Sign in to follow this  
nzsapper

Looking for tyre recommendations E36 M3

Hi - I know I have been here before but cant find any posts on the topic, basically I have now been backed into a corner and  need to get at least two new tyres and my go to Falkens 452/453s are no longer available.

So I am now struggling to find a decent replacement and today I was asked if I wanted to go to Bridgestone RE003s in 245/40/17

Can get a Maxis in 235 40 17 but this brand is a total unknown to me

Car has style 22s , not staggered 

Thoughts - 235 vs going 245

Edited by nzsapper
add content

Bridgestone RE003s are great tyres, I've seen good reviews of them even in more powerful cars like the 335i. 

Eagle F1 Asymmetric are probably better so if pricing is similar I'd go for them. 

Can't go wrong with the Michelin Pilot sport range either.

If you want to have fun in your M3 don't get the budget Chinese tyres. Those might be ok in a Toyota Passo, but not in a sports car!

I have just returned from another tyre dealer and they have said that going to a 245/40/17 will be fine

Suggested 

PS4, Eagle F1s and Z tyre Z1, never heard of the last one , apparently its a UK tyre.

http://www.ztyre.com/

I had conti sports contacts on the front of my e46 m3  . Size was 225 /45 R18 on a 8 inch front.

On the e46 they had the best front steering and great feel. I’ve since run 235 fronts in Bridgestone re11 and Michelin PSS and whilst these have more grip the turn in and feel imho was better with the conti.

Worth  putting on your list and in 17inch friendly sizes 

• Like 1

You may already know this Paul but in case you don't...

• Stock e36 square (7.5") setup (3.0) is 4 x 235/40ZR17
  • Stock e36 staggered (7.5" + 8.5") setup (3.2) is 2 x 225/45ZR17s (front) and 2 x 245/40ZR17s (rear)

The maximum recommended tyre width for a 7.5" rim is 235mm but you can stretch 245's on. This means you can open your options up by going for the staggered setup above on square wheels. I would prefer that to a square 245 setup because I would suggest a 245 is too wide at the front for an e36 M3.

The other option, since you only need two new tyres is to consider bumping the profile of the 235's up to 45 because there are a lot more 235/45/17 options out there than for 40's. They'll fit just fine but you'll have a taller sidewall.

Also, in my very subjective and humble opinion, all RWD sports cars should run a staggered setup. ?

I agree completely with William, I tried a 245 on an 8 inch rim and it just felt off. I went staggered and on my E46 with Ohlins suspension and bigger sway bars etc and it worked really well. Just persevere and find decent 235s or go staggered, I agree its not easy. Buy once cry once. 

Hyperdrive have Yokohama AD08r's and Falken Azensis Rt615k+, both are reasonable tyres if not class leading. Staggered setup solves a lot of problems.

Thanks everyone for your experiences re this minor issue I have, just to confirm a staggered set up on my 7.5s is all good?

so 225/40s front and 245/40s on the rear?

Will keep an ear to the ground re some style 39s  or maybe I have a look at those style 24s

58 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

If the suggestion above is 235/45 fronts and 245.45 rears on 7.5 wide rims the science  doesn't play out too well 

Mine? No, it wasn't meant to read that way.

IMHO: 245/225 is a viable, if not optimal, setup. 235 square is the alternative, no other combos. Separately, one has more options with 235/45 v's 235/40 these days so worth considering.

That's all. ?

my bad that was meant to read 225 not 235 -  I should have proof read before posting

to be honest, I think you need to look for staggered wheels in order to fit staggered tyres on.

I would put 235 40 17 on the wheels you have now (7.5" and drive that as it is, then keep an eye out for a set of staggered wheels then fit the correct 225/45+245/40 combo then.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3pedals said:

Suss out those 24's theye are lightest factory M3 wheel - style 39's are second best but quite a bit stiffer - my wheel of choice on an E36

Have pm'd him re the 24s and will also keep looking some 39s. 

1 hour ago, 3pedals said:

Suss out those 24's theye are lightest factory M3 wheel

The cast 24's are lighter than the forged 24's. Not by very much, but enough to make a point of it.

Edited by leichtbau

AD08R wouldn't be bad if you want to stay square.

Cheers all - went with some Goodyear Eagle F1s to say square for now and to be honest there is not much out there at the moment, this UK review of 3 tyres sealed it for me. Granted review was with Skoda but beggars cant be be too fussy , still intend to purchase a set of style 24s or 39s.

Oh and the price - $239ea fitted

Edited by nzsapper
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, nzsapper said:

Cheers all - went with some Goodyear Eagle F1s to say square for now and to be honest there is not much out there at the moment, this UK review of 3 tyres sealed it for me. Granted review was with Skoda but beggars cant be be too fussy , still intend to purchase a set of style 24s or 39s.

Oh and the price - $239ea fitted

Good call. I've been running F1's for years on my M3 and have no complaints.

• Like 2

They're excellent tyres. Handled great on my modded 335i, and I've properly thrashed them on backroads and the track. 

I liked them more than the PS4 on that car. PS4 had more ultimate grip but it just seemed to 'snap' when it lost grip in the wet, while the Goodyears always had a nice smooth transition that was easily controllable. Even the traction control would cut out harshly with the PS4, but was able to smoothly modulate power on the Goodyears. 
Might just be that the slightly wider than stock PS4 wasn't a good match for that car as they generally have excellent reviews. Got the stock MPSS on my M4 and not sure how I feel about them so far, they felt a bit 'snappy' in some situations but part of that could be the car and me still getting a feel for it...

• Like 2

On 7/22/2020 at 8:32 PM, 3pedals said:

Interesting comments in the video about 'the car' 'a volkswagen in a dress with slammy suspension' .

Tyres are part of the suspension  system and matching tyre choice to suspension set up and car balance is generally overlooked. 

A slammy,  hard sprung car that loads up the front tyres needs a very firm tyre case and solid shoulder , does he bother to mention the load ratings of the tyres - were they all the same ?  in 18 ich sizes PS4's are 91/92  and Conti are 95 /97  so the latter will perform better on a FWD 

Having driven one its not that firm, no firmer than say a an 90 Msport car.