Sign in to follow this  
smiddy

N54 335i New Turbos/Compressor Housings

Took the plunge, 14T comp wheel with 9 blade inconell turbine CHRAs.

Upgraded larger thrusts, bearings, collars etc.

N54_Turbo_Ugrade_1.jpg

N54_Turbo_Upgrade_2.jpg

• Like 1

Not to sure, will be adding stepped cooler, inlets, will mod, rear turbo squished outlet pipe and MHD custom tune.

Similar setups in US are around 420 whp on pump gas at around 18psi, be happy with anything around 400.

19 minutes ago, smiddy said:

Not to sure, will be adding stepped cooler, inlets, will mod, rear turbo squished outlet pipe and MHD custom tune.

Similar setups in US are around 420 whp on pump gas at around 18psi, be happy with anything around 400.

That will make it a seriously fast road car as you will have 600nm of torque at least. I imagine traction will be even more of a challenge. 

One of my oem turbos is starting to siren at low boost, ( i hate noise).

I forgot to mension DPs which i plan to add 200 cell cats at flange/ mid pipe junction if possible. No noise, sleeper!?

22 hours ago, smiddy said:

One of my oem turbos is starting to siren at low boost, ( i hate noise).

I forgot to mension DPs which i plan to add 200 cell cats at flange/ mid pipe junction if possible. No noise, sleeper!?

I like it, put some pics up when you do it.

Will do, thanks for your interest John.

Looking at waste gate upgrade also and will basically add my cores to another pair of exhaust housings to make a smooth transfer.?

4 hours ago, smiddy said:

Will do, thanks for your interest John.

Looking at waste gate upgrade also and will basically add my cores to another pair of exhaust housings to make a smooth transfer.?

That sounds interesting, be good to see more on that. I just got new diverter valves for my N54, no real power increase but better response as the plastic valves can be a bit slow, I guess I will find out.

Fitted like a glove! Took 45 miniutes to remove and fit new cooler, 20 of that was chassis shroud off and on.

Certainly a big wack of power gain, mainly mid range from OEM feels to the bum 20+ WHP at 20 deg C.

May take a while for DME to adjust to flow, as have done about 10kms before posting.

FMIC_Install_Pic1.jpg

FIMC_Install_Pic2.jpg

Edited by smiddy
Spelling
  • Like 1

Hi, how have the turbo upgrades been? Did the CHRAs come with any balance sheet? 

Im looking at upgrading my turbos. 

Hi, yes had balance sheet for both units.

Just today mounted comp housings to cartridges.

Have not done much because of lockdown.

Still waiting for inlets,(two months).

Should have it sorted in month or so.

20200620_150420.jpg

I have purchased another set of worn out turbos off same year car to rebuild with new cores added, rattle fix  etc, so can swap turbos out basically.

What is also very noticable on stripping stock turbos, is the weight of stock cast compressor wheel, my scales not to accurate, but 25g.

Pretty much ready to go, new cores, comp housings, 14 T billet wheel, 9 blade turbine, new wastegate flapper valves, actuators. Am told spool times with this setup is on par with ball bearing units, should be good.

Got silicone inlets, outlet mod to OEM squashed tube section, downpipes.

Like the sound of a catted exhaust, mellow and deep, have a couple of narrow 200 cell metal core units, will try and fit directly to down pipe exit flanges behind trans tail shaft.

20200921_184927.jpg

20200921_184557.jpg

Edited by smiddy
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice, I ended up putting in some TD04L-17t China turbos, spool is still very fast I don't even notice the difference really from stock.  Powerband is on a completly differntl level. full power all the way to redline. 
Are you getting a custom tune done?

Wanting to stay around 16-18 psi peak, will probably require LPFP.

Will get it all running and take some logs and contact MHD, a few of this spec hybrids out in market now, like RB ones.

Hopefully they have a tune file i can just flash.

Ah that would be a more cost effective solution. I ended up get a custom tune with wedge performance. Current target is 21 psi. 

You might not need a LPFP as I needed one when going above 18psi. 

Yes, my thoughts also, just want more flow volume for a balanced more linear power curve with bit more top end without down speed slump, if pump is tired will upgrade.

Inlets, DPs,  hot side outlet mod, forge diverters to fit, should at least flow.

Less of a bottle neck now in turbo outlet.

Will get the file out to tidy up.20201007_164354.thumb.jpg.12c072d936d9466b43774ccfcdbf0426.jpg20201007_164144.thumb.jpg.ed8f395ca8d658a408d31aeade93b1bd.jpg

Thanks to Dan at Brugar Engineering, Takapuna.

• Like 1

Looks pretty good, much better than stock!

This is what I ended up doing, was a nightmare trying to get it to fit.... 

104649306_730090000893014_5078184462076183761_n.jpg.e5a8e632ae001dcbe4f7640c0cef74dc.jpg104948683_650198512239605_1944346820910542398_n.jpg.e1f22b5af1c41d4d463b6e8b0b612096.jpg