Sign in to follow this  
MISS BM

X5 Tow Hack

6 hours ago, MISS BM said:

Are you able to grab a picture if at all possible?
I'm talking dirtbike rack vs bike rack... You wouldn't happen to know downforce weight either by any chance of it?

Vertical load on the one that's on there atm is 75kg.

IMG_3065.jpeg

Edited by balancerider

11 hours ago, NZ BMW said:

Yeah, it's the rest of the car (interior etc) that always worries me. 

I am somewhat more interested in this thread because I am dipping my toe in the market for a SUV again - I can wait though... I am interested to see what prices do. 

That would be my advice - if you don't need to make a decision right now, wait. I bet prices (especially on E70's) will come back a bit more. 

Yeah, they seem to have come back a fair amount, and I think possibly even further with the developments of COVID...

9 hours ago, E30 325i Rag-Top said:

The tongue load isn’t that great on the factory swing away due to the design unfortunately.

I'm screaming 'sh*t' to myself. How can you load up a 3.5T rating with such a crappy tongue weight?

9 hours ago, m325i said:

This is third party Autosure - all diesels are 10km

Ahh yes, good old Autosure

5 hours ago, balancerider said:

Vertical load on the one that's on there atm is 75kg.

IMG_3065.jpeg

That's really piss poor for something meant to tow 3.5T.....

3 hours ago, Michael. said:

A tow hack? My goodness Amber. What are you planning on towing! 

I'm towing the float for the ponies and on race weekends the racebikes! haha

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

https://www.trademe.co.nz/257913364

Cures that ///M itch for ya

A Canon?? haha Well, that's what's loading when I copy and paste link. 

No X5 ///M with new timing chains. 

1088085959_Screenshot_20200514-090927_TradeMe.thumb.jpg.1c2bac00fd1f261d465c78cc85ff9a1e.jpg

If you click on the link it goes to the X5....if you copy and paste the add number it goes to a canon camera ?

4 hours ago, Gaz said:

No X5 ///M with new timing chains. 

1088085959_Screenshot_20200514-090927_TradeMe.thumb.jpg.1c2bac00fd1f261d465c78cc85ff9a1e.jpg

Yeah how weird.. clicked on link and went to that, copy and paste and off ya go to a camera haha. 

Not after petrol :(

4 hours ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

If you click on the link it goes to the X5....if you copy and paste the add number it goes to a canon camera ?

Weird eh...

i would think that the towbars themselvesare capable of substantial loads its just the swing type and or "click in types arent.....is that what that adapter does "locks" the swing mechanism??

Edited by kiwi535

7 minutes ago, kiwi535 said:

i would think that the towbars themselvesare capable of substantial loads its just the swing type and or "click in types arent.....is that what that adapter does "locks" the swing mechanism??

No that goes under the ball to act as the flat surface of the “tongue” for bike carriers and the likes.

also if I am not mistaken the towbar rating is from the bar itself?? I am no expert on this at all so don’t quote me!! As the detachable part seems to be the same for all westfalia bars but the bar itself has different ratings?? Someone that knows better please enlighten!

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Just picking up on this thread as I am now sorting out a towbar for my E70X5. I have the Westphalia type detachable setup but I would prefer the removable tongue system for my bike carrier. That said I am also looking at roof racks. I do have option 233 increased towing and self leveling suspension so that seems good. Just a few questions. Any recomendations for where to buy a towbar setup? Where do I get one of those clamp on things to get a flat surface under BMW tow ball? What does option 233 actually  give me?

Edited by Herbmiester
  • Like 1

The latest tow hook design has a detachable ball head with flat plinth below to suit bike rack and can swap from 1'7/8" to 50mm as needed. This clips into the Westfalia detachable-type attachment. I assume it would be compatible with E series as well, the old swan neck type worked on both an E61 and my F31. I would give Fabian at Coombes Johnston Hamilton a call and see if this will work with your current towbar setup.

• Like 1