Sign in to follow this  
hyperreal

Help! New to the E30 platform - what to look out for

Hey team, somewhat new to the BMW platform as a whole really with limited previous experience (come from a strong JDM build background). Looking at purchasing an E30 Coupe and while I have general what to look for know how - what are some things you guys would insist on making the car go from a HELL YEAH! To a..oh heck nooooo.

I am hoping to secure a manual with an M20 platform which will start off as a daily (to get a good feel for the vehicle) and then slowly transition into a longterm build / restoration. 

On that note, if you know of anyone with a sound E30 that may be interested in finding it a good forever home where they can oooo and ahhhh and the build progress (we'll be sure to post it all here) then send them my way!

What to look out for... the first 10 points have to be rust.

Parts prices are silly. Though now the value of a good E30s is going up there's more places stocking bits and even places starting to make some of the NLA bits from BMW.

Enjoy... it'll probably bankrupt you but at least you'll enjoy the process.

BTW... they never made an E30 coupe... only 2 door and 4 door sedans, tourings (station wagon) and convertibles

Edited by Radar

If you're not on there already,  E30 Owners New Zealand Car Club on FB is pretty active and not a bad place to put feelers out.

I'm possibly going to be in the market for a manual 2 door 325i sometime next year - will take a few $$$ and rust is number one as I'm sure you're aware :)

Rust:

• Engine bay battery tray
  • Front scuttle panel near the elephant drain
  • Bulkhead underneath the fuse box
  • Rear inner arches - will be seen from inside the boot
  • Rear battery box
  • Sunroof drains and panel
  • Front guards especially if a kit is over the top
  • Front inner wings - spreads from the guards
  • Front and rear arch leading edges
  • Sills / jacking points
  • floor - most mechanics over the years have mistaken the cups where the chassis was attached to the production line as jacking points, so the underseal splits and traps all sorts of muck, which leads to
  • Accelerator pedal mount
  • Jacking points
  • Bootlid lip seal attachment point - most will be like swiss cheese
  • Rear tail light attachment points
  • And finally, the terminal one, which is the roof. Any E30 with visible bubbles in the roof is worth more as tin cans.

Just be aware that what you would have paid 2K for 5 years ago, you will now pay 10K for.
They are a collectors car now.  The days of the cheap fun bang for buck driving machine are gone.

• Like 1

E30's will have really jumped the shark when all those discarded series cars get their cages chopped out to get put back on the road.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, leichtbau said:
  •  
  • And finally, the terminal one, which is the roof. Any E30 with visible bubbles in the roof is worth more as tin cans.

Just get one with a factory roof delete 

• Haha 1