Sign in to follow this  
lemusa

03 e39 540i Motorsport

Pedal covers. Another aliexpress special. The extra grip is great over the stock ones though so worth doing.

20200924_213402.thumb.jpg.2623d871710d7a26bcd9df3089ce1602.jpg

Today I went on a bit of a mindless drive around the port hills and stopped in at Halswell Quarry on the way back. I love how well this paint hides it's flaws.

20200926_165343.thumb.jpg.a1ed2a8dc80ff371ef822832a6cb040d.jpg

20200926_165317.thumb.jpg.74ffcc3408e411c1526f65d25e6c320c.jpg

20200926_165416.thumb.jpg.74ea645c89ecfe019cb07ad3b13d5b94.jpg

20200926_1653271.thumb.jpg.a55d4d9900988d4fc224c964a0c1016c.jpg

Still needs a clean!

Got some new cluster rings. Wasn't sure I'd like the chrome over the matte silver but it's growing on me.

20201002_212733.thumb.jpg.1902633b47f0b69d597d555fdc77a971.jpg

Gave it a wash today. It will definitely benefit from a cut&polish but I'm holding out for my mate who's starting up a detailing business. I've done all the graphic design for him so all 3 of our cars are getting done as payment. Really looking forward to seeing what he can do with it.

20201010_112740.thumb.jpg.c5a37649aea2459fced6fbe4ee2f69b6.jpg

And a snap from on the way to dinner tonight. I wish I knew how to use the pro setting of the phone camera ?

20201010_194722.thumb.jpg.b75db20267ecdaa4a83de33a62c65420.jpg

As a side note I'm getting more nervous about timing chain guides. I need to stop reading about them! There's no alarming noises but it's just in the back of my mind. We're building next year so I'm planning to do it after we've shifted so I can take my time. Wife requires my attention to remain firmly on finishing renovations on our house before we sell so hopefully they hold together!

• Like 5

Nothing to report other than she's been kicked out on to the street while we finish up painting the house. Does anyone else find that if they have to move the kids car seats in order to go out they just don't drive their weekend cars?

20210103_195805.thumb.jpg.2f422bb8f04b6d880a5393acdb3784df.jpg

10 minutes ago, lemusa said:

Nothing to report other than she's been kicked out on to the street while we finish up painting the house. Does anyone else find that if they have to move the kids car seats in order to go out they just don't drive their weekend cars?

20210103_195805.thumb.jpg.2f422bb8f04b6d880a5393acdb3784df.jpg

Yep. Mine has hardly been driven on weekends with the kids for ages. Occasionally I’ll move both seats over but that’s for longer trips. Otherwise it’s just easier and cleaner to keep them in the Rumion daily. 

Since my last post I've had little time to show her any love. We completed a heap of reno work on the house and sold at auction in May. We did really well out of it but I'm just happy to have my life back!

IMG-20210513-WA0000.thumb.jpg.122831945771db2eb83705081850297e.jpg

We're in a rental until around Christmas which is a townhouse so parking is limited. The garage is jammed full of stuff so luckily, because we're at the back of the block, I can park it in this little extra area.

20210626_131718.thumb.jpg.1cd823c1088fe97890115bc1f59d6f8f.jpg

The new parking spot now requires moving two cars out of the way to get to it so chances of driving it are even slimmer. I'm still on the same tank of fuel from my earlier post 😏

I've had it out once since we shifted so of course when I went to start it the battery was dead. It's a new battery as well so hopefully I haven't shortened it's life too much. My charger wasn't big enough for it so got a new one that will also take care of maintenance. Just got to figure out a non intrusive way to run an extension lead.

20210619_141417.thumb.jpg.d587f6812e8aa3e3bf8128ab77247c1b.jpg

Today I finally got around to swapping in the new chain tensioner. Easy job and it has quietened the engine a tiny bit so I feel pretty good about it. Here's the one that came out. It's in good shape but at least now I know.

20210626_141741.thumb.jpg.f0fbffd4c368b608c87bdfca5b50c9e2.jpg

Went for a spirited drive around the back of the airport and all is well. I really need to drive it more. She might not be particular quick but with windows down and sunroof open it's easy to forget all of lifes problems.

• Like 5

Nothing to update other than trans is in limp mode. I haven't driven it for a while and intermittently chuck the battery on trickle charge. Last time I drove it was in limp mode from cold start and I haven't been able to clear it by disconnecting battery. It was driving fine before this so I assume it's a battery issue as I've been pretty bad to it. WOF also expired in August and I know it will need new park brake shoes to pass. Considering just putting reg on hold and leaving it until we're at our new place but summer is also here so don't know what to do!

• Sad 1

I haven't touched the car since my last post! I got the rego reminder today and I think I'll just put it on hold and deal with it once we're at the new house. Build is taking forever due to the material shortages so won't have garage space until May at this stage.

I'm still on holiday this week so I'm planning to tackle the drivers side seat twist. Might go battery shopping as well and see if I can clear the trans fail prog. And should probably give it a wash as it's home to many insects now. Definitely feel like I'm bringing shame to the BMW community but that will change eventually...

• Like 1

Good to see you replaced the hydraulic oil chain tensioner in the above post, they are so easily overlooked and the primary cause of guide issues!

11 hours ago, lemusa said:

Build is taking forever due to the material shortages so won't have garage space until May at this stage.

What kind of shortages have you bee experiencing? 

On 1/9/2022 at 12:28 PM, Michael. said:

What kind of shortages have you bee experiencing? 

Frame and truss were slow to get to site. Aluminium joinery took about a 3 weeks longer than scheduled to arrive and then they came in 3 lots over a couple of weeks. Bricks have been on site for over 2 months but big shortage of bricklayers apparently. Hopefully they get started this week. No date on insulation and gib supposedly arriving in Feb.

The builder reckons that once the walls are gibbed everything should be ok so I guess there isn't too many issues with hardware.

• Like 1

I'm a bad owner. I drove it 20km to the new place in May. No WoF or Reg but I did the math and I've driven almost that exact route over 2000 times without incident, so it seemed like a low risk endevour. She's still in limp mode but otherwise ran great once on the highway. Started first crank even after sitting for probably six months. Rego was put on hold until November...I have a feeling that will be extended. Life's been busy and I have a huge amount of landscaping to do before I'm allowed any garage time.

Despite my neglectful behaviour though, I have been thinking. I really want a manual one and seeing a couple come up recently has only encouraged this. But I've also been looking at LS conversions...I know but hear me out. I figure that I've got to put at least $15k into this. Manual conversion $10k, chain guides + the other "may as well" items $5k. By my quick math I could do an LS3 conversion for approx $20k, doing most of the labour myself. Not sure about costs of driveshaft and I'm sure there is other things that would blow this out but I think it's a reasonable guesstimate. Yes I'd lose the purity but I would gain 100hp+ and have a more reliable platform.

I'm not too concerned about resale value as either way I'd have a version of what I want, but I wonder what the generally feeling about conversions are? I know in aussie and the US they're favoured but I'm not aware of any in NZ.  

Am I a fool?

20220507_111832.jpg

At the end of the day it's your money, spend it how you like.  Stockmarket investments, reduce your debt, take your family on holiday, Hookers & Blow, a project car that you'll never realise the money you spent on it should you or your family need to sell to settle your estate.., it's all up to you and nobody should  presume to give you advice.

Except for the bit about driving it unrego'd unwof'd uninsured.  You play the odds and won't even have a holiday t-shirt or a sore knob & hangover to show for it if they don't fall your way, for want of a $500 flat-deck ride, and you could have $50k+ of debt for the damages.  Madness!

Good luck with your decision making, a great first world problem to have.

Being on the road without WOF or Rego improves your situational awareness, encourages you to stay within the posted speed limit and drive in a careful and considerate manner. :)  Of course, not everyone knows that's how it works... :( 

Cheers...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Everyone knows that you should drive faster with no reg/wof as it means less time on the road so less time of being caught...

There's plenty off the shelf bits for LS conversions so if it's want you want and have the ability to do it, then go for it