Sign in to follow this  
Matt

130i LCI manual - with some upgrades

Thanks! The door pulls aren't a wrap, they're factory BMW items for a 1M. Probably the most expensive possible way of doing it, but quality is awesome and they fit perfectly! Part numbers are 51418051245 and 51418051246, and they are a direct fit on E87 door cards (for LCI at least).

• Like 1

Got a link to that wireless charging doofa? Thats slick

4 minutes ago, Jacko said:

Got a link to that wireless charging doofa? Thats slick

https://www.inbay.systems/en/product/charging-compartment-for-bmw-1-series-e81-e82-e87-e88/

Although I bought it off ebay, so have a look there too. Only thing to note is that it is meant to fit onto centre consoles that don't have an ashtray, so if yours does (i assume most do) then you also need to buy the storage tray to replace the ashtray (PN 51 16 7 136 190), and removing the ashtray and fitting that pretty much needs you to remove the whole centre console so kind of a pain in the ass. Considering I was swapping so many other parts over though it didn't really add any significant extra effort for me though

• Like 1

And it's a much more practical storage pocket, even without charging, than the BS ashtray!

• Like 2

Looks amazing mate - need to bring it to the next Auckland meet!

• Like 1

how much for the alcantara gauge pod (without stitching) once your one with the orange stitching arrives :)

1 hour ago, leichtbau said:

How much was the amp and wiring Matt?

Amp was $375 from Driving Gear in NZ. The wiring harness was about $160 (maybe a tad more) from a shop in the UK. Probably makes more sense just to make one yourself but this seemed like less hassle at the time.

47 minutes ago, qube said:

how much for the alcantara gauge pod (without stitching) once your one with the orange stitching arrives :)

I'll sell it for $120 if you're keen? Cost me a good bit more than that but such is life ?

Im just worried once i start ill end up having to alcantara everything else (aka money) but im keen. Let me know once youre ready to let it go!

Ha! Well I won't be the one to talk you out of that ?

I'll let you know once my new one arrives!

Damn that's looking good! She's getting pampered big time. I really like the 1M look, and all the Alcantara. I'll be looking out for tweeters for mine now, decent sound upgrade there and plug and play! 

Wish I'd known about the gauge pod ? would have bought it to go with the other matching Alcantara interior pieces.

42 minutes ago, NZ_InFerno said:

Damn that's looking good! She's getting pampered big time. I really like the 1M look, and all the Alcantara. I'll be looking out for tweeters for mine now, decent sound upgrade there and plug and play! 

Wish I'd known about the gauge pod ? would have bought it to go with the other matching Alcantara interior pieces.

Thanks!

Yeah sorry I only just managed to figure out what was happening with the orange stitching version and hadn't thought much about what to do with this one. I may have something else you might be interested in though, I'll send you a PM later

• Like 1

So I took my car into P&S to get the new rear axles and wheel bearings fitted ahead of the trackday I had booked for Sunday, in the hope that it would cure the annoying vibration I had. It didn't end up going quite to plan though, the axles and wheel hubs were totally seized in the wheel carriers and they couldn't get them apart at all! So they ended up having to source some replacement wheel carriers and hubs, just to be able to fit the new axles and bearings. Unfortunately that meant my car had to stay on the lift over the weekend and I missed the trackday 😥

After courier delays, and being sent the wrong part TWICE, I finally got my car back yesterday evening after 6 days!! Good news though is the vibration is totally cured now! The car now drives like a BMW should again, FINALLY!! So despite the drama, and missing the track day I am stoked to have the car back and just be able to enjoy it again. I have pretty much replaced everything on this car that can possibly need replacing, so now looking forward to just driving it, and hopefully not have to do anything else to it for a while.

Next job is to give it a proper clean and then bring it along to the meet on Sunday. Hopefully will get to see a few of the other 130s there too!

• Like 3

So was it wheel bearings / axles causing the vibes??

My Christmas project is too do wheelbearings on mine, they're fine but at the ks it's done I'd rather tick em off.. Hopefully not seized onto shafts. 

See ya Sunday

Yeah, can't tell you which one it was exactly. My guess is the most likely culprit is the CV on the passenger side axle that sits closest to the exhaust. But who knows, I'm just glad it's gone!!

Definitely prepare yourself for a fight when it comes time to do your wheel bearings though. Hopefully yours aren't as stuck as mine were!

On 11/24/2020 at 12:56 PM, Matt said:

Bit of a long post this time, but there is much to update on!

Firstly, there is interior updates 4, 5, 6, and 7 (ish)?

As I hinted at above I'm adding more alcantara bits through the interior. The inspiration is the 1M coupe, and the goal is to pretty much replicate the complete 1M interior in the 130i, which means getting rid of the textured aluminium completely (which I've never really liked) and swapping it either for alcantara covered parts, or matte black plastic, exactly as in the 1M. I am also going for the orange stitching where I can on the alcantara. I haven't got all the bits yet (more coming), but so far this is where I'm at...

Alcantara door pulls on all 4 doors:

3y5wDte.jpg

Genuine 1M handbrake boot with smooth leather handbrake handle, Genuine 1M gearshift surrounds, gearknob and alcantara shift boot. I have also replaced the ashtray with a wireless Qi charging pad from Inbay, so no more charging cables runnning across the centre console!

bES8mVZ.jpg

qaFSx10.jpg

Next up I have been doing some upgrades to the ICE. My car was optioned (or not optioned, if you will) with the base audio which sounds pretty crap. Considering I seem to spend 1.5-2 hours a day in this car on my commute, a better sounding stereo was well overdue! So I have added in the following:

• Focal 4.320 4 channel amp, plus the Focal BMW IMP 2.1 wiring harness, just to make the install easier. This makes it plug and play in newer BMWs but given the age of mine, I installed it exactly the same way as the factory Alpine system is done, by splicing into the existing speaker wiring. So now the front door speakers, and under-seat subs are run off the Focal amp, and the rear speakers are run off the factory headunit
  • E8X/E9X Logic 7 tweeters. I chose these since they are a factory part, the fit directly into the existing (empty) tweeter pods, and plug into the second socket on the factory door speakers. I actually think the base door speakers are fine for the job they do, they just need tweeters and proper amplification to get the most out of them! If you can get them second hand off ebay too, it is a relatively cheap upgrade
  • One thing that isn't up to the job, in my opinion is the factory under-seat subs, so these have been replaced with "GRS B200-4 ASD Series 8" Glass Fiber Subwoofer" which I managed to score from parts express at 75% off on a clearance special! Now there is actually some proper bass to be felt from the system, and since these are designed for BMW, they fitted perfectly into the factory enclosures, and the factory wiring plugged straight in.

Suffice to say, it sounds WAY better now, definitely of the quality I expect from a BMW now, and it is actually enjoyable to turn the volume up loud finally!

Amp (currently mounted on a piece of Rimu, because that's what I had lying around ??

GpToMYG.jpg

One of the subs fitted in its spot:

lpW83ur.jpg

Logic 7 tweeters:

PZp3DZB.jpg

fY2gNOM.jpg

Last but not least, I got sick of looking at the phone mount stuck onto my centre air vent, which I always used for google maps, so I have added in a wireless apple carplay system from AliExpress. This is an add on unit that connects in to the existing CCC idrive, so it still has all the original idrive menus, but holding down the menu button, while in the aux audio screen opens up apple carplay. Since it is wireless too it means I can just leave my phone on the charging pad in the centre console, and no ugly cables to plug in! Extra bonus, it comes with a microphone for hands free calling, which i've mounted on top of the A pillar trim, and the steering wheel controls work to skip tracks etc when playing spotify/podcasts etc. Obviously there's no touch screen so you navigate around using the idrive controller. Probably as expected for a system like this it isn't 100% bug free, and does occasionally glitch or freeze, but it still has massively improved the car for the daily commute, so I am stoked with it.

F3SJRKI.jpg

11PQDqe.jpg

So as of now, the only piece of aluminium trim I have left is the one in the middle of the dash. I have ordered a replacement in black alcantara with orange stitching, as well as another gauge pod in black alcantara with orange stitching to complete the 1M package. Hopefully they come in the next month or two, and hopefully they are actually the correct version for RHD unlike the last one I bought.

While I was coding in the new cluster (a couple of posts up), I also finally got around to coding in the SPBR option for the M performance brakes (or the 135i version of that I have). Can't say I can feel too much difference to be honest, maybe a fraction sharper at first bite, but that could just be my imagination?? Anyway, I'm sure the coding option is there for a reason so good to do it finally and have it as it should be,

Lastly, the car is getting new rear wheel bearings, and rear axles fitted later this week, to hopefully (really really hoping) cure the high speed vibration the car suffers from currently. Will get the harmonic balancer checked at the same time, and the car will get a full condition check before taking it to my/its first track day on Sunday. Can't wait!

That's it for the updates for now. Hopefully it runs well at the trackday with no issues, then I will try and make it to the next Auckland meet the week after that, if it is on.

What unit did you get for the carplay? Super keen on it!

11 hours ago, Matt said:

So good - have a wireless carplay dongle for my E46 with its Android unit and installed a unit similar to this (plug in box to stock system) in my wife's A5 - really brings the cars up to date and wireless is great

• Like 1

Well, after ordering them at the start of October last year I have FINALLY received the last pieces of trim to finish my 1M interior conversion, which are the gauge pod and the dash trim. I'm stoked with how it has turned out, really gives the car a bit more of a special feel than the standard aluminium trim, I think. Pics below..

8SBVWtC.jpg

cZmzVUm.jpg

N7xteJY.jpg

Unfortunately though my headliner has now started to sag, so going to need to sort that out soon. Anyone got a recommendation on where to get that done and expected cost?

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, Matt said:

Well, after ordering them at the start of October last year I have FINALLY received the last pieces of trim to finish my 1M interior conversion, which are the gauge pod and the dash trim. I'm stoked with how it has turned out, really gives the car a bit more of a special feel than the standard aluminium trim, I think. Pics below..

8SBVWtC.jpg

cZmzVUm.jpg

N7xteJY.jpg

Unfortunately though my headliner has now started to sag, so going to need to sort that out soon. Anyone got a recommendation on where to get that done and expected cost?

Looks awesome Fella!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Matt said:

Just did mine DIY. Not super difficult if you have the time.

Material is a very close match to factory. All up cost about $120-150.

Normal rate seems to be $300-500.

Might be closer to the lower end if you remove the headlining yourself and drop it off just for the recovering and reinstall yourself.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, qube said:

Just did mine DIY. Not super difficult if you have the time.

Material is a very close match to factory. All up cost about $120-150.

Normal rate seems to be $300-500.

Might be closer to the lower end if you remove the headlining yourself and drop it off just for the recovering and reinstall yourself.

I've got 2 little kids so it's too hard to find the time for DIY at the moment! At $300-500 I'll probably just take it somewhere to get done, that's less than I expected. I was keen to have it done in Alcantara until I realised how expensive it would be just for the material alone! Yeah, factory material will do... 😅

On 6/3/2021 at 10:43 AM, Matt said:

8SBVWtC.jpg

cZmzVUm.jpg

N7xteJY.jpg

Where did you get the pod cover and the dash trim cover?

Going on my wish list!

• Like 1