Sign in to follow this  
rkl

Connecteddrive on import (f11)

Have read a little about connected drive. 

Have got a imported f11 that has this service that obviously is not working in New Zealand.

Does anyone know if we can get any of its features enabled here? Namely the app to send navigation to the car, and to remote lock. 

I'm assuming I'll have to do this via the dealership? Or can it be coded?

My understanding is that they use e-SIM so I can't just but a local sim card in. But not sure about this 

Yes this is possible. There is a form to complete and email to BMW NZ (attached below). The functionality on pre-idrive 5 (~2017) vehicles is pretty disappointing so don't go in with high expectations, the integration with phone app is much better on newer cars

change-owner-form.pdf

great ill try that, When i spoke to Auckland City BMW they gave me a firm no it cannot be done. 
Ended up just setting up a profile on the overseas connected drive site, and it works fine.

BMW AG stopped all Connected Drive conversions for a while, unsure if they have started doing it again

Have you tried downloading the new version (released end March 21) of the My BMW app? When you add a vehicle to your account you can change the country settings I believe. 

• Like 1

I am importing a X7 and currently have registered via bmw uk site and downloaded the mybmw app and added the vin and can connect to the car (in uk right now). I am assuming I need to update the nav maps and then the mybmw app should work. The car comes with a three subscription of connected drive professional package. I have not seen the change country option in mybmw app.

Also keen to find out whether I can do a map update myself by getting a fsc code + map file ?

Yes should be possible to get map and FSC code - sourcing NZ maps for latest BMW operating system may be a bit of a challenge so if you're looking to keep the car for a while, getting BMW to do the initial swap / change the VO should mean you can download them online in future.

On 7/8/2020 at 10:36 AM, rkl said:

great ill try that, When i spoke to Auckland City BMW they gave me a firm no it cannot be done. 
Ended up just setting up a profile on the overseas connected drive site, and it works fine.

same, i believe they just simply don't want to help because the vehicle is not NZ new. they dont care.

actually i emailed BMW support and was advised that local dealer can simply help doing the region transfer and i should be be able to add my car after that, however...... 

not a good service as expected under such a big brand.

13 minutes ago, davenz said:

same, i believe they just simply don't want to help because the vehicle is not NZ new. they dont care.

actually i emailed BMW support and was advised that local dealer can simply help doing the region transfer and i should be be able to add my car after that, however...... 

not a good service as expected under such a big brand.

After buying my imported car 6 months ago I enquired at my local BMW dealer and they flatly denied it could be done. It didn't make a lot of sense to me  and I haven't spent any money with them since.

hi guys, try register your BMW ID at connected drive web portal the country where your cars imported from, not under NZ web portal.

for example, if you car is from AU then register ID at www.bmw-connecteddrive.com.au, NOT www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.nz

works for me as im able to add vehicle to my account now.

8 minutes ago, davenz said:

hi guys, try register your BMW ID at connected drive web portal the country where your cars imported from, not under NZ web portal.

for example, if you car is from AU then register ID at www.bmw-connecteddrive.com.au, NOT www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.nz

works for me as im able to add vehicle to my account now.

Hey Dave, I did that actually. Add vehicle to what account? Account in the BMW NZ app?

Thanks

J

ignore the connected drive NZ web portal. -www.bmw-connecteddrive.co.nz

go to web portal where your car originally registered, if in AU then go to ---www.bmw-connecteddrive.com.au 

click register

you will have to use another email address to register, do not use the same one you created under NZ web portal.

activate your account through the email BMW send to you

then you are good to add your car by entering 17 digits VIN number

hope this help

51 minutes ago, davenz said:

activate your account through the email BMW send to you

Hi Dave

Many thanks! Just to be clear the email you refer to is an email from the NZ connected registration?

J

No need to worry. I was bounced between the .sg site and the .nz site to be asked for the VIN. Progress! Unfort I get a message that BMW connected customer services need to activate the mobile connection.

One step forward, 1 step back 😂

just forget NZ web portal and the email address you already created under NZ.

image you are in the country where your car originally from and go to their web portal, restart the register process.

Hi All

I am updating my experience fir the imported BMW X7 from UK. I got the dealer in UK to register the car under mybmw app using the account I created with BMW on their uk website. I then on my iPhone connected to the uk Apple store (plenty of info on web on how to do this , I used a VPN client) and downloaded mybmw app and signed in. I could access the car and do remote functions such as the 3D view which was handy as I could see the car inside the ship whilst it was in UK. So the car finally arrived at Auckland port and when the ignition is turned on it pings its location to BMW cloud and I could see in the mybnw app, however I could not get the 3D photos to work as it would timeout. So I tried the unloading function (knowing car was already unlocked as the location info sent by the car includes info on whether car is locked or not etc) and then that function also did not work and gave me possible reasons as to why and one of them was the battery nay not be charged enough which kind of made sense. Over the two days the car was at the port it must have been turned on few times as mybnw app always reports the last location update based on when the car was turned on.. and then all of sudden the 3D feature started working and the picture showed the car on a trailer going to the compliance location. So it all works . I will get the maps updated via BMW new market as they quoted me the cheapest price although I woulda always  use Apple car play with google maps.

so hope that helps the community and anyone looking to import a bmw from uk.

Well, I had the same issue of X5 imported from Japan. The connected drive system didnt work in NZ (New Zealand). When you try to download then register in My BMW app and after you insert your VIN number, the operation fails with an error saying that moving car country is not possible.

I have resolved this issue, inspired by what some people said here, however, things are bit more tricky now, since BMW changed their system and changed the URLs for pages. and now once you try to register, they detect your country from your IP address. So, there's no basic way for you to go to BMW web-site in Japan and try to register there (they will at some point redirect you to NZ portal [which can be seen in the URL "Country=nz"]). 

So, I used a VPN to change my IP address to one in Japan, then I registered in BMW web-site (which is by default will be the Japan one), and used a new Email. 

Then everything will work, you will register in JP BMW web-site, then you go to "My vehicles" section and click on "add vehicle" (of course everything in Japanese). Then you add the VIN, and they will send a code to the car. You go the car then, open "Connected Drive" -> Messages. and get the code from a message they send to you (in my case it needed 3 minutes to arrive after turning on the car and waiting on "Messages" page. Get the code and put in it. Then Done.

After that download My BMW app from scratch (remove it, if you had one before), and login using the email/pass you used to signup. Done 
Working 100%

Sigh good to see it working for others now too.

Recently mine stopped working and says I need to purchase a subscription. Cant send destinations to the car anymore, no GPS tracking and no other remote services. 
I have read that overseas BMW are disconneting the old 3g cars (like mine) so may have impacted locally too.