Sign in to follow this  
jaimzthedrummer

Fly-by-wire throttle controllers - any thoughts?

Hi all,

I'm a bit over the laggy throttle in my F11 530d.

Putting my foot down is like asking the throttle to write a letter to the ECU, which may or may not translate to acceleration some time in the subsequent couple of seconds.

I've heard good things about I-Drive controllers. https://idrivenz.co.nz/. I did try searching for threads on it... but of course searching I-Drive in a BMW forum leads me down an altogether different rabbit hole! :-)

Any thoughts or experience with this sort of thing?

James :-)

I know that my 335i throttle is programmable and that moving from a low movement big opening throttle to a linear throttle map made a huge difference to drive ability. Is the lag just turbo lag?

I fitted a GP2 by Speedbuster to my VW R32 VR6 powered Touran...

It's adjustable via phone bluetooth.

I did it to REDUCE the throttle sensitivity,, because I struggled to control it smoothly =- it was either 100% nana, or full on launch!

The advantage with the GP2 is that it has a custom setting where you can set your own curve - it doesn't apply it instantly at startup though - I turn on my ignition, press the throttle to the floor, and it's set.

Your way would be so bad though, as it would get more sensitive as soon as you started driving.

It's sold as the Speedbuster GP2, the MAD Go Pedal and mine was actually supplied by TMC motorsport, though it was ordered via a speedbuster website:

https://www.tmcmotorsport.com/power-pedal-accelerator-tuning-phone-controls

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Herbmiester said:

I know that my 335i throttle is programmable and that moving from a low movement big opening throttle to a linear throttle map made a huge difference to drive ability. Is the lag just turbo lag?

Thanks mate. It's definitely not turbo lag. Pedal goes down... wait a while... then revs start going up.

It's most noticeable after making a turn or going over speed humps, so I'm guessing that it's checking all sensors and waiting til the car is fully settled before it reckons it's safe to accelerate. I guess I need a computer plugged in to see if the throttle is programmable..? Certainly nothing available via the the infotainment system. 

EGR issues are known to cause these problems. Have you had it checked (scanned) ?

2 minutes ago, B.M.W Ltd said:

EGR issues are known to cause these problems. Have you had it checked (scanned) ?

Okay, good to know. It's been in the shop once... I'll check if they scanned it.

It was scanned as part of the pre-purchase inspection (a year ago), but it was hard for me as a layperson to interpret the results. I knew about the tendency for the EGR to get all sooty, but none of the codes suggested it was a problem... then. I'll get it rechecked.

Thanks. :-)

These late model diesels are not wise for school trolleys as they need to be driven . The exhaust particulate filters clog up. Go out and give it a blast on the motorway for 20-30 km at 500 rpm below redline every now and again and watch the smoke. Just drive it in manual to keep those revs up. You can have some fun at the same time if you choose some back roads. Try getting the school chariot drivers to do that ?

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Give this a read

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/139215-bmw-f10-throttle-pedal-reaction-delaylaghesitation/

Or talk to Joe at Eurosurgeon about a remap. Not today though he's out at Hampton Downs

Edited by B.M.W Ltd
  • Like 1

Thanks Glenn. I've done the gearbox reset thing a few times and never really noticed a difference. I shall approach it thusly:

1) An Italian tune late at night on some dodgy back road

2) Scan/clean/replace the EGR

I don't want the car to be any faster so I'd only go remap if nothing else worked.

Thanks though. Appreciate the advice. ? 

All these throttle controllers are doing is changing your throttle mapping, there is no change in the time it takes the throttle position to be communicated to the ECU. Literally the same effect as just pressing the throttle further. 

But if throttle sensitivity is exactly what you want to change, then they're a decent option. Although this can also be done in the cars software with a tune, although you can't mess around with it as easily as the tuner needs to set it. 

• Like 1

Swing past mine at some stage James if you want to plug it in.

48 minutes ago, M3AN said:

Swing past mine at some stage James if you want to plug it in.

Hey yeah... thanks Dave. :-)

I bought a throttle controller for my E46.

I mean it works, and makes the throttle position far more sensitive through a bunch of different settings, but I don't feel it actually decreased the lag.

Being a manual with a closer ratio diff, It actually made it a real pain to commute in so turned it off. 

May work better in an auto.

I have a Pivot throttle controller that I had in my F11 535i, if anyone is interested :) 

Complete plug and play, still in original box.