Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

40% off Tyre Sale at Hyper Drive

Hyper Drive has a pretty good deal on right now.

https://www.hyperdrive.co.nz/products/landing/227/tyres

Worth a look if you are nearly at new Tyres time.
Last set we got shipped down for free and fitted locally.

Hate to rain on the parade but that's their perpetual sale, they just rename it from time-to-time. When they don't have the sale the "normal" prices are close the the 40% off deal. It's totally illegal but any complaints are just likely to lead to higher prices.

I've had 4 x tyres in my basket there since Feb and the name of the sale changes but the price never does.

Edited by M3AN
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

are there any other supplier that are cheaper? I had  Eagle f1 D5s a few years ago with a larger discount from Hyper because a Trademe dealer did them for about 10 dollars cheaper a tyre.  and they actually honoured their best prices guarantee. 

16 hours ago, M3AN said:

Hate to rain on the parade but that's their perpetual sale, they just rename it from time-to-time. When they don't have the same the "normal" prices are close the the 40% off deal. It's totally illegal but any complaints are just likely to lead to higher prices.

I've had 4 x tyres in my basket there since Feb and the name of the sale changes but the price never does.

They used to have absurdly high prices when there wasn't a sale, and the sales would bring them down to a bit cheaper than average. Guess now that they have market share they've changed to a lazier tactic. 

I do hope they've at least started using torque wrenches to put wheels back on. I've deformed two tyre wrenches attempting to get wheels off after they changed my tyres a couple years ago. 

Edited by Matth5

12 minutes ago, Matth5 said:

I do hope they've at least started using torque wrenches to put wheels back on. I've deformed two tyre wrenches attempting to get wheels off after they changed my tyres a couple years ago. 

This, it's almost worth paying someone else to mount the tyres and wheels. I had to yell into their workshop in Mt Wellington once not to use a gun, they looked at me sideways then made a half-arsed effort with a leaver. I did them properly when I got home.

However (discount included) it's difficult to find better deals elsewhere with any regularity. 

FYI report any fraudulent sales you see with proof attached to MBIE

Ive found them super responsive when reporting fraudulent sale practices if you send them the proof although they dont give you any updates you can usually see the output of your work.

Business near me had a permanent sign installed saying discount 'today only' after about 2 months i took some photos over a week then I reported them and the next day they were taking it down.

Also a major NZ hot water cylinder company that sells online sold me a 'no hidden fees' cylinder replacement online - i read all the fine print and bought on visa just incase, sure enough when they came around they quoted and additional $750 ($500 for electrician to switch the wiring over and 250 because needed to drill two holes in hollow cinderblock wall.)

I told them to piss off, 'I bought a no hidden fees replacement' and they refused to refund my money, i told them this was an illegal bait and switch and reported them to MBIE and 3 days later I had an apology from the director and a refund.

Edited by andrewm

On 9/19/2020 at 12:24 PM, 3pedals said:

If you ask your local tyre guy for the same tyre at the same time he can do the same price 

Not even close here in Masterton and over in Wellington. Closest was $100 more and he said that was at their cost so they weren't keen. Couldn't find anyone willing to match. Happy to offer me a worse brand to match the price though.. 

That was on some 4wd tyres a few months back. I was calling around because I needed them same day. 

In my experience even if the sale is bullshit at Hyper the price is still better. They also would often match the Toyo wholesale price for R888's for me which was good. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm very close to needing two rear tyres for my 535i and hyper have 4x 255/40/19 Hankook Evo S2 for about $1150 fitted.  That is cheap as chips for an upper mid range 19" tyre.

The Triangle TH201 (LOL) I have on there at the moment are about $600 for 4 :o.  I have been pleasantly surprised by these, they were new on the car when I got them and have done a decent job and lasted 25000km so far.  So tempted to get them again at half the price of Hankooks.

Edited by GorGasm

On 9/19/2020 at 12:08 PM, M3AN said:

This, it's almost worth paying someone else to mount the tyres and wheels. I had to yell into their workshop in Mt Wellington once not to use a gun, they looked at me sideways then made a half-arsed effort with a leaver. I did them properly when I got home.

I always remove my wheels and take just the wheels in for them to fit new tyres to. Hasn't been an issue and means I can refit to the car myself. 

1 hour ago, GorGasm said:

The Triangle TH201 (LOL) I have on there at the moment are about $600 for 4 :o.  I have been pleasantly surprised by these, they were new on the car when I got them and have done a decent job and lasted 25000km so far.  

Interesting you say that. Had some triangles on my dc2r years ago and they were the scariest tyres ever. Would break grip without warning in the dry and kinda hopped and skipped on corners. Hopefully they went back to the drawing board in the years since. 

Yeah when I bought the car I was ready to replace them as soon as I drove off the yard.  But I gave them a couple of weeks and some wet weather and they have been perfectly fine since then.  It gave me cognitive dissonance, how could these cheap crap Chinese tyres which I know to be bad actually be good.

I don't push them at all though, so maybe i just don't get anywhere near their limits?

I know tyres selection can be quite a subjective issue but what seems to be the "go to" for BMW owners on this site? I'm running "Supercats" (205/55/16) which I'd initially assumed to be a Chinese brand but subsequently I've learned that they're a budget brand of Bridgestone and are (according to the sidewall), made in ROC (Taiwan).

Criteria - superior wet weather performance and longevity.

Oh man... Supercats. Had them on my Evo 4 RS, probably one of the worst tyres I've ever had but lots of fun sliding around roundabouts in the wet. In terms of my go to Tyre now, Michelin PS4. Pricey but worth every cent. 

• Like 1