Sign in to follow this  
Haggisman

130i Manual vs auto

Considering a 130i as a daily and looking for comments from the members re how good the auto gearbox is. Prefer manual but so few around and those that are (apart from IainR’s recent purchase) appear to be a bit untidy with doubtful history. More auto’s for sale and much lower priced so considering an auto and if I don’t like it could do a manual conversion which ballpark appears to be around 4K +/_ 

Have raced various cars over the years including a 3.0 E36 M3 so need something engaging.

Some really good threads here, the one from M3an seems pretty relevant to me.

Look forward to the comments, cheers.

• Like 1

Well, as you know I have an auto but that was a conscious choice, not a matter of budget or availability. In Auckland, especially on my various regular commutes, a manual just wouldn't suit me. And I have the M3 if I need to shift manually.

I used to be a "it must be a manual" guy but I softened on that when I got the auto 328 and the 130 has convinced me that auto's have their place. This box is so good that it's fine for a daily. My opinion would probably be different if I didn't have the M3.

The NRW paddles have totally transformed my experience, I can drive it as hard as I want in manual sport mode and I reckon the box is at least as fast as an early 2000's SMGII "manual" box (e46 M3).

I'm not here to convince you either way, just to say that the 6 speed auto really does seem quite a good gearbox, it's not detracting from my experience, it's actually making my daily commute more enjoyable.

Having said that, manual 130's do pop up from time-to-time at really reasonable prices (sub 9k), there were a few about 4-6 weeks ago so if that's really what you want and you can afford to be patient then I'd say wait.

It's worth noting that I do not know if my transmission software has been changed (the engine software has) and once we're out of lockdown I'm keen to try a known stock auto back-to-back with mine.

Edit: regardless of what you get, 130's are a bucket of fun and I think everybody here who owns one would concur.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1

The ZF6 Speed Auto is a very good box. Service it every 50 to 70k and it will treat you well. Add an XHP tune and you will have a very fast shifting box.

9 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

The ZF6 Speed Auto is a very good box. Service it every 50 to 70k and it will treat you well. Add an XHP tune and you will have a very fast shifting box.

What's best practice for servicing the box? Just lube changes or more than that?

3 hours ago, M3AN said:

Well, as you know I have an auto but that was a conscious choice, not a matter of budget or availability. In Auckland, especially on my various regular commutes, a manual just wouldn't suit me. And I have the M3 if I need to shift manually.

I used to be a "it must be a manual" guy but I softened on that when I got the auto 328 and the 130 has convinced me that auto's have their place. This box is so good that it's fine for a daily. My opinion would probably be different if I didn't have the M3.

The NRW paddles have totally transformed my experience, I can drive it as hard as I want in manual sport mode and I reckon the box is at least as fast as an early 2000's SMGII "manual" box (e46 M3).

I'm not here to convince you either way, just to say that the 6 speed auto really does seem quite a good gearbox, it's not detracting from my experience, it's actually making my daily commute more enjoyable.

Having said that, manual 130's do pop up from time-to-time at really reasonable prices (sub 9k), there were a few about 4-6 weeks ago so if that's really what you want and you can afford to be patient then I'd say wait.

It's worth noting that I do not know if my transmission software has been changed (the engine software has) and once we're out of lockdown I'm keen to try a known stock auto back-to-back with mine.

Edit: regardless of what you get, 130's are a bucket of fun and I think everybody here who owns one would concur.

Enjoyed your thread and hoped you would reply. Good info and comforting to hear the auto is pretty good. Soon as lockdown is over I’ll have a look at a couple. I believe there is an Alpina flash for the gearbox.

2 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

Thanks for the comment, who does the chip tune. Cheers

I mean the xhp tune

Edited by Haggisman
More info

XHP flash is an app you install on your phone/tablet and download the tune from that into the car. Pretty easy to do with the right cable.

The ZF6 in my 150k 335i was horrible, even after servicing it and replacing the seals on the valvebody, it just shifted like complete trash, but it does appear to be the exception as a couple of other ZF6s i have driven (including with higher km) have been a lot better. Might have been down to the extra power being pushed through it without regular servicing, but who knows.

@NZ_InFerno is probably the guy to ask once he gets his 130i sorted. He has both a manual and auto one currently, although both (the manual especially) are being a bit troublesome.

15 hours ago, M3AN said:

What's best practice for servicing the box? Just lube changes or more than that?

Oil pan filter and fluid are the main service points.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

Oil pan filter and fluid are the main service points.

Id do a standard drain and refill, drive it for a bit and then drop the pan/filter. Helps mix the old and new fluid up to drain more old fluid, since only about half comes out in one drain.

• Like 1

For those with the xHP tune; what stage are you running? Are there any drawbacks? 

I think the autobox in the 130i is perfectly fine and well suited to the car. 
best thing to do is drive a few examples both auto and manual and decide for yourself which you prefer. 
If you are happy with either just look for the tidiest example for the right price. 

And then get both :D 

And check for oil leaks from the engine or trans sump, $1500 each to replace if you take it to a shop.

They all eventually leak, so it's just a matter of knowing and negotiating accordingly. 

Auto box is good if you want an auto. Manual box is also good if you want a manual. 

So far I prefer the manual box, the 130i is a very engaging drive if you want to pedal it a bit and I like the manual when driving it. 

If my commute was different I'd probably prefer an auto, just depends what you're used to or like driving. My auto 130i has 220ks on it and still shifts nicely. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, qube said:

I think the autobox in the 130i is perfectly fine and well suited to the car. 
best thing to do is drive a few examples both auto and manual and decide for yourself which you prefer. 
If you are happy with either just look for the tidiest example for the right price.

Soon as lockdown over will do that. At the moment the better cars seem to be auto

1 hour ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Auto box is good if you want an auto. Manual box is also good if you want a manual. 

So far I prefer the manual box, the 130i is a very engaging drive if you want to pedal it a bit and I like the manual when driving it. 

If my commute was different I'd probably prefer an auto, just depends what you're used to or like driving. My auto 130i has 220ks on it and still shifts nicely. 

My preference is manual but at the moment you seem to be able to buy an auto in better condition and cheaper than a manual and if I hated it I could do a manual conversion. Quite keen on the n52k engine as well which makes it 2008 model onwards

TBH if you want a manual one, spend the extra and get a manual one. 98% of the time buying a cheaper auto and converting it to manual isn't cost effective, and if you didnt want an auto in the first place, you're probably not going to be happy slushing around in one for long.

Manuals do come up at good prices, but obviously the market is in a state of chaos with this whole Covid thing. Be patient and get the car you want.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. In terms of what’s on trademe at the moment the auto cars are better value, better condition for the prices asked. My preference is manual but if the gear changes are reasonably quick in the auto then I could live with it as a daily. Will drive a few once the lockdown is over.

3 minutes ago, KwS said:

TBH if you want a manual one, spend the extra and get a manual one. 98% of the time buying a cheaper auto and converting it to manual isn't cost effective, and if you didnt want an auto in the first place, you're probably not going to be happy slushing around in one for long.

Manuals do come up at good prices, but obviously the market is in a state of chaos with this whole Covid thing. Be patient and get the car you want.

You are right of course, could have should have looked at the one IainR bought but black isn’t my first colour choice. Looked like a nice car mind you. The only manuals for sale at the moment have done too many k’s for me or they are too expensive, ie $17 +

turners in Porirua have an auto for under $8k I see

Wait and the market will come back. Have a look at what the manuals have been selling before in this thread, 

IIRC the average price was around 8-10K depending on various factors. Using the cars currently on the market as any sort of price guide is straight up stupid.

130s get better with age :D 

I just say accept the above advice.

If you're undecided auto/manual then you absolutely need to drive an auto, and in traffic, before you decide. But if you're happy with a 'quick enough' auto then just aim for the be value/options one you can find.

Regardless, even manuals can be had for <$10k so don't even consider the crazy priced ones.

Edited by M3AN