hqstu

e38/39 Central DHB

2 hours ago, hqstu said:

On its first decent drive, the biarritz 540 held up in 3rd gear, and would not shift higher until I had stopped "spirited" driving and cruised for a while...

Upon getting home I read the trans ecu with INPA and "temp sensor fault" was up.  I suspect that the trans temp reached a point where the sensor faulted/spiked and the trans went into a protector mode to keep revs high thus oil flow high?

It looks like I may need a new electrical harness for the trans as the temp sensor is integrated into the loom. 

Trying to get a trans shop to advise or look at it is difficult as everyone is getting sick... FCP and maybe DIY here I come...

Good on ya Stu, love the positive attitude. 

• Like 1

Just ordered new loom , genuine filter, gasket, zf lifeguard 5 fluid from Alltranz in Auckland. Not cheap but these trans need genuine stuff and the price was not too much more than sourcing offshore in this case.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Eagle said:

Id take it out of another run and monitor the transmission temp. INPA has reading for the t-stat etc also iirc. Maybe the heat exchanger might be partially blocked?

Given it’s a temp sensor fault and not temp high leads me to suspect the loom and a bit of googling kinda supports this. I suppose after 22 years the current loom probably well pickled… but I will take it out tomorrow for a good run.

I had the exact same problem on my E39 540. After spending well over $2000 at a couple of trans shops trying to get it solved and it still went into limp mode on a hot day with the AC on, I traded it in on an E60 540 the very next day 🙂 

27 minutes ago, hqstu said:

Given it’s a temp sensor fault and not temp high leads me to suspect the loom and a bit of googling kinda supports this. I suppose after 22 years the current loom probably well pickled… but I will take it out tomorrow for a good run.

Fair enough. Id just want to see what the sensor is reading especially when it hits limp.    

17 minutes ago, Spudooli said:

I had the exact same problem on my E39 540. After spending well over $2000 at a couple of trans shops trying to get it solved and it still went into limp mode on a hot day with the AC on, I traded it in on an E60 540 the very next day 🙂 

E39 540i addiction is hard one to break for some haha

• Like 2

Changed out the Biarritz trans wiring loom over the weekend, in addition to a new genuine filter, gasket, and Penrite ATF FS fluid (LT71141 compatible)

Went on a Club run up highway 22 yesterday and can report transmission is happy, as is the rest of the car, and owner :)

IMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0162.jpg

• Like 7

Not too much of an update for a while but things are ticking along.  The main news being the Titan Silver 540 is now seriously for sale after a bit more work on it, paint being the main focus. $7,500.  Please message me for further information.

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

IMG_0440.JPG

IMG_0441.JPG

IMG_0443.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0450.JPG

IMG_0424.JPG

IMG_0428.JPG

• Like 5

Must be the best value 540i ive ever seen for sale. Someone will get a good deal and wont have to spend 1000's down the line for once.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

You'd be the man to ask, I hope... I always wondered what differences lay between Motorsport and Motorsport II suspension, do you have any insight into this?

Compared to Mtech I the 540i Mtech II suspension gets M5 front shocks, lower front springs. Progressive and taller rear springs with different shocks to accommodate. Ride height is 10mm lower. Don’t quote me on this but I think swaybars are slightly stiffer too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Martin (the actual man to ask...)

This car has the Motorsport II suspension but with Bilstein B8 shocks.

Titan is SOLD :)  (the new owner is keen as), onwards with focus turning back towards Topaz, with a full prep and paint Summer coming up.  Also on Biarritz a power steering hose is going on as well as new under car plastic covers (today's job).  Biarritz also needs full paint, but is OK in meantime whilst I practice more...

20210829_095553.jpg

IMG_0029.JPG

• Like 5

15 hours ago, Young Thrash Driver said:

Do you anticipate the blues being a lot harder to get right than the silver? Man that topaz is pretty.

I've read and watched that silver is harder than others.  I'll be painting entire car(s) so as long as I get the paint at once then should be OK.

• Like 1

Topaz is now largely stripped down and now attacking the very old stone chips on roof that have rusted a bit, had to get severe with it, and a bit of filling to do...

IMG_0564.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

IMG_0566.JPG

IMG_0567.JPG

• Like 6

Barely had the silver 540 departed down the drive when a rather nice (albeit a bit daggy) NZ new 525 Msport came up for sale on the quiet. Nec minute...

Cracked bumpers and a pile of engine work, great night in the e39 rescue centre tonight...

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0709.JPG

IMG_0710.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0758.JPG

• Like 12

Oxford green is such a classic colour for the E39. One of my favorites for sure. 

• Like 1

Time for a bit of an update...

The OxfordG 525 turned out very nice and has now been sold to a lucky recipient, excluding my labour I even turned a very rare $299 profit lol...

If it weren't for the fact that the X3 is the ideal daily for my work/play at the moment it would not have gone anywhere...

Being rather time poor I farmed out the painting of the Topaz 540 to a mate of a mate who did come well regarded... the result was OK, but there is a bit of orange peel correction to be done at some point.  It has been assembled, a replacement windscreen fitted, WOF'd and the a/c regassed.  Lots of other stuff has been done when assembling such as rear parcel tray re-dye and interior clean, rear windscreen trim, side trims, M5 mirrors.  Things to do include repairing an assembly scratch on the rear bumper I just can't unsee, perhaps alloy wheel refresh and new tyres maybe.

I can't make up my mind which 540 msport to sell so I just may advertise both and see which one goes first...

As a refresher this 2002 topaz one has had a fair bit done, just review this thread... timing chain guides and all stuff in there is the main feature (as is with the Biarritz too), and now the paint and interior.

If anyone is interested now in either the 99 Biarittz Individual 540 or the 02 Topaz 540 then please message me. Prices negotiable and will depend on how much more I throw at these cars.... and I can fully expand on the extensive work done...

The dark M5 style 65 wheels on Biarittz will not be sold, which ever car sells will come with style 66's as pictured.

Oh yeah.. in other news, a 2000 e38 740i Msport has found its way here... much to be done in the e39/8 rescue centre... although my business model /community service of "buy cheap / spend heaps / sell for a massive loss" I realise is unsustainable... just ask the missus... 😂

IMG_0903.JPG

20220115_162500.jpg

IMG_1096.JPG

IMG_1097.JPG

IMG_1098.JPG

IMG_1099.JPG

IMG_0792.JPG

• Like 11

5 hours ago, hqstu said:

although my business model /community service of "buy cheap / spend heaps / sell for a massive loss" I realise is unsustainable... just ask the missus... 

Less is more, just need to lower your standards. Just ask all the flippers on trademe.

• Like 2

Nah, yolo, do it for the love. Love your work! Keep them oldies alive

I've always wanted a Blue E38 M-Sport... Might have to stick my hand up when she's done.

The Topaz Blue 540 is now sold and off next month to its new home in Christchurch.

I painted the rear bumper again myself and the result came out good.

IMG_1223.JPG

• Like 6

On 1/28/2023 at 5:13 PM, Neil McCauley said:

I've always wanted a Blue E38 M-Sport... Might have to stick my hand up when she's done.

This one's going straight to the pool room...

I'd say you'll have your hand in the air for a considerable amount of time... :)

• Haha 1