Sign in to follow this  
hunter

E39 Multi function wheel help

I have a "standard" steering wheel in my e39(2 stage airbag), am going to swap in a 3 spoke M Sport wheel with multifunction.

my build sheet says the car was prepped for multifunction, however, as a test to check this, i released the air bag (not fully removing) and plugged the MF panel in, no fuctions are working.

Have i missed anything obvious here? I beleive  the slip ring should be compatable from factory but only work if the wiring is benhind it... or Im guessing my build sheet is wrong?!

edit; next steps is to try and source the retro fit wiring kit or enlist some help in making one based on the BMW diagrams, i'm an eletrical luddite :)

Edited by hunter

Might be a coding thing, I'm not sure but you may have to activate the option.

47 minutes ago, aja540i said:

Might be a coding thing, I'm not sure but you may have to activate the option.

My understanding is that no coding is needed, based on the attached. As even if adding wiring, no coding. So I think it's actually missing the wiring. Hmmm

Cruise & MFSW retrofit.pdf

Edited by hunter

What did you plug the MF unit into ?

Into the clock spring behind the airbag. There is a female port for it. Same as other clock springs. Has 3 ports. Left is blank, middle is airbag right is mf

4 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

What is your build date, and which of the M-sport wheels are you trying to fit? Also is the new steering wheel known to be working.

My car is a 2001 build date, both new and old wheels have dual stage airbags

New wheel is from a 2002 m3 as attached. 

It was working when removed from the car. 

I suspect lack of wiring but will do some further testing, if the pins are working in the slip ring, I should be able to get a multimeter reading off it. 

20200315_161741.jpg

Just try not to spit the dummy on this job...

Does the car not currently have a multifunction steering wheel installed? I have

"S710 M Sports steering wheel, multifunction"
  off your build sheet in front of me. Pass me that dummy, Stu...

Hi Colin, no it doesnt mate, it's odd that it on build sheet but not in the car, hence my thinking it already wired.....i have the build sheet also

another thing on the build sheet that isnt what i have currently  is the wheels, the BS says 0788 LA wheel, but the car has the factory option Style 42's that i am told have been on the car since new, and it says provisions for CD changer but this is actually fully installed

i'll check fuses today and also try to source another mf panel for testing

@hqstu what is this dummy you speak of :P

Edited by hunter

I would check wiring to the dme and usual wire into the light switch, i dont believe they are plug and plug, i am looking at doing the same for my e46 and even though they are wired it does still look like you need to do a little bit of wiring to get it all to work.

Yup, my e46 was the same when I did mf on that too mate. 

this week i removed the lower part of the steering column cover, there is only 6 wires into the Green plug on the slip ring. if the MF wiring is installed there would be 9, so that all good.

to prepare for this i have now ordered the e46 MF retro fit loom, its the same as the e39 one aside from the colors of 2 of the wires. and is available, unlike the "official" e39 one.

ive also used this thread to ordrr bit for the loom that needs to be made for the paddles

https://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=895897&amp=1