Sign in to follow this  
Karun

Custom Weighted Shiftknobs

Hey guys, first real post here so bear with me if its in the wrong place. 

I'm currently doing my masters at Massey in Industrial design and so have access to some really cool machinery at the moment. I recently did a z3 Short shifter install on my e28 and so decided to design and manufacture my own weighted shift knob to go with it. It turned out really well and will probably be better the second time around now, so i thought i'd gauge interest if i were to extend it out to people on here.  

What it is:

Currently I have 3 designs which are all the stock height of the e28/e30 shifter. They have 4 removable brass inserts that weigh about 150 grams total (same weight as total zhp knob) so with the weight of the plastic should come to about at least the same weight as the condor speed shop knob at 180 grams. The prototype was printed on a high detail uv cured resin 3D printer and so ends up with an excellent surface finish as well as a very strong dense print but ends up being more costly than regular filament 3d printing. Can also be printed in a high strength resin at additional cost (Prints dark grey/black). I can also do standard filament prints but wouldn't recommend it other than for prototypes. 953643347_shiftersideprofile.thumb.jpg.8d9ca36c24e0962ffe647edc1faef897.jpg1606199974_ShiftKnob3.thumb.png.ab8d291c31c4a60fa2147b651c99d59a.png

Finishing:

The standard resin prints white and the high strength ends up being a dark grey. My intent is to paint mine as i have some experience with automotive paint and airbrushing. So I can offer this too if people don't want to do it themselves or want something different colour/ pattern wise. 

Custom designs:

I would be willing to work on CAD files at request so if you have something particular you want, we can talk about it. Can offer just the files, 3d printed components or finished and painted pieces. Would also consider working on other parts.

Pricing:

I'm just doing this as a fun side project so it will be cost of materials + time. Im not a company so ill try my best with quality, but you get what you get I guess. The prototype cost me $60 in materials (expensive print based on volume, I leant on the thick side so it didn't break but might be able to cut that down a little)

Pm me for any more info or questions. I'll post more pictures once i get to paint. Just trying it out to dial in feel at the moment. I'll probably only be able to get away with a few of these before someone catches on so limited numbers, preferably towards something cool. 

Shift Knob 2.jpg

Shift Knob 5.jpg

Shift knob top.jpg

Shift Knob 7.png

Shift Knob 6.jpg

Shift Knob 8.jpg

DSC04100.jpg

Shift Knob 4.png

IMG_20200702_155112_1.jpg

• Like 2

Also looking into machining out of aluminium or delrin soon. 

• Like 1

Cool project, @Karun!  Saw your e28 parked up near the Massey workshop recently ?

Watching with interest.  Machining from Delrin should be very interesting.  You'd still be adding the slugs for weight?

OOh ya? Awesome we should get together again sometime. Hows the e30? Ya it would be but you have to buy it in larger amounts so wouldn't be worth experimenting with if it's just one. I could just throw it in a mill and add the weights ya. Might consider doing one large weight for that and then centering it on the lathe instead. 

• Like 1

I'll give you a shout next coffee meet or cruise.  It's Club Pub Night tonight, though I'm not there this time.  First Thursday of every month in J'ville, all welcome.  Be good to see you.

• Like 1