keen, it can be done.

Parts need to be sourced either new ($$$$$$$) or secondhand ($$)

I've emailled you the original retro-fit instructions from BMW, according to BMW it takes 5.5hrs of work to fit the retrofit kit.

Have a look through the instructions to understand what is needed.

Cheers, Jochen

Factory fitted BMW radios from around 2000 onwards have a 'world tuner' inside them. The same radio can be used anywhere in the world.

The radio can be programmed to operate in JAPAN mode (FM = 70-90), or in OCEANIA or EUROPE mode (FM=87.5-108).

1. Switch on radio

2. Within 10 seconds, press and hold down the 'm' button until the serial number appears (takes around 10secs) to enter the radio's service menu.

3. Use the + or - buttons to cycle through the menu settings until you see AREA JAPAN or just JAPAN (varies a bit depending on radio)

4. Use the 1...6 buttons to select either OCEANIA (or OCE) or EUROPE - both are valid settings for New Zealand - see below for differences.

Differences between OCEANIA and EUROPE modes on an E46 Business RDS radio (other radios may vary slightly):

B) OCEANIA shows ST for a FM stereo station; EUROPE doesn't show anything for stereo or mono FM stations.

I hope you find this info useful, and that the forum moderator makes this a 'sticky'

PS: If anyone wants any info or help with BMW radios - talk to me. I've helped around 80 BMW owners convert from Japan radios to proper NZ radios for their BMWs, thus keeping the vehicle in original condition, and obtaining proper radio reception. Send me an email for more info!

Cheers, Jochen

Is there a way to do this to an e36 radio or is it just rubbish?

• Like 1

Is there a way to do this to an e36 radio or is it just rubbish?

It depends on what year your E36 is, or you could also tell us which model BMW radio you have. It's very likely yours does not have a world tuner. I think only in the very last year(s?) of the E36, some came with radios that had the world tuner.

1. Switch on radio

Cheers, Jochen

will it work on an e90?

will it work on an e90?

Extracted from the WDS:

Brief description of radio

For the E90, there are four radio levels as optional extras.

Radio Audio without drive

Radio Business CD with CD drive

Radio Professional with CD-ROM drive

Radio Professional with MD drive

In addition, the navigation system Business (M-ASK) and navigation system Professional (CCC) can also be chosen. Different audio system can be combined with the radios. As standard, the stereo system is fitted with all radios (no external amplifier).

Audio program

The audio systems in the BMW 1 Series are divided into 3 levels:

Stereo system

HiFi system

Top Hi-Fi system

The audio systems differ in that various sound pressures can be achieved or there is improved system linearity. The stereo system consists of 6 loudspeakers; the HiFi system or top-hifi system consists of 10 loudspeakers and various additional amplifiers. The central bass speakers are located under the front seats.

Aerials

Rear-window aerials and a roof-mounted aerial are used in the E87. The rear-window aerials deliver the signals for the reception of FM. The roof-mounted aerial receives the signals for the telephone, FM and AM. Antenna diversity is fitted on the Radio Business CD and Radio Professional or higher. Antenna diversity contains the aerial amplifiers. Antenna diversity switches the aerials for FM.

Service mode

Proceed as follows to call up the Service mode:

Terminal 30g ON

Switch off the radio

Switch on the radio again

Within 8s for a duration of 8s, press the button for manual station-search function

The radio switches into the Service mode

So put the radio into service mode and see if you have an AREA option available to you. If so, set it to EUROPE.

I have just bought a 2002 Z3 M. Just tried this now but no luck. I don't have anything that looks remotely like a country apper. Only SN, something that seems to be a date (if it's manuf date then it's a 99 stereo) and something GAL 1 - 6.

I have a E46 2000 320i from Japan. Just tried this now but no luck. I don't have anything that looks remotely like a country apper. Only SN, something that seems to be a date (if it's manuf date then it's a 99 stereo) and something GAL 1 - 6. Is this unit an older radio without the world tuner?

I have a E46 2000 320i from Japan. Just tried this now but no luck. I don't have anything that looks remotely like a country apper. Only SN, something that seems to be a date (if it's manuf date then it's a 99 stereo) and something GAL 1 - 6. Is this unit an older radio without the world tuner?

Yes, your car is too old. World tuners were fitted to E46 from around end 2001.

Only option for you is to replace the radio with a Euro/Oceania model - which in itself is an easy job.

Hey Jochen (or anyone else who may know) ....

We also have a 1999 Audi A4 (B5 model). My wife is making noises about fitting a band expander but is there a similar fix for the standard Audi head unit ??? Yeah I know they are cheap as chips but when fitted the actual frequency is out of whack with the displayed frequency.

Cheers

Mike

Hey Jochen (or anyone else who may know) ....

We also have a 1999 Audi A4 (B5 model). My wife is making noises about fitting a band expander but is there a similar fix for the standard Audi head unit ??? Yeah I know they are cheap as chips but when fitted the actual frequency is out of whack with the displayed frequency.

Don't know about Audis. Try a replacement European model radio, buy one on ebay

Don't know about Audis. Try a replacement European model radio, buy one on ebay

Hi Jochen...new to this forum......is it possible to do the frequency change on a Japan Sepc E60 530? What is the procedure? Many thanks !

Hi Jochen...new to this forum......is it possible to do the frequency change on a Japan Sepc E60 530? What is the procedure? Many thanks !

The E60 is all software controlled.

The car has to be reprogrammed by the diagnostic system to change the radio from JAPAN to EUROPE mode.

Call Guido Locher at BM Workshop, in Auckland, he has been able to reprogram these units.

I cannot do it as I do not have the diagnostic software

Jochen