BrentNZ

E24 Engine swap, M62TUB44 or N62B44_48?

Hi again,

Another engine swap in the making for a E24 635csi, want to put a V8 in, was thinking E39 M62 but do like the few extra HP from the N62B44 or 48, I realize the wiring aspec is a little more complex, will run donor car DME alongside auto and ecu for that.

My question, is there anything physically different with the two that would make this more difficult?

I'm aware of the, header, steering box issues but thought I read something about the Oil sump pump or perhaps oil? lines at rear of engine?

Thanks in advance for your comments/ suggestions.

Brent

• Like 1

General consensus is the the N62 is a pile of junk and best avoided, always leaky and full of plenty of issues they just shouldn't have. Unless you can get a mechanical warranty on the engine not worth bothering with. 

M62 certainly has a better track record, but complex, older now and need the timing chain guides done, vanos work and other fiddly stuff. While apart valley coolant block plate seal should be done along with other 20 year maintenace items. Switching to a non water cooled alternator is probably a good idea too. 

Personally I'd use an older M60B40 and refresh that, a well proven reliable vanos free motor, double chain timing and idler gear for the chain rather than cost cutting U shaped guide that wears out as used on the M62. Still a few things to do given they are 25-30 years old.

Or just use an LS GM engine and sleep at night knowing it will run forever without a problem :p 

• Like 3

Both the n62 and m62 have their quirks.

n62 is rear sump, so factor that in.

And ignore Michaels offensive suggestion of putting a chevy engine in a bavarian ?

• Like 1

M60\M62 hybrid if you got money to spend, best of both worlds. Ive yet to see a M62 non vanos with bad guides in NZ but that maybe down to build numbers. Either way the non vanos motor is the more reliable version. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Michael. said:

Can always put a BMW badge on it! 

"you're awful Muriel!" ?

• Haha 3

Thanks for the comments :), it needs to be BMW engine in there... agree its not the cheapest/ power option but needs BMW under the hood.

So I fluked it this week... picked up a X5 E53 4.6is (M62TUB46, 347hp) from a local wrecker, rego lapsed and didn't want to revin and sold it to a wrecker, I've just purchased the whole car minus wheels and a few other random bits missing.

This will be the perfect engine after a bit of maintenance work is completed, allegedly drove fine when dropped to yard, around 250k on the clock apparently so will investigate the engine and perhaps try and find some history if possible.

2020-09-10_15_08_15.jpg

2020-09-10_15_09_52.jpg

• Like 2

Finally managed to secure a later version 635csi with the E28 platform, NZ new.
Glovebox full of receipts, no significant visible rust and not in the common areas.

Already on axle stands, front struts removed and on there way to Speedfactor to get the Adjustables welded on, new Brake rotors ordered for the E34 540i Rotor with E32 caliper upgrade sorted.

I could only order mixed colours of the wheels I wanted to get the right sizes so will drop the 17x10 Rears off to get painted Silver to match fronts.

Fingers crossed this will all be back to me before Xmas and I can get it dropped down and looking how I want.

(Yes that is the donor M62B46 engine in the back ground :))

2020-11-29 13.16.55.jpg

2020-11-29 13.15.28.jpg

• Like 3

Upgraded and rebuilt E32 750i brakes calipers with new rotors and pads.

XYZ Adjustable suspension fitted along with the 17x8.5/17x10 BBS Reps in Silver with Machined lip fitted. Ride height still yet to be dialed in, very close on front so will look to massage some clearance in the bumper area if needed.
Ordered a E32/E34 V8 remote brake booster setup over the weekend which will hopefully solve some of the clearance issues in that area when the engine goes in.

Hoist has been busy with other projects so haven't had much time to spend on this one.... 

2021-01-25 10.40.29.jpg

2021-01-25 10.40.19.jpg

• Like 5

Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now. I am really looking forward to see this done, I've always had a vision of an e24 with a v8. Just seems so right.

What tyre size did you go with on the 10s?

Edited by M M

What could possibly go wrong :)

I used 255/40R17 as I had a pair off another project.

any update on this? about to do the same sort of thing

Awesome, can't wait to see the progress! Such a badass combination!

Unfortunately not much progress other than collection of parts.... Large case LSD, Engine mounts and remote Brake Booster.

My sons R32 Coupe has taken over the hoist for too long and also picked up another project car so just collecting dust at the moment while I finish off other cars.

Got to really push hard with big projects like this, but at least you're getting some parts in order :) 

Another critical part of the puzzle found this week…. Getrag 420g V8 gearbox complete… purchased a complete car that I will wreck out to recoup some cost… not a M5, but a 540 manual swapped with m5 box.

• Like 2

Have a guy keen on the old M30B35 engine so shifted it into the shed and showed it to him running, deal done.

couple of after work nights and have the engine and gearbox removed.

Still have the 4hp22 gearbox if anyone wants one.

Will do a few more things before putting it back in storage while I keep collecting bits.

59A152E9-0454-4825-9A5A-BE7385DB03EC.jpeg

F8DBE719-25BE-48DB-9D72-E1FD79A26B2A.jpeg

Car back in shed, removed most of the ABS, master cylinder and items in the way on passenger side, dropped the engine in and onto mounts, its tight everywhere :)
Don't have the manifolds on currently and I know they will be an issue.

Will remove again and fit chassis spacers to give more clearance plus maybe some new engine mounts for a bit of extra height.
Alternator is pretty much touching chassis so hoping new mounts or a spacer on left side will lift it away.

2023-05-06 19.24.37.jpg

• Like 3