Sign in to follow this  
Jacko

GR Yaris

These things look like they'll be a hoot :D

• Like 2

Wonder how much they'll sell for in NZ? 40-50k ?

Lot of money for a little car, its cool to see Toyota realising theyve been boring as snot for the last 25 years are fixing it... 

Saw a rumour that this engine will be in the new MR2 as well, pretty strange days when 3 cylinders are cool :D 

The cheapest they'll ever be is the day you buy it. This and a 1M would be my ultimate two car garage.

13 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

I think i read last week about 55k.

Looks very capable and sounds a bit v8 like... artificial cabin engine noise maybe?

Isn't that around what you can get a Hyundai i30N for?  Would rather the Hyundai TBH.

1 hour ago, Driftit said:

Isn't that around what you can get a Hyundai i30N for?  Would rather the Hyundai TBH.

Way more trick than the poor mans golf GTI, and much faster (and will be rarer). The i30N is cool because Hyundai made a fun car instead of its usual midrange whiteware on wheels, but compared to other cars in the class its pretty generic (and a 130 is faster! ? 

It really is a throw back to the old Toyota days of making oddball entertaining cars, like Starlet GT and SC MR2s etc. I hope it does spur manufacturers to stop making shitty generic compact SUVs, bring back the days of GTiRs and Silvias :) 

• Like 1

Ah you see I hated the FWD Starlets and was never a fan of MR2's.  I also still have a S13 which these days is a whole lot of meh and money.
Now if they made a newer KP60 and ditched the Yaris name and went back to Starlet I would be on board.  But that's a nope to the Sporty Econo Box at 2nd hand M3/4 prices.

I dumped Toyota when they murdered the Soarer.

Edited by Driftit

Awd, turbo 3 cylinder manual hot hatch sounds perfect to me. I like the i30n but I'd take the yaris for its weirdness. 

Sporty Econo Box - 300bhp 1200kg hatch with mechanical front and rear LSDs, aluminium doors and a carbon roof? Thats nearly a group A WRC rally cars specs :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BreakMyWindow said:

Looks very capable and sounds a bit v8 like... artificial cabin engine noise maybe?

Just a 3 cylinder, they have a great noise. 

Probably ducting the intake noise into the cabin, they do this on some models with a special intake noise generator. 

I want to hear one with a decent exhaust or straight pipe. Straight piped 3 cylinder ecoboost fiestas sound amazing.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 5:44 PM, BreakMyWindow said:

That is a lot for a little hatch. 
I may be a bit biased, but I think the megane RS is a better buy. 

You might be missing the point of the rally bred GR Yaris if you think the Megane is better...

It's a scrappy little point and shoot rocket, not a track slayer.

Megane has 10 more kw, and 30 more nm from an extra cylinder and 0.2l, but weighs 100+kg more than the Yaris. Also not awd like the Yaris. The Yaris does 0-60 quicker than a Megane.

I went and looked up how much a GTiR, (probably the most comparable car of the 90s?) was new NZ in 1993 - $45,000 or nearly $77,000 in today money.

• Like 2

On 9/8/2020 at 11:43 AM, KwS said:

I want to hear one with a decent exhaust or straight pipe. Straight piped 3 cylinder ecoboost fiestas sound amazing.

It's all about the Daihatsu Chirade GTti sound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1