Sign in to follow this  
Matt

130i LCI manual - with some upgrades

Managed to get my hands on some OEM blackline tail lights so just fitted them this afternoon. Subtle difference but I love it!!

Before and after below:

IMG_2070.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

• Like 4

They look great!

Good form, where did you get yours from? Mine should arrive this week.

I got them second hand from a parts place in Germany. Probably paid a bit much, but oh well, the want level was high!!

• Like 1

Oh it makes sense now.  I was following a white E87 the other day with these.  I just thought it was a good tint spray tbh.  It looks good on black but didn't look that great on white.

On 9/21/2020 at 11:34 AM, NZ_InFerno said:

Was it mine lol

No, it was a rough looking E87.  I have seen you car before but I didn't notice the rear lights.  Maybe it is the extras on your car that make it work.

Awesome sauce, whos doing the tuning?

It's all come out about as a "while I'm in there" when doing the valve cover gasket. Can't believe how stiff and brittle the old gasket was, no wonder it was leaking! Then also also while I was in there I did both DISA valves, new PCV hose and connector, new coils and spark plugs, plus a new alternator belt, tensioner and idler pulley for good measure. So after all that, the car feels great, way better than before! But that could be as much to do with all the adaptations being reset from having the battery disconnected (I assume this happens), rather than the MILVs, or anything else.

I have bought the tune from Stage Fabrication & Performance though. They seemed to be the most recommended for the MILV mod. Haven't loaded it yet though, will aim to send the standard file off to them this weekend, so hopefully get the tune back and load it in next week! Be very interesting to see how different it feels again post tune...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matt said:

It's all come out about as a "while I'm in there" when doing the valve cover gasket. Can't believe how stiff and brittle the old gasket was, no wonder it was leaking! Then also also while I was in there I did both DISA valves, new PCV hose and connector, new coils and spark plugs, plus a new alternator belt, tensioner and idler pulley for good measure. So after all that, the car feels great, way better than before! But that could be as much to do with all the adaptations being reset from having the battery disconnected (I assume this happens), rather than the MILVs, or anything else.

I have bought the tune from Stage Fabrication & Performance though. They seemed to be the most recommended for the MILV mod. Haven't loaded it yet though, will aim to send the standard file off to them this weekend, so hopefully get the tune back and load it in next week! Be very interesting to see how different it feels again post tune...

Adaptations don't reset with battery disconnect, got to command it to forget what its learnt. Sounds promising! 

Do stage FP send you out a dongle and software link, or is it third party stuff? 

• Like 1

Oh, interesting about the adaptations, I always assumed they did reset with a battery disconnect! Definitely promising in that case...

Yeah, a dongle with a USB cable, plus a link to some software called iFlash.

BTW, if anyone else ends up doing MILVs, I bought the spring removal tool and happy to share it round!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Installed the tune this morning! Nothing to report yet, spent too much time on the car lately to convince my partner to look after the 2 little kids while I go out for a drive ?

While I was down in the footwell though I finally got around to installing the aluminium BMW performance pedals. This will be Step 1 in a whole bunch of interior upgrades I’ll be doing... More to come in the coming weeks! 

97FC18A6-12FC-4509-B41B-51C004C5458E.jpeg

• Like 3

Bringing it tomorrow? Keen as a bean to check it out. 

19 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Bringing it tomorrow? Keen as a bean to check it out. 

Can’t make it tomorrow unfortunately. Will definitely try and get to one of the November or December ones though. Should pretty well have the interior stuff all done by then too!

• Like 1

Just managed to fit in a quick half hour drive. First impressions are really good!!! The engine feels like it has really woken up, I think the MILVs plus tune has really lived up to the promise. Although it will never be the same kind of gain as a stage 1 tune on a turbo car, it kind of just feels like previously you only had 80-90% throttle and now you've suddenly got access to all 100%, and it is right the way across the entire rev range, right from the bottom. I really notice some extra growl from the exhaust around 3000 rpm too, then it just pulls really strongly right past 7000 rpm. 

It might be a lot of work, and a lot of money, for not a whole lot of extra power compared to what can be done with other cars, but overall I am VERY happy with it ?

• Like 3

Nice one Matt, did you get a dyno chart with the tune?

My fuel economy, for a daily, is already terrible (it uses more fuel than the M3) so I'm not sure I want to push that out any further!

No dyno chart, unfortunately. Both the StageFP website and the MILV website are slightly vague on gains, I guess because it depends on other mods. 

This dyno chart below is from the MILV website, which is probably the best to go off? The tuner that did this is now the guy at StageFP, so probably just the same. If mine is anywhere around the 240whp mark now I'd be pretty happy. Hopefully one day will actually have the chance to test it on a dyno myself.

image1-N52.png

As for fuel economy, I average 10.5-11 L/100km at the moment. It'll be super interesting to see how that changes now! I pretty much fill up weekly so should know pretty quickly.

What sort of driving are you doing?  That is 1-2 L/100km more than my stock auto that I drive pretty hard.  Mostly open road and windy hills for me.  I'm just curious.  Strangely I am more interested in economy than power in this car.  Are there any gains to be made without effecting economy too heavily?

Yes it's got a name.  It has brown interior.  The Mrs named it.

Screenshot_20201005-081712_2.png

Edited by Driftit

It is curious about how much 130 fuel economy varies, I get 9.5km average around auckland (pre-lci manual) and get low 8s on solid road trips, and I certainly dont make any efforts to save gas. On my old daily Akl-Raglan-Akl trip the 130 used noticeably less gas than my 1.6 corolla at the time. Ive seen some people report 12l/100km, seems to vary hugely. 

Auto: mid 8's if I try hard on the open road on long trips, one multi-km stretch of twisties will easily ruin that out to high 9's.

Around town? ? 11's or 12's...

I'm averaging 9.9l/100kms pre lci manual on 98, mix of town and open road. Absolutely not driving for economy either. 

I do see 8.5l on the motorway cruising. 

You can see by the colors in my little app there.  9.8 is at the high end for me.  Usually sits around low 9's.
Ignore my average though.  I messed up a few fills.
It's good to compare some fuel usage between drivers with a similar driving style for once haha.

Just checked.  Best ever was 7.51 L/100kms.  On Gull 98.  All open road KM's going from Mtown to Auckland.  Mrs must have been asleep.

Edited by Driftit
  • Like 1

I know we're clogging up the thread but does everyone run 98? Or noticed any efficiency/differences on 95. I've always used 98.

1 minute ago, NZ_InFerno said:

I know we're clogging up the thread but does everyone run 98? Or noticed any efficiency/differences on 95. I've always used 98.

I can actually compared Gull 98 vs Waitomo 95.  Will take a look later.  I can move our fuel discussions somewhere else too.