Sign in to follow this  
SHRNTA

E39 525i Touring/Wagon

Hi All,

anyone know any details/info about this 525i Wagon (NZ New), Black (exterior), Black leather interior. 09/2001 build

https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/cars/bmw/listing/2768840292?bof=ae0GtHTU

Cars in Wellington, I'm in Auckland. Should I take the punt and go for it. AA inspection likely to be Friday, but dealer says he has another buyer waiting in the wings.

Thanks

Looks to have been passed around a fair bit with 9 owners also.

If you are fine with the high change of spending 1-2k to get bring it up to standard, then go for it.

19 minutes ago, Eagle said:

Looks to have been passed around a fair bit with 9 owners also.

If you are fine with the high change of spending 1-2k to get bring it up to standard, then go for it.

1-2k spend? what you thinking these would be? cooling system etc?

Yeah I guess the 9 owners includes dealers.

Looks like the previous owner had it for 3 years and the owner before that had it for 9 years. I'm tempted but not sure about it being a 525i. I've heard there's not much difference in fuel consumption between 525i and 530i...

I am after a cream interior e39 wagon but these may never come up.

13 minutes ago, SHRNTA said:

There are a few oxford green ones with cream interiors running around, mostly ex Jpn, some ex UK.  in fact Rose City Cars in Palmerston North had one for years (over priced though it may be), 

Just that when they come up for sale, they are hardly ever wanted. 

2 hours ago, SHRNTA said:

Looks like the previous owner had it for 3 years and the owner before that had it for 9 years. I'm tempted but not sure about it being a 525i. I've heard there's not much difference in fuel consumption between 525i and 530i...

If no record of it being done it comes done how fussy you want to get\how reliable you want it to be, but yeah - Cooling system, Transmission service, oil seals\hoses, vanos seals, PCV and suspension probably need some sort of attention. Most of the E39 wagon ive driven have worn subframe bushings.

525i less likely to burn oil than the 3.0L, probably only advantage it has.

• Thanks 1

Pretty much any E39 you buy can EASILY eat $1-2K in parts - and that's if there is nothing "wrong" to start with.

We had a manual 525i sedan. The fuel consumption between the 525i, 530i and 540i IF driven similarly, isn't that different at all. The V8 uses a bit more around town, but not that much really.. It CAN use a lot more, but it goes places a lot faster if you do! The auto 525i is working a bit harder, so probably actually uses more in town the the 530i, and the 520i (even the 2.2 M54 version) is a waste of time really - the only advantage is usually the lower purchase price - it's certainly not going to save you any fuel, while it's hauling around the same weight of car (which is the biggest determining factor of fuel consumption in practical terms)

On 9/14/2020 at 2:55 PM, SHRNTA said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/3474506935947201

Not a great example but nice colour combo