Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

Shed fit outs

I just installed a bunch of Arlo Pro 3 and Ultra cameras around my place, pretty solid and clever.

Edited by Jacko

58 minutes ago, Jacko said:

I just installed a bunch of Arlo Pro 3 and Ultra cameras around my place, pretty solid and clever.

They are good.

I went with Nest as I brought in all the alarm and smart locks from the US. High def recording, facial/person recognition and all backed up to the Google Cloud is pretty hard to beat. 

One thing I didn’t like about Arlo was no mains power (I know you can buy adaptors) although means you can place them anywhere. Also I think the Nest ecosystem is more complete. 

1 minute ago, NZ BMW said:

They are good.

I went with Nest as I brought in all the alarm and smart locks from the US. High def recording, facial/person recognition and all backed up to the Google Cloud is pretty hard to beat. 

One thing I didn’t like about Arlo was no mains power (I know you can buy adaptors) although means you can place them anywhere. Also I think the Nest ecosystem is more complete. 

Yeah, there is a lot out there in the market, nearly went with a Ubiquiti setup running on its own box, but couldnt be assed running all the cat 6 around. All the ones that arent easily accessible I installed a solar panel on (which is about $100/camera). I went with Arlo as PBtech stock and support them, and I wanted them now! 

• Like 1

What epoxy/paint do people recommend for a concrete garage floor?

I want something really hard wearing.

I dont mean to hijack the thread - I just thought here was a better place to keep all the information in the same place.

I used a Resene 2 pack water based epoxy, mine had grit added to make it non slip, but I think you can get it without that, if you drop something heavy on it it will chip, but after 10 years of almost daily walking on it it hasn't started peeling or worn through yet. As with all coatings preparation is the key, I did mine onto new concrete which makes it a lot easier.

if considering a typical timber framed and truss shed you could arrange for the roof trusses to have a whole bay where there were no trusses so a hoist could push the car up into the space where trusses would normally be.You just have some biiger purlins in there to span say 3m

• Like 1

^^^ This is excellent thinking!  @Driftit this sort of stuff is @kiwi535's specialty, very much worth examining ?

Good news that the diy rules have been relaxed so you can now build a 30sqm structure on your land without consent.

I wonder if this includes garages.

1 hour ago, zero said:

Good news that the diy rules have been relaxed so you can now build a 30sqm structure on your land without consent.

I wonder if this includes garages.

No, they haven't.  They have announced they WILL be, sometime in August, and no I don't think garages are included , carports are.

I have had several phone calls from customers who saw this on the news and jumped to similar conclusions!

Damnit.

First time I've ever seen a Labour government actually reduce bureaucracy and costs instead of increase it so that was a suprise.

35 minutes ago, Harper said:

Any source on why you think this? Couldn't find anything to indicate a garage couldn't be part of the exemption. Seems like you can build any single-storey structure as long as its approved by a licensed building practitioner and under 30sqm, carports will be allowed to be up to 40sqm. Few other rules like the building can not contain sanitary facilities but can't find anything that would suggest a garage is a no go.

I could be wrong,  I wasn't looking for garages but I didn't see them listed. Anything you build will have to meet the requirements of the building code with regard to site coverage and distance to boundary etc, etc.

1 hour ago, aja540i said:

I could be wrong,  I wasn't looking for garages but I didn't see them listed. Anything you build will have to meet the requirements of the building code with regard to site coverage and distance to boundary etc, etc.

A garage is not a building meant for habitation so the standards for construction are less than a house....but of course in the future it may want to be converted to a tiny house...I think that is why there is caution with garages

So after quite some time my shed is nearing build completion.  Auckland Covid delays mean they are months behind.

Just ordering the 4 post hoist.  And I may have scored a 2 poster very cheap too.
Working out which floor coating/carpet I am going to order.
Getting a run of ply made made.
Security system is all installed.  Ubiquity gear for the entire network and security (awesome stuff).  Buy it using a US address and payment method to save hundreds over PB Tech if possible.  I think I ended up saving $700USD all up...

Then after nearly 7 years I can pull out the E34 from it's container and bring it to it's new home.  Ready for a full tear down and rebuild (it had race fuel left in it :( ).

Now off to spend way too much time figuring out the best floor coating.

• Like 2

Just cover it in used engine / gearbox oil now, saves time later, you know it’s gonna happen at some point. 😊

That’s the main reason I don’t use garage carpet - it’s a “working” garage and too much stuff would get spilt and ground into it.

Hard wearing epoxy type paint for me every time.

• Haha 1

Was just looking at http://www.swisstrax.co.nz/ from Jacko's post a while back.
But if you spill oil.  How do you clean underneath without pulling them all apart?

Edit: Looks like a good option if you had a sump.

Edited by Driftit

On 1/14/2022 at 11:46 AM, Driftit said:

So after quite some time my shed is nearing build completion.  Auckland Covid delays mean they are months behind.

Just ordering the 4 post hoist.  And I may have scored a 2 poster very cheap too.
Working out which floor coating/carpet I am going to order.
Getting a run of ply made made.
Security system is all installed.  Ubiquity gear for the entire network and security (awesome stuff).  Buy it using a US address and payment method to save hundreds over PB Tech if possible.  I think I ended up saving $700USD all up...

Then after nearly 7 years I can pull out the E34 from it's container and bring it to it's new home.  Ready for a full tear down and rebuild (it had race fuel left in it :( ).

Now off to spend way too much time figuring out the best floor coating.

What software are you using for ubiquiti cameras? I have them install at a site and running the ubiqiuti unifi video on an existing server. However ubiquiti has dropped support for the software, which is also now vulnerable to the log4j exploit. The software always had a few quirks and now that they have dropped it they will never get fixed.m. Kinda forcing you to upgrade to one of their stand alone NVR's or a new camera system. 

I used to like ubiquiti and think it was good gear, but them dropping support for gear thats not really that old is starting to become too often.

21 hours ago, polley said:

What software are you using for ubiquiti cameras? I have them install at a site and running the ubiqiuti unifi video on an existing server. However ubiquiti has dropped support for the software, which is also now vulnerable to the log4j exploit. The software always had a few quirks and now that they have dropped it they will never get fixed.m. Kinda forcing you to upgrade to one of their stand alone NVR's or a new camera system. 

I used to like ubiquiti and think it was good gear, but them dropping support for gear thats not really that old is starting to become too often.

Ah, I am using a nvr cloud key v2+ which gives me Unifi Protect. They are a great little device. But yeah I can see how having to buy one when you didn't need it would be a pain in the ass.