Sign in to follow this  
smiddy

XHP V3

Just updated my 6AT to latest version 3, stage 2.

Even smoother than v2, didn't think that was possible!

Anyone else updated?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smiddy said:

Just updated my 6AT to latest version 3, stage 2.

Even smoother than v2, didn't think that was possible!

Anyone else updated?

Not yet, but the weekend is coming up.

I wish they would do a v3 for the 6hp21! Glad you’re enjoying the update! Did the v3 stage 2 get autoblips on downshifts in s mode? How’s d mode- were the shift points changed at all? 

Sorry Kyle, didn"t get that far.

Did about 30km today after update, did a few M pulls using paddles, felt even twittchy in third!

Only 3 days into FIMC upgrade, so I think car still sorting its self out, have 6 new index 12 injectors in also, they love it!

• Like 2

No I haven't yet, business finally cranked up and I have been focused on making some money. It is a must do though so will get round to it.

Help a brother out :) I opened the xHP Flashtool and it said there was an update available, so I accepted the download. Am I correct in thinking that the update will have the new settings for my existing Stage 3 trans tune ? And if so, all I have to do is connect to the car, open the app, and the trans tune will be automatically updated to the latest settings ? Is it as easy as that, or are there some other steps involved ?

Need to ask about this as the internet does not seem to have any information how or if installing the update might differ from installing a complete new tune that already incorporates the updates.

Cheers...

Yes Jon, when you connect to vehicle, your car information and product you have license for will display.

Navigate to map flash page XHP stg 3 v 3 should be there for flashing, if not you should be able to download at this stage.

I downloaded after connecting to car.

Be sure to follow instructions and be in flight mode, only takes about 3 min.

Hi folks, I have a 'lowly' N52 but it does have the 6HP box, a couple of questions for you:

Do you know where you can find the version of the software already running on your transmission? I don't have XHP (yet) but I do have a suite of BMW software. I think my trans might have a tune but would like to confirm.

And, with XHP do you get gear indicators (not shift indicators) when in normal drive? i.e. D1, D2... D6? I already get that it sport manual mode (M1, M2, M3 etc) but I'd also like it in normal drive.

Cheers.

Thanks smiddy... I'll get onto that tomorrow or Saturday and post my impressions :)

Cheers...

30 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Hi folks, I have a 'lowly' N52 but it does have the 6HP box, a couple of questions for you:

Do you know where you can find the version of the software already running on your transmission? I don't have XHP (yet) but I do have a suite of BMW software. I think my trans might have a tune but would like to confirm.

And, with XHP do you get gear indicators (not shift indicators) when in normal drive? i.e. D1, D2... D6? I already get that it sport manual mode (M1, M2, M3 etc) but I'd also like it in normal drive.

Cheers.

I dont know about the software version but can confirm on my E91 it would come up with gear number on Drive mode (D1-D6 as mentioned) as well as in sport and manual modes.

• Thanks 1

Hey M3AN, xHP Stage 3 certainly shows what gear you are in when in drive. I see that the trans spends a lot of time in 3rd and 4th around town, when before the flash it would be in 5th and 6th as soon as the load eased up. Makes it more responsive but probably doesn't help fuel economy ?

Cheers...

• Thanks 1

Bit of a hiccup with the update. Seems I managed to install Stage 3 without the app making a backup of the stock tune., and now it won't install the update. So I have to find out how to get a copy of the stock tune from xHP.

But while I was messing around I did see a post somewhere that says MHD have some updates to their tunes to better match the engine to the trans with the V3 update. So I'll be looking into that next. <=== turned out to be old facebook post from 2017 !!!

Cheers...

Edited by jon dee
Taking out some trash...
  • Like 1

This is the message I was getting... apparently the factory trans tune is supposed to be backed up automatically before you can flash an xHP tune, but somehow I missed that step when I flashed the earlier tune. Managed to create a mobile hotspot with the wife's phone and once the xHP Flashtool was able to call home it downloaded and updated and flashed the V3 Stage 3 tune successfully.

If it fines up a bit tomorrow I'll go for a drive and see if I can pick the difference.

Cheers...

390899854_xHPmessage01.thumb.jpg.30482ec5547a3b44da1922bfcc682b9b.jpg

Edited by jon dee
Pic was too big bro...

Bet that was a relief!

Nothing worse than being stranded in a cyber void.

Glad you sorted, be sure to do at least 50kms before fanging so trans can learn.

Managed to get out and have a bit of a drive just to see how the V3 tune stacks up. Got out on the motorway for a few km's and then around my usual backroads test track that is all hills, corners and short straights :)  Previous couple of weeks was just a few short trips tootling around town.

Dayyyymn Son !!!! This V3 tune is as smooth as butter around town. In normal Drive the changes are slurred to perfection and hard to detect when not pedaling hard. Even when conditions allow semi-spirited driving the changes don't happen with a bump. This is a very refined sporting trans tune and a big step up from the earlier version... I love it :thumbs-up: Plus it seems to have eliminated those little moments of indecision that the trans used to have when making up its mind which gear it wanted to be in.

Didn't spend much time in Sports or Manual modes but my initial impression is that these have also benefited from the improved shift timing. If you are running a Stage 3 tune I would definitely recommend that you try the V3 upgrade. It is so good now that I would never consider changing back to the OEM trans tune.

Cheers...

PS: Got a P114B code, same as I have had a few times before. Looks like a post cat O2 sensor problem as the little code reader I carry in the car can't bring up any voltages for one of them. I've been clearing it but it might be time to get it sorted. Any input other than buying a new sensor ?

• Like 2

Probably not the sensor. More likely running outside monitored specs, either too lean or too rich on that bank

2 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

Probably not the sensor. More likely running outside monitored specs, either too lean or too rich on that bank

Thanks... I'll see if I can get a bit more detail with the MHD app and try to make a log to see what the AFR's are doing.

Cheers...

This is what MHD is showing.  Difficult to find a definitive explanation of the exact function and importance of the post cat sensors. Nearest I can figure is that they that they might have some role in monitoring the cat performance, but more likely they check that the pre cat sensors are achieving stoich in closed loop cruise. If the latter is correct then they will be used by the ECU to offset the pre cat sensors so that the bank does achieve stoich. Just a guess of course :)

So either the fueling has drifted off target or a bad sensor / wiring / connection is causing the post cat sensor voltage to report incorrectly. A log should show what is actually happening and I will try and get one tomorrow.

Cheers...

codes 27-06-20.jpg

For unknown reasons I could not get MHD to data log today. But I looked at freeze frame readings from my el cheapo scanner and it showed STFT1 -2.3% and LTFT1 +7% compared to STFT2 -0.8% and LTFT2 +1.6%. Lambda was showing 0.998 or similar.

So I guess it is the bank 1 readings that are setting off the CEL. The car had new injectors and plugs less than 10,000km ago, and runs fine. I have noticed that the code seems to come back sooner when I let the car idle for a long time, so I'd really like to get a log to see if the AFR's on the two banks diverge at low IDC but stay nice and close at higher IDC. Need to get the MHD app sorted or find another data logging app that works.

Cheers...

Figured it out... MHD changed a bunch of stuff to do with shifting registration/buying from Google Play Store to their own servers.  At the same time there were some upgrades and new features released, so now I have a MHD V8 Stage 1 tune instead of a V7, and managed to get the monitoring and logging stuff working. One of the new options is a tune that is stated to be for "Manual (MT) or xHP flashed AT" and that is the tune I am running. Seems like they have tweaked the throttle response to be a bit more linear than the stock "comes in early" response. Feels nice anyways :)

Graphed a couple of logs and pretty easy to see why I am getting that 2C7E o2 sensor CEL. The LTFT1 sensor has flat lined :( I'll have to get under the car just in case a wire or plug came loose, and see how the logs look with a working sensor. Other stuff doesn't look too bad... rail pressure drops quite low when I'm off the gas but it gets up to good numbers when there is a bit of load on the engine. LPFP seems solid also but I'm no expert, so feel free to point out my mistakes.

Cheers...

05-07-20 log 02a.png

05-07-20 log 02b.png

• Like 1

I was never that happy with V8 maps and went to the V9 on recommendations from a few guys in the US who use it. V9 seems to offer a much smoother power delivery, its less spikey and more linear. Some Asuuies did a few tests and although its smoother it is also quicker. It sharpened up my shifts as well. 

V9 is an available option, but it is still marked as being in Beta so I just went for V8. Will need to drive it for a while to get a better idea, but my initial impression is that it is a bit more mellow than V7. I'd like to ask a few questions as to how xHP and MHD co-operate when revising tunes. When MHD say click this button for "manual or xHD flashed auto" trans I'd like to think that they had both agreed on the same settings, and not end up with one tune overriding the other.

That had me wondering because my first impression was that MHD V8 had moved towards a linear throttle. But I haven't tried the actual linear throttle option so can't compare. Anyway, I'll be out of the mechanical warranty in another month and I have an intercooler, upper and lower charge pipes, BMS air cleaners and a catch can waiting in the garage. Decided to hold off on the downpipes until I have the other bits installed so I can see (hear) what difference there is in interior sound. I like having a quiet car for a change and don't want to spoil that :)

Cheers...

Yes V9 is Beta but I have been running it for nearly 6 months and it is a better map in my opinion. What I dont know is why my shifts feel different in sport mode. (I dont have Xhp, yet) I am a stage1 + with FMIC upgrade and a catch can and charge pipe. I started on Map 6 and have gone through each iteration until I got to 9. I have also gone with linear throttle mapping which I swear by and I have limited boost in first to 10 psi and second to 14. My car now feels better than it ever has by a noticeable amount. The data says V9 is the quickest but and subjectively also the smoothest. I do need to get Xhp installed to complete the package.