Sign in to follow this  
gjm

POR15

Anyone got a great deal on POR15 (or a similar product)?

Got some work ahead of me...

Been looking at this a while ago. At the time (last year) the importer/distributor had seized bringing the product in.

Ended up buying Bill Hirsch's Miracle Paint. Excellent stuff. You can buy it at http://autops.co.nz/en/ in Onehunga. Call first to see if it is in stock. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, C-130 Hercules said:

Been looking at this a while ago. At the time (last year) the importer/distributor had seized bringing the product in.

Ended up buying Bill Hirsch's Miracle Paint. Excellent stuff. You can buy it at http://autops.co.nz/en/ in Onehunga. Call first to see if it is in stock. 

Auto PS don't list it on their website (but that needn't mean anything.)

PPC do list it - https://www.permanentpaintedcoatings.co.nz/shop/product/240865/Bill-Hirsch-Miracle-Paint-Rust-Killer/

Supposed to be good stuff - I've not used it. I'll find a way to acquire some and give it a go.

I've been doing the rust converter, prime, paint route.  I've heard/read that Brunox is the absolute dog's bollocks of rust converter. I'll try that next time I run out of CRC Rust Treatment, or run out of patience.   I've had no issues with the Rustoleum all-in-one paint that's been on my parts for more than a year.  

Barry's been using Hammerite for years.  I think it's similar to the POR15 - moisture-cures, and essentially uncleanable brushes.  Seemed very good when I used it last week, though no long-term exposure.

Are you doing patches, or large panel areas (like floors), @gjm Graham?

2 hours ago, Olaf said:

I've been doing the rust converter, prime, paint route.  I've heard/read that Brunox is the absolute dog's bollocks of rust converter. I'll try that next time I run out of CRC Rust Treatment, or run out of patience.   I've had no issues with the Rustoleum all-in-one paint that's been on my parts for more than a year.  

Barry's been using Hammerite for years.  I think it's similar to the POR15 - moisture-cures, and essentially uncleanable brushes.  Seemed very good when I used it last week, though no long-term exposure.

Are you doing patches, or large panel areas (like floors), @gjm Graham?

Hammerite cleans beautifully... So long as you use Hammerite-specific thinners.

Likely to be patches. I hope it's only patches... It's preventative work to stop or at least slow rust ahead of getting paint sorted properly. 

Bilt Hamber is incredible stuff. Hammerite I’ve only used on ships, but with great results.

Edited by leichtbau
  • Thanks 1

Does anyone distribute Bilt Hambler here?  I've read a few very positive raves about it on fora such as retrorides.

56 minutes ago, gjm said:

Hammerite cleans beautifully... So long as you use Hammerite-specific thinners.

Likely to be patches. I hope it's only patches... It's preventative work to stop or at least slow rust ahead of getting paint sorted properly. 

Yeah with the cost of Hammerite-specific thinners, cheap brushes (disposable) are the way to go.  

I've used the White Knight products in Australia close to the coast.  Metal door frames that I sanded back, bare-metalled around rust, rust-converted, zinc primed, two topcoats, has held up for more than six years still looking smooth and glossy.  Don't write it off as it's australian and from Bunnings.

May the gods be with you and it's just patches, mate!

9 hours ago, gjm said:

Auto PS don't list it on their website (but that needn't mean anything.)

Yes, it is a bit of a traditional shop. Probably not the strongest online presence. You might want to ring them. I bought it off them a couple times as well as a very good metal primer called Metal Ready - but that is if you go bare metal respray. 

Reviving this thread as supply for my preferred POR15 replacement product 'Bill Hirsch's Miracle Paint' has dried up. 

What are people using similar to these products? 

On 5/13/2022 at 10:15 AM, C-130 Hercules said:

Reviving this thread as supply for my preferred POR15 replacement product 'Bill Hirsch's Miracle Paint' has dried up. 

What are people using similar to these products? 

Hammerite.  My Daihatsu Rocky was quite bad.  I painted pretty much the entire floor of the vehicle with it.

It's since seen much off roading, beaches, and submersion in rivers with no further rust or issues.  Got it from Mitre 10 when I had no other options.
Used a brush to paint it on.  Went in quite thick and there are minimal brush marks.

• Like 1

Purchased a small pot of POR15 last month from Trade Me - was expensive ($20 or so for 4oz I think) but only needed a little so didn't mind - certainly dries rock hard!

• Like 1