hqstu

e38/39 Central DHB

Today's update,

Started off with a mate dropping by in his M5.  Three things to sort; Airbag light on, fault was in drivers side airbag, disconnected and cleaned contacts, reset the fault and the light goes out... sorted... hopefully... Next up the HVAC control panel was rather secondhand with missing buttons etc... Fitted a replacement I had and all good...  Then upgraded the cabin air filter boxes and tubes to the later type as the rubber securing straps had perished.

Then spent the afternoon sanding back the filler in the style 66's.  Then applied a layer of etch primer as plenty of alloy had been exposed.  They are looking good.  A coat of primer, and light sand back then colour (Reflexsilver metallic) and clear they should be back to as new.  Also sanded and primed the left wing mirror cover as that was looking rather sad.  The aftermarket towbar came off and boot floor holes bogged up.  I have the proper fitting BMW type bar to go on when I address the rear bumper.

Engine wise I've fitted @adro's spare MAF (cheers) and engine is now running smooth and as it should... just waiting on the arrival of coolant hoses etc before getting into that and gaskets etc...

20201114_175551.jpg

20201114_165142.jpg

20201114_175601.jpg

20201114_182511.jpg

• Like 7

Out of interest, what is the colour repair system you’ve used on the leather? I have a bit of wear on my steering wheel which I think is from someone’s hand creams.... ?

I’m wondering if I can touch it up and how durable it would be. Otherwise I might get Fibrenew to have a look at it. 

The topcoat I applied to the wheels had wrinkled up for some reason, so spent another day sanding and priming... Haven't tried again yet...

I got stuck into oil and coolant leaks last Sunday and have completed the redundant trans oil cooler and associated coolant pipes removal, as well as plugged the back of the alternator to cure that coolant leak.  Also put in a new radiator and replaced the vanos solenoid oil gaskets.  I think these along with the rear main seal were the source of the oil leaks.  Also changed a power steer hose from reservoir to cooler, the other reservoir pipe is on the way so will change that when it arrives.

Needless to say a lot of cleaning along the way....

M5 mirrors have been painted (I broke the $$glass trying to incorrectly get it out, but insurance has saved the day...), but in meantime have painted the existing LH mirror cover.

I haven't changed the coolant yet as I have yet to crack open the block drains, but will have another go when new plugs and crush washers arrive...

But on a 30 minute drive, happy to report no leaks of any sort and cooling system up to pressure and all good.

Next up the coolant, as well as oil, oil filter, air filter change.

20201118_191810.jpg

20201118_192126.jpg

20201122_163352.jpg

20201122_173848.jpg

20201118_192059.jpg

20201118_192112.jpg

• Like 3

Oil and filter change using 5w30 synthetic.  These M62's take around 7.5 litres which is more than the S62 in the M5.  Also the engine mounts have been changed as with oil everywhere, oil and engine mounts are not good friends...

I haven't managed to find a lower engine cover yet, but in trial fitting a 530 sport one, with a little customising it can be adapted fairly easily.

20201127_202615.jpg

• Like 2

Bloody awesome work

• Thanks 1

Today's update,

Well there's two things I'm not going to attempt myself after the last few days efforts... One is painting the wheels, I'm bowing to the experts and have taken the wheels in to be top and clear coated.  They have the (good) equipment and the skill, which I haven't...  Another is pixel repair... just about stuffed my fuel gauge trying to get the needle off (with all the right tools etc), but managed to safely exit that attempt and put some chrome rings on the gauges on the way out...

A new 90 degree thermostat is fitted (as opposed to 105 std) and system drained and filled with BMW coolant (car is running 5 to 10 degrees cooler in general).  Also all the rubber grommets under the valve cover fasteners have been replaced as they were leaking.  Not without it's drama as well, broke a stud, and had to remove valve cover to extract remains.  Managed to fashion up a replacement and saved the day... a fair bit of oil was in the driver side spark plug wells (from the hardened grommets) - compressed air , degreaser and rags got rid of that.  All the spark plugs were checked and cleaned, the valve cover gaskets themselves were good as obviously recent, so it was all buttoned up OK.  The drivers side valve cover is a bit poorly with a missing mount for top cover, so on the hunt for another...

So on to it's first real drive, went very well, car has a bit of poke for sure... broke an exhaust mount at some point so bodged up a temp fix and will have to order another one... no leaks :)

The transmission may need a tweak as it can have a bit of a jolt downshifting 5-4 off throttle, but shop said to drive it for a while first before they look to do something.

All together a good few days, although it has put me to the test,  finished it off with a new handle on the centre console and a red wine...

20201204_093441.jpg

20201204_135455.jpg

20201204_160144.jpg

20201205_174653.jpg

20201205_174703.jpg

Edited by hqstu
  • Like 5

Chrome rings look great Stu.

Who is painting your wheels?

2 hours ago, hunter said:

Who is painting your wheels?

I'm getting King St Autobodies next to Greg Hantz to do them.  Should be ready by end of week they reckon.

But today I did decide to give my painting skills another attempt.  I've got a blue wideplate boot lid to go on, so today I stripped its gear out and prepped and painted it a coat or three of Titan Silver plus Clear coats on the underside.  Happy to report the result is good so may even attempt the topside, although it may not quite match once on the car.  That's where the experts with their blending etc come in..

Also changed the diff oil yesterday..

I also discovered that fix up the cooling system and cure a couple of leaks only puts pressure elsewhere and bugga it the heater valve is dripping... and so it continues.

20201206_141836.jpg

20201206_141840.jpg

20201206_141901.jpg

• Like 3

Here's a great video on pixel repair - skip to 9:31

using a different method - no need to remove the needles, but you need to drill out a few rivets/screws I think....

Saw your thread about heater valve, mine has also just started to leak, where did your source the rebuild kit from?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, necsis said:

where did your source the rebuild kit from

Hi Rob.. From the Russian Federation off ebay and another from Latvia.... delivery between Jan 5th and April 11th LOL.  Although Latvia one may be here sooner.

I'm getting a used one off Kerry tomorrow, at some stage in the future I'll have a spare refurbished one.

Yes I'm aware of the drilling method so may try that if I build up the courage again.  Apparently melt the white frame with a soldering iron in the right spots first, then drill through to the screw head underneath.  I thought I'd got there when I finally got the back off (around the connectors) but was stopped by the tight AF needles...

• Thanks 1

Well this weekends idiocy saw me careful dismantle the gauge cluster again, even using the melt and drill method instead of removing needles that would just not budge, carefully clean the contacts, install a new LCD screen, reassembled again and tested to find the same dull screen on the right side... experience is hard fought and of course the problem was two blown backlighting bulbs... A rookie mistake and I feel an absolute twat... anyhow, it all ended well and the dash is now all good, except for one pesky column of pixels that is hardly noticeable... one can say I'm a bit more savy with clusters now...

I also installed a replacement heater valve and all good, splicing in another connector as mine had broken.  A bit of cleaning in behind the oil filter housing is bring the engine bay up pretty good now...

A bit of a drive in the arvo, followed up by sanding down a spare rear bumper I acquired today, to replace the one on the car.

My spare parcel tray is in getting retrimmed and I fitted another motor to my spare blind, ready for the changeover.

This week I hope to get my painted up 66's back and get them fitted up.

Pleased to say the 540 is now at "operational" status now :)

20201212_172536.jpg

20201212_173744.jpg

20201213_120125.jpg

20201213_131539.jpg

20201213_131548.jpg

20201213_143740.jpg

• Like 8

Haha well at least you wont ever forget the check the bulbs again.

• Like 1

Last update of this year I'm picking.  Not too much to report.  The wheels have arrived back from painters looking good... they will go on in the new year, along with the new Dunlops.  I've started work on the spare bumpers, gunna have a crack at painting those myself although expectations are not high... The dash is all good, even the single line of missing pixels seems to have sorted itself out.  I had my spare parcel shelf retrimmed with suitable material.  It now looks a lot better than the old fading and lifting one.  Thought I had an issue with my spare electric blind, but it's all working good.  And just today I took care of an annoying feature the Japan market has, I do not need to be told that I have selected reverse, one plug removed and the gong is gone.

Merry Christmas All...

20201215_185344.jpg

20201221_171631.jpg

20201222_204159.jpg

20201223_182225.jpg

20201219_191909.jpg

20201221_165321.jpg

Edited by hqstu
More photos
  • Like 8

Nice “de-bing- bing” mod lol. Might do that for mine. 
car is looking super good Stu. You heading to caffeine and gasoline Sunday? 

• Like 1

Looking great!

Sorting out the parcel shelf is next on my list 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hunter said:

You heading to caffeine and gasoline Sunday?

Yup that's the plan...

• Like 1

A bit on cosmetics today, more mirror covers, door handles, and right sill.  More sanding and filling on spare bumpers as well.

Took the car to Auckland yesterday to have @BreakMyWindow run his DIS diagnostics over the engine and vanos.  All is well.  There is a little "miss" at cruising speed and Martin reckons it's the torque convertor dropping slightly out of lockup and picking up again.  That with the 5-4 jolty downshift is a warranty issue so in time I'll be having a chat to my transmission shop, but getting more km under it first.

20201228_152023.jpg

20201228_152042.jpg

20201228_173749.jpg

20201228_173759.jpg

• Like 4

Happy New Year All,

Just a few minor bits of progress over the last month or so, mainly to do with fitting previously acquired parts to the car.

Fitted up have been the pre-facelift new grilles and foglights, and to complete the transition back to PFL, I've painted my bordmonitor surround silver and fitted that back in the car.  

The refurbished wheels and new tyres have also gone on - all in time for the recent show at Hampton Downs with the BMW Club NZ.

The last bit of major works still ahead is the painting of the bumpers and the boot lid, which I hope to have a crack at this weekend.

I've alerted the Trans shop to two minor issues with the refurbished trans -as per the last post above.  So it will go in sometime for "remedial works"...

20210117_174143.jpg

20210117_174157.jpg

20210117_174207.jpg

20210124_165241.jpg

• Like 4

Finally have managed to complete I guess this car to a point where I'll take a wee rest...

Replacement bumpers and bootlid now on.  Did my own painting, sanding, cutting and polishing with a pretty OK result in the end...

Remade "BMW582" has gone on and the all important "M" badge 😲 to complete the (now) NZ new type look.

Just an annoying oil leak remains which I fear is the driver side top chain cover which I don't think is a small job.  It may have to wait a little....

20210221_114214.jpg

20210226_170139.jpg

20210226_170154.jpg

20210226_170305.jpg

20210226_180515.jpg

• Like 8

It's a bit of a worry when another itch pops up and you haven't quite dealt with the present one...

Things going for it - it's one of my favorite colours and it's NZ new... that's it...

20210529_125634.jpg

20210529_125723.jpg

20210529_125733.jpg

20210529_125741.jpg

20210529_130311.jpg

• Like 5

Some great attention to detail. Not many clean E39 (non M5s) left so they are worth giving some TLC.