Sign in to follow this  
Quan99

Seeking advice for the BMW 116i (2012-2013) (F20)

Hi everyone, 

Im currently looking for a used car which is BMW 116i year around from 2012-2013 and probally with around 30k - 40k KM  done. 

As the first BMW, so im seeking the advice about the feedback of the car from any users. Like what's your experience with the car, the reliable of the car and maintainance cost for a year (Average). 

Also, would you guys recommend me some good used car dealership in Auckland for BMW ? 

Much Appreciate !!

Quan,

Edited by Quan99

Honestly, you really have to ask why you would buy one, a corolla (etc) of the same $ will be more reliable, have a bigger boot, go faster, have more equipment, and be cheaper to maintain. 

Edited by Jacko

3 hours ago, Jacko said:

Honestly, you really have to ask why you would buy one, a corolla (etc) of the same $ will be more reliable, have a bigger boot, go faster, have more equipment, and be cheaper to maintain. 

oh just simply i want to try European car specially with BMW lol. 

! series are nice cars but get one with a bigger engine. The 116i was a lower spec car and with such a small engine just boring. The 125i is a lot more fun.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have nothing but good things to say about the f20 116i. (Owned one for over a year and in retrospect should have kept it) Very nice all round car. Reliable, enough power, newish tech/features, safe and economical. 

Way better than a corolla or other japanese equivalent. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The 4 cylinder 118i/116 are all good and go better than you'd expect. They tend to leak coolant from the connector plate at the rear of the head and expansion tank, both cheap fixes, but otherwise good wee cars

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz said:

The 4 cylinder 118i/116 are all good and go better than you'd expect. They tend to leak coolant from the connector plate at the rear of the head and expansion tank, both cheap fixes, but otherwise good wee cars

Thanks for your share and advice bro! 

3 hours ago, qube said:

I have nothing but good things to say about the f20 116i. (Owned one for over a year and in retrospect should have kept it) Very nice all round car. Reliable, enough power, newish tech/features, safe and economical. 

Way better than a corolla or other japanese equivalent. 

Exactly bro, im feeling really sick with those japanese car lol 

4 hours ago, Herbmiester said:

! series are nice cars but get one with a bigger engine. The 116i was a lower spec car and with such a small engine just boring. The 125i is a lot more fun.

Nah for me 116i engine is enough bro :))

We have had ours coming up to 4 years now.

It's been a good car, it has enough power to do a South Island tour comfortably, economical (takes 95 though), no issue whatsoever, material is and does feel superior to a Corolla or Mazda.

I was looking to get another one for my son but bought a 2015 Mazda2 at the end because I couldn't find an F20 that was reasonably priced (i.e. not from a dealer).  While the Mazda is better equipped, being a Limited, the build quality is in line with where it is positioned in the market which is lower than BMW.  The 1 series drives better too, still has that BMW feeling of a perfect balance between sportiness and control.  Sure it takes about 9-10 seconds to go from 0 to 100 but who cares, I always manage to pass everyone going up the Rimutakas.  Fun comes from being able to chuck it into a corner and knowing that you won't end up in the bushes.

Cons: stupid BMW 24 months servicing schedule, run flat tyres, expensive servicing at BMW dealer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, 318Touring said:

We have had ours coming up to 4 years now.

It's been a good car, it has enough power to do a South Island tour comfortably, economical (takes 95 though), no issue whatsoever, material is and does feel superior to a Corolla or Mazda.

I was looking to get another one for my son but bought a 2015 Mazda2 at the end because I couldn't find an F20 that was reasonably priced (i.e. not from a dealer).  While the Mazda is better equipped, being a Limited, the build quality is in line with where it is positioned in the market which is lower than BMW.  The 1 series drives better too, still has that BMW feeling of a perfect balance between sportiness and control.  Sure it takes about 9-10 seconds to go from 0 to 100 but who cares, I always manage to pass everyone going up the Rimutakas.  Fun comes from being able to chuck it into a corner and knowing that you won't end up in the bushes.

Cons: stupid BMW 24 months servicing schedule, run flat tyres, expensive servicing at BMW dealer.

Oh just about the petrol, so is that mandatory to take 95 with bmw 116i or i can just simple take the 91 unlead one ? 

Wouldn't recommend running on 91, might as well buy the corolla if you're worried about the 91-95 price differential...

• Like 3

Lol if the price difference between 91 and 95 is even a question you're going to hate servicing and fixing a BMW, unless of course you're prepared to get your hands dirty.

• Like 1

Modern corollas are pretty reasonable to drive, I get lots of rentals due to work, the newest gen with the 9 speed CVT are actually very impressive.

Stick a BMW badge on the boot of a Mazda3, maybe an //M badge if you want some more street cred, and feed it 91 all day :D 

Im sticking to If you want a BMW, buy a real BMW, or whats the point other than having a badge on the boot. Im sure 116's are perfectly reasonable small cars, but unless you absolutely must have that BMW badge, the math makes no sense. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Quan99 said:

Oh just about the petrol, so is that mandatory to take 95 with bmw 116i or i can just simple take the 91 unlead one ? 

Read the owner's manual here, search for Petrol Grade, p236

• Thanks 1

The zf8 speed auto in the f20 116i makes it stand out far above the crowd. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes that ZF 8 Speed box is a wonderful piece of engineering. I would choose it over a manual. As to the 116i the one I drove when looking for a car for Mrs Herbmiester underwhelmed me a bit. I drove a few bigger engined 1 series cars that day so I guess it highlighted the power or lack of it. Also it had a pretty plain cloth interior, just no wow factor, my Mother in laws Mazda 3 is nicer inside. The saving grace was the handling, even on average tires it felt nice on the trip home through Whitemans Valley; a road that is quite demanding at any speed over about 40kph. As to passing cars up the Rimutakas', well I think they would have to be pretty slow cars for that to happen.

^ what did u end up with for the mrs? The f20 116i can be easily tuned for big power gains and you really only need to replace the intake pipe as precautionary measure as its rubber and prone to splitting. 

the 125i is nice also but way more money same with m135i. The 116i is a great choice for a daily. Definitely need to get either the sport, edition 30 or msport varient though! The poverty spec is quite horrible inside. 

Any comment on the tuning @qube? I've heard mixed things about the durability of that N13 engine (actually a PSA Peugeot model) and my gut still suggests avoiding 4 cyl petrol BMW engines!

21 hours ago, qube said:

^ what did u end up with for the mrs? The f20 116i can be easily tuned for big power gains and you really only need to replace the intake pipe as precautionary measure as its rubber and prone to splitting. 

the 125i is nice also but way more money same with m135i. The 116i is a great choice for a daily. Definitely need to get either the sport, edition 30 or msport varient though! The poverty spec is quite horrible inside. 

I am still looking, was keen on a Golf for a while but my local Euro mechanic says Mk5/6 Golf repairs are what keeps him in business. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, balancerider said:

Any comment on the tuning @qube? I've heard mixed things about the durability of that N13 engine (actually a PSA Peugeot model) and my gut still suggests avoiding 4 cyl petrol BMW engines!

My understanding is a stage 1 tune is perfectly fine and brings it up and above a 120i which is the same car same engine diff tune from factory. 
I would make sure basic maintenance is up to date such as water pump thermostat and check cooling system and intake pipe as a minimum. Also maybe a bigger inter cooler at some point. Otherwise no issues at all. 

mine was nearing 120k kms when I sold it and drove like new. No problems at all.

29 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

I am still looking, was keen on a Golf for a while but my local Euro mechanic says Mk5/6 Golf repairs are what keeps him in business. 

Would def avoid mk5 golfs too old now. Mk6 is ok but still expensive and just as problematic.

still think the 116i f20 is a great choice as long as sport or ed30 or msport.

great value for money cars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1