Sign in to follow this  
deleb

B48 stage 1 tuning

I was reading the forums and saw everyone here recommends the MHD tuning but I couldn't find any options for my car. I have a 2017 330e (F30, B48 @ 180hp) so lots of power to draw from it. Does anyone have any experience with bootmod3? Seems to be a similar product and has many options for my engine: https://www.protuningfreaks.com/products/bootmod3-b48-bmw-tune-330i-230i-125i-225i-220i-420i-430i-520i-530i-x3-x4-20i-30i ($595 USD for 1 tunning map, $645 for all maps).

It also seems replacing the charge pipe is a must so was looking into getting one of these: https://www.ftpmotorsport.com.tw/products/bmw-b48-b46-charge-pipe

What I haven't found much info yet is on the spark plugs; would I need to go a step colder for stage 1? I'm not even sure what's the stock plug for this engine ?

Do those seem like good options? Should I buy from abroad and ship it here or is there anyone in New Zealand that I could buy from?

I can't speak from any F direct F series experience unfortunately (only from E series and general boosted vehicle experience). However looking at the power gains promised from the stage 1 map, on 98 fuel needing step colder plugs seems unlikely. 

Always go with an aftermarket charge pipe when overboosting. 

With the numbers listed you're probably adding about 4 PSI of boost on that stage 1 map so more than enough to make the stock pipe go bang. 

Thanks Harry, appreciate the feedback. The charge pipe it’s already on it’s way, can’t wait to get it installed and tuned!

I might just leave the spark plugs in there until they give up

On 9/5/2020 at 8:48 AM, deleb said:

Thanks Harry, appreciate the feedback. The charge pipe it’s already on it’s way, can’t wait to get it installed and tuned!

I might just leave the spark plugs in there until they give up

The boost shouldn't make the plugs fail...it's more about reducing temperatures to fight knock. If you go further and increase the boost more with additional maps then 1 or 2 step colder plugs will become necessary. 

The upgrades to go for (IMHO) initially (after the charge pipe) are replace the stock air filter system, catless downpipes, inlets and probably an upgraded intercooler. You can use your logs to determine when the right time to go to cooler plugs is. 

• Like 1

Received the charge pipe today. The guy from FTP was awesome to deal with, shipment was also super fast. Can't wait to have some time to get it installed and run the tune!

I've also been looking into further upgrades but will take it easy for now... will see how long it takes for stage 1 to feel "not enough" ?

The stage 2 mapping requires a high flow/decat downpipe. They don't seem too expensive from RM motors (https://rm-motors.com/en/produkt/downpipe-bmw-f30-f31-f34-gt-lci-330i-330ix-330e-b48-2/) but this will actually require someone to solder it to my current exhaust? I'm confident enough to unscrew and replace anything in the engine bay myself but wound't be able to do any soldering. Would this cause any troubles with WOFs?

Cold air intake and charge cooler radiator upgrades start getting more spendy... The B48 uses a water radiator as heat exchanger instead of a conventional intercooler. The one that comes from factory does a decent job even for a stage 2 tune, as long as you keep the car off the track.

The guys in the states/Europe have been getting some massive numbers out of tuning these 330e's. This thread relates to the G20 chassis but the gains are bloody impressive! 

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677345&highlight=330e+tune

Edited by Navin

9 hours ago, Navin said:

The guys in the states/Europe have been getting some massive numbers out of tuning these 330e's. This thread relates to the G20 chassis but the gains are bloody impressive! 

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1677345&highlight=330e+tune

That's really impressive ? 429 Hp / 707 Nm with stage 1! It seems the engine version is what determines if you can get that much juice out of it. When I saw your message last night I run out and popped up the hood but couldn't find the version anywhere ?

Apparently the B48B20A is the one that comes on the 320i and B48B20B on the 330i which explains why the 2nd has so much potential.

Will need to have a good look when installing the charge pipe!

On 9/8/2020 at 9:55 PM, deleb said:

Received the charge pipe today. The guy from FTP was awesome to deal with, shipment was also super fast. Can't wait to have some time to get it installed and run the tune!

I've also been looking into further upgrades but will take it easy for now... will see how long it takes for stage 1 to feel "not enough" ?

The stage 2 mapping requires a high flow/decat downpipe. They don't seem too expensive from RM motors (https://rm-motors.com/en/produkt/downpipe-bmw-f30-f31-f34-gt-lci-330i-330ix-330e-b48-2/) but this will actually require someone to solder it to my current exhaust? I'm confident enough to unscrew and replace anything in the engine bay myself but wound't be able to do any soldering. Would this cause any troubles with WOFs?

You are right, looking at some vids online it does appear it's not a bolt in section :(. Any competent exhaust place can take care of that for you, I don't have any recommendations though locally. 

Regarding WOF. This is how it is in NZ as far as I can interpret what is written. Your car must comply with emissions requirements, which without the CAT it is not. However the issue in NZ is that they don't test emissions on the WOF and has anybody ever seen a roadside test? 

I think you just have to be prepared that one day in the future they might start actually testing the emissions and then you'll have to take some action (probably refitting the cat :( ) . 

On 9/8/2020 at 9:55 PM, deleb said:

Cold air intake and charge cooler radiator upgrades start getting more spendy... The B48 uses a water radiator as heat exchanger instead of a conventional intercooler. The one that comes from factory does a decent job even for a stage 2 tune, as long as you keep the car off the track.

I'd do the cold air intake almost as a first upgrade, big restriction removed and they sound good. 

Air / Water intercoolers are great compared to air-air. 24 TIMES better conductivity from water....so you are correct you can likely go very far with the current setup. Lucky. 

I finally found the version on my engine: B48B20A, same as the the 320i. It's probably only the newer versions of the 330e that come with the better engine... The newer 330e also has 113hp from the electric motor, while mine has 76 so not surprised they can get those 430hp from the new car ?

I think I'd be very happy with 250 + 76... will need to wait and see. I also thought I would be very happy waiting even further to do the intake but Harry you're changing my mind...

Btw, many thanks Harry and Navin for the feedback and links!! Really helps having more information on the topic :D

• Like 1

I put a stage 2 tune on a my '16 330i using MG Flasher. Getting ENET to work was... Challenging. But it's easy compared to boosting an M3 :D

Highly recommended. 

INB4 "ITLL EXPLODE, YOU MORON. GET AN E30. WHY U SO DUM!?"