Sign in to follow this  
thorns

F10 M5 values

So am currently contemplating the silly thing of buying a F10 M5 because after all who doesn't need a car that can transport the family in comfort while also being a muscle car?

Curious as to where there values end up?    Seems at present they are 40-80k depending on year and condition.   Seems the E60 M5's have stayed pretty constant at the mid 20's mark for a tidy one (seems to be pretty steady from when I bought a E60 550i 4 years back), do these F10's drop down to those values in the next few years, or are they likely to always be priced slightly above due the lack of issues compared to the E60?  

Also wondering how much of a premium the NZ New models that are BMW approved may hold over the import ones, would it be worth spending larger into the later 16/17 models that are NZ New, and also coming BMW approved with 2 yr servicing/warranty? A couple on trademe at 80k that fit that criteria, my man maths suggests they may be worth 50-55k in 2 years time at the end of the warranty period?  This is based off the current 2014 models on there for sale.

Either way I know this is not a smart decision financially, but I like to roll the dice from time to time.    

• Like 1

Assuming they end up being say 45-50k in 2 years, would you say you would have had 30k worth of fun in the 2 years you have owned one? and also servicing costs would be right up there with a new car as it is an M. 

purchasing an M is never a logical decision so go with your gut. 

Turbo v8 seems to be less special than V10 so can be construed either way. 

Getting the BMW warranty is certainly nice. It's worth a premium if you're getting that, since servicing and repair costs can be very expensive on these. 

But once that has expired, then there is nothing different about them :)

Be aware that with a BMW warranty, any tinkering with the software is frowned upon. Any discussions about that with my M4 were shot down pretty hard lol. 

Thats the man math juggling I am going through at the moment. Pay the premium for the included BMW servicing/warranty plan and for two years, best case scenario I'm paying for fuel and a set of rear tyres, worst case a clutch/brakes which I would hope would be picked up in there certified/approved inspection process

Or pay 10-15k less, then buy a aftermarket warranty (if they exist for an M5?), but still have to pay servicing and any warranty excesses and costs on top.

No interest in modding the car, I figure 560hp should be enough.  Its part of the attraction, its bonkers as they are delivered on the showroom floor.

The dealer did tell me they can sell me an aftermarket warranty when the BMW one expires, which would be provided  by Autosure. If they do M4s, I'm sure they do M5s.

Autosure are awesome, saved me thousands on my 335i. Modifications are negotiable too but your excess might be higher depending on what you modify. 

• Like 1

Good to know about the possibility of aftermarket warranty, what kind of limit do they put on the claims and any idea on the cost for a 3-4 year one?

Standard one for 3 years is $1895. Being an M car they will be in a different category with a higher excess and maximum per claim limit 

I haven't looked into that for the current car.

But with my 335i when I bought it 5 years ago, there were two tiers.
One with exclusions for suspension, brakes and a limit of 5k per claim, and a more expensive tier where some consumable stuff was included and no maximum per claim (or was it 10k? So long ago).
That was a Jap import, not via BMW. 

Looks like they've got the policy documents here:
https://www.autosure.co.nz/products/mechanical-breakdown-insurance/

Not sure if there will be any special changes when arranged via BMW, or different terms for more unique cars like the M series. 

Would have loved a facelift one but went NZ New on a 2012, not regretted it, fantastic vehicle. Purchased from BMW with an Autosure warranty, buying NZ New with history seemed the best option.
Keeping away from playing with it, 550 hp no need, never ever short of power, like ever. Wouldn’t want to seriously break it and have avoid warranty ?

• Like 2

They will definitely keep depreciating, probably to similar levels to E60s over the next few years as they become older and the F90 becomes a common used car. reliability on them is getting questionable particularly on early cars, I have seen quite a few major engine failures this far.

Having said that, like anything as long as it has very good service history with only the correct oils used and you get a warranty (preferably BMW Premium Selection as your $10k Autosure claims limit won’t go far towards an engine rebuild) you should be good to go!

• Like 2

A warranty on an M5 will be around $4k+ for 2 years. 

You are literally gambling.  You could go with and older car and a warranty and then have no issues like I did, effectively paying 4 grand for nothing.  Or you could have heaps of moderate issues and you get a decent return on your warranty investment.  Or you could have a major issue which costs 20k to fix at which point your warrant only covers half of that.

In my opinion the cards are firmly stacked in the insurers favour when it comes to M or other "exotic" cars.  Better off stashing the money in the bank.

The $1800 4 year warranty on our 535i is much better value IMO.

Personally I would fish for the best $40-50k example and fix anything that breaks along the way.

• Like 2

Autosure warranty for 3years was $4995 and the excess was $1000. I decided to bank it and spend the money on servicing. So far the only non- scheduled maintenance was coolant line leak which was fixed for $700. 

Brakes/tyres/fuel/5w-40 oil will be major items. Rest of car is solidly built. M cars burn a bit of oil and mine goes through a litre every 3500-4000kms. Less if spanked. ?

I coded out the active sound. Made long distance driving more comfortable as the car is very quiet now with no fake noises. 

Has anyone had to do any of the main consumables on the M5 during your ownership?

Trying to price up worst case scenarios to check i am happy proceeding with potential worst case.

I figure brakes and clutch are probably the main ones to be concerned with, but finding it hard to get NZ pricing on these.  Tyres are easy enough to work out, and don't care about the fuel use side as it wont be a daily driver.   Rough estimates seem rotors and pads all round could be around 5k, and clutch I can only find US examples where is $7-8k although dont seem to be a common thing as pretty solid on a unmodified example, although any idea what might be more realistic clutch cost in NZ?   

Anything else on the consumables I should be considering for my worst case scenarios that I am overlooking apart from oil top ups?  Warrantys seem to cover suspension these days so that's one less thing to worry about.

Brakes ect can always be imported. FCPEuro, Schneidman (may have spelt that incorrectly) ect. 

The local suppliers tend to have a huge mark-up on this stuff, it's worth importing it yourself unless you think of $100 bills like toilet paper :)

Edited by Matth5

I don't think there'll be many replacing clutches on these at stock power levels, they do last a long time being a wet clutch system.

Perhaps contact Dodson for a quote? Pretty sure they do them

Anyone know how you would go about buying an Autosure warranty for an M5 if I was to buy the car privately?  

E60/61 M5 clutch and flywheel done by BMW was $5k. 

I'd be very cautious buying any car that has a S63, the pistons are common to explode and now hearing that the rod bearings are becoming another maintenance item, if you had the deep pockets i'd go ahead but if you were to have mechanical insurance make sure there isn't a cap on how much you can spend. A rebuild of the bottom end cost 30k+ from memory.

16 hours ago, HypedKidz said:

I'd be very cautious buying any car that has a S63, the pistons are common to explode and now hearing that the rod bearings are becoming another maintenance item, if you had the deep pockets i'd go ahead but if you were to have mechanical insurance make sure there isn't a cap on how much you can spend. A rebuild of the bottom end cost 30k+ from memory.

Every M car post 2003 then ☝️

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HypedKidz said:

Exploding pistons as a result of shitty aftermarket tuning?

• Like 1